Close Captioned DVD player

kris2099

Reaction score
Hi all. Can anyone please advise which model/make of DVD players support Region 1's CC (close captions)? I could not find much information on this. And ebay sellers does not state or don't know which has CC decoder in them.

I have several DVD sets (Region 1) that only have CC but NO English subtitles. These include CSIs, Early Edition, Medium, etc. Mainly CBS/Paramount TV series.

Why bother putting CC nowadays where most of the rest of the major companies and the world uses "English subtitles for the hearing impaired" or "Subtitles for the deaf of hearing -- SDH" for DVDs?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I will have to check when I get home, I am at work at the moment. Will get back to you in a bit and whatnot

Looking for a DVD player with in-built CC decoder that can display Region 1's CCs

I will have to check when I get home, I am at work at the moment. Will get back to you in a bit and whatnot

Hi Jacob. No problems. Thanks.

It will be greatly appreciated if any person is willingly to share this information. Thanks. :wave:

Any brand name of DVD players include built-in CC circuit. Make sure to check CC, SHD or English Subtitle label in rear box of DVD movies before renting or buying.

Any brand name of DVD players include built-in CC circuit. Make sure to check CC, SHD or English Subtitle label in rear box of DVD movies before renting or buying.

What he says.

I got a cheap $20 DVD player and if the DVD is CC then you can turn it on.

Don't fall for you got to buy a high dollar DVD player just to get CC

What he says.

I got a cheap $20 DVD player and if the DVD is CC then you can turn it on.

Don't fall for you got to buy a high dollar DVD player just to get CC

You need a high dollar DVD player with CC built in if your going to watch upconvert movie on HDTV via HDMI cable ....

Upconvert take regular DVD movies and scales them up to High Def format and CC will not be carry over the HDMI cable so it will be needed for the upcovert DVD player to decode the CC and overlay it on video before it is sent to HDTV..

So if you going to use HDTV and plan to use HDMI then yes you need that Pioneer or any Upcovert DVD player with CC built in.

You can use cheap 20 dollar DVD player if use older RCA (composite yellow-video red/white-audo) then CC should work but it look terrible on HDTV because it would be stretched and fuzzy or use it on older non-HD tv SDTV.

My DVD player which have RCA plugs and 1080p support upscaling with CC and it is looking awesome.

Hi Jacob.

I just had a look at the Pioneer website. The only DVD player I can find close to what you have is DV-410V-K. There is another "K" at the end. Is that the correct one?

Also, with this DVD player, when you play a DVD movie with CC, do you use HDMI cable to get CC or do you use RCA cable to get CC?

I had a look at the DVD remote controller, there is no button for "CC" -- only "Subtitles". So when you place the DVD movie into the player, do you get an option that appears on the TV screen to turn CC on or....?????

Last edited:
Hi Jacob.

I just had a look at the Pioneer website. The only DVD player I can find close to what you have is DV-410V-K. There is another "K" at the end. Is that the correct one?

Also, with this DVD player, when you play a DVD movie with CC, do you use HDMI cable to get CC or do you use RCA cable to get CC?

I had a look at the DVD remote controller, there is no button for "CC" -- only "Subtitles". So when you place the DVD movie into the player, do you get an option that appears on the TV screen to turn CC on or....?????

Well, that must be a newer version, I think? We don't have that version in Australia or it must be an american version for it.

I have not yet to try the HMDI part of the DVD player but I can watch DVDs with CC/subtitles via RCA cable, while the DVD player automatically upscales with 1080p... and yes, you will have the option to have the CC/subtitles enabled on menu on the DVD, but remember --- it varies.

HDMI don't support closed caption in any DVD players. Better use RCA cable or componet cable.

I know that HDMI is different circuit between American and Australian style to support closed caption or not.

Will do some testing though, and advise y'all soon. :)

Will do some testing though, and advise y'all soon. :)

Try to do it. let me know. :)

both of Supertext Subtitles and Closed Captioning for any TV stations in Australia?

Well, that must be a newer version, I think? We don't have that version in Australia or it must be an american version for it.

I have not yet to try the HMDI part of the DVD player but I can watch DVDs with CC/subtitles via RCA cable, while the DVD player automatically upscales with 1080p... and yes, you will have the option to have the CC/subtitles enabled on menu on the DVD, but remember --- it varies.

Hi Jacob. I did not realise that you are in Australia. That simplifies things as I am also in Australia. Now since this DVD player (DV-410V) is an Australian release version,

(i) is this a multi-region DVD player or do you need some code to crack it?

(ii) Some Region 1 DVDs only have CC but no English subtitles. For example, the following Region 1 DVDs: CSI (CSI/CSI NY/CSI Miami), Medium, Early Edition, etc (mainly Region 1 CBS/Paramount/Sony TV series titles) all have CC but NO English subtitles. My question is does this Australian release DVD player able to display Region 1's CC?

(iii) What do you mean "it varies"?

we call it Supertext and captions here, it is the law that the subtitles must be available fropm 5pm to 10:30pm every day (primetime) and it will improve to get 24/7 in few years time, but we have subtitles available from 5am to 10am in the morning as well.

Back