worst bomb possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

netrox

Reaction score
This scares me more than nuclear weapon even though this bomb does not kill people at all... what it does is destroy all electronics. I just can't imagine no car, no computer, no call, no transportation, nothing... we'd end up back to tribes and trying to survive and our digital memories will be totally wiped out:

"An EMP bomb, National Geographic explains, is "a bomb that's designed to go above the atmosphere and release huge amounts of energy," some of which in the form of gamma rays. Such a weapon would cripple electronics, but not kill people.

"In less than a billionth of a second, the electrical intensity on Earth's surface would become so hot that microchips would fry, power lines would overload and the electric grid would collapse," says National Geographic, describing . "Everything with microelectronics in it would stop: your car, your computer, the subway. There would be no electricity."

Electronic Armageddon: How An EMP Bomb Would Be A Deathblow To Life As We Know It (VIDEO)

wake me up when it happens

EMPs are cool, but my favorite bomb is the neutron bomb because it does mostly the opposite- kills people while leaving their stuff in tact. :)

I don't think EMPs would destroy all electronics. All you have to do is enclose your electronics inside metal and that should shield it. That's called a Faraday cage. The metal would have to be thick enough, depending on the magnitude of the pulse, but I would guess that a few centimeters should be more than enough. Perhaps even a few millimeters. If you suspect an EMP's about to go off, it's time to get out the tin foil and start wrapping. You might not be able to save all of teh internets, but at least you can save your stuff.

I thought you're talking about the HIV (using the HIV blood needles as the sharpnel) bomb invented by the Talibans.

I thought you're talking about the HIV (using the HIV blood needles as the sharpnel) bomb invented by the Talibans.

no idea what you're talking about.

If they actually devised such a bomb, it's totally stupid, inefficient, and a waste of time.

Yea, heard that years ago. Same concept with Ocean 11 that stole the EMP bomb that kills power in heart of Vegas... cool, eh?

The only vehicles that would STILL run and immune to EMP is DIESEL vehicles.

Only if you wonder why military tend to opt for Diesel vehicles. ;)

I am sure there are plenty huge conventional bombs, like Daisy cutter, MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs), Dam busters.

EMPs are cool, but my favorite bomb is the neutron bomb because it does mostly the opposite- kills people while leaving their stuff in tact. :)

I don't think EMPs would destroy all electronics. All you have to do is enclose your electronics inside metal and that should shield it. That's called a Faraday cage. The metal would have to be thick enough, depending on the magnitude of the pulse, but I would guess that a few centimeters should be more than enough. Perhaps even a few millimeters. If you suspect an EMP's about to go off, it's time to get out the tin foil and start wrapping. You might not be able to save all of teh internets, but at least you can save your stuff.

I wonder what would happen if a person was wearing a CI. Would it hurt?

Yea, heard that years ago. Same concept with Ocean 11 that stole the EMP bomb that kills power in heart of Vegas... cool, eh?

The only vehicles that would STILL run and immune to EMP is DIESEL vehicles.

Only if you wonder why military tend to opt for Diesel vehicles. ;)

Even if they have electronics?

Diesel engine does not have spark plugs,, they run by heat. Verses gasoline that needs sparks to iginite, once EMP sucks it out, there won't be any sparks then gas engine dies.

Even if they have electronics?

Diesel engine does not have spark plugs,, they run by heat. Verses gasoline that needs sparks to iginite, once EMP sucks it out, there won't be any sparks then gas engine dies.

That makes sense for older style diesel. However what about the injecters and etc. Aren't those electronics nowadays?

Injector is not electronic device, it is just a injector.

My Diesel engine (85 VW Jetta) that I had use mechanical pump to inject diesel into cylinder, there are no electricity used.

That makes sense for older style diesel. However what about the injecters and etc. Aren't those electronics nowadays?

Netrox, I caught the last part of that show the other night on NG, darn....fascinating and scary, too.

This scares me more than nuclear weapon even though this bomb does not kill people at all... what it does is destroy all electronics. I just can't imagine no car, no computer, no call, no transportation, nothing... we'd end up back to tribes and trying to survive and our digital memories will be totally wiped out:

"An EMP bomb, National Geographic explains, is "a bomb that's designed to go above the atmosphere and release huge amounts of energy," some of which in the form of gamma rays. Such a weapon would cripple electronics, but not kill people....
:confused:

Because of the gamma ray's penetrating power and ability to travel great distances, it is considered the primary hazard to the general population during most radiological emergencies. In fact, when the term "radiation sickness" is used to describe the effects of large exposures in short time periods, the most severe damage almost certainly results from gamma radiation.
Gamma Rays | Radiation Protection | US EPA

Gamma rays are deadly to people, so how can a bomb that emits gamma rays not kill people?

I'd better get me an old CB radio, good buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back