Hearing Massage Therapist would like to give relaxation music to deaf clients, ideas?

Actually I'm a male and I've been a massage therapist for over a year now :)

My own office hasn't quite been open for a year yet. I'm finally getting the finishing touches on everything I want now. It's taken a long time and a lot of hard work.

Learning some basic ASL sounds like a good idea for communication. I did think about having a flat screen tv on the walls displaying relaxing imagines and video, but decided that currently they stick out to far, I'd have cords hanging around, and they are quite expensive. I do like that idea though if I was made of money :lol:

How about lava lamps or something like that to help the ambiance?

Honestly - skip the music ... go with nice lighting and (if the client wants) aromatherapy.

For (most if not all) Hoh and Deaf listening is WORK. It's not "relaxing". Some of us DO listen to music - but it's "active" for us, not passive like it is for hearing people.

If I'm going for a massage, or anything else where I want to be able to relax and "zone out" for that time about the last thing I want to try to deal with is "misc sound noise".

If your Hoh or deaf clients want music - invite them to bring their own setup (meaning if they have a special way they listen to music connected to their CI or Hearing Aids. For example, I have a DAI (Direct Audio Input) cable I use for music.

Seriously though ... just skip it.

Same here for me. Complete relaxation means not hearing anything.

It could be sub only without higher tones.

I'm enjoying the responses though :)

I do have the lighting good and relaxing, I provide aromatherapy in the air, and aromatherapy gel, oil, and lotions. A heated table, blankets, and a relaxing atmosphere. I'm just trying to offer even more.... if it's possible.

What helps me relax completely is the sauna-like air with the mint smell. Ohhhh...talk about relaxation. Now, I want a massage! :aw:

Hello, I'm new here and one of my deaf friends recommended I ask something here. I'm a licensed Massage Therapist and I live in Delavan, WI. There are a number of deaf who live in this area since the WI school for the deaf is here.

What type of music/sound waves do deaf find relaxing?

This is my idea. I've searched all over google and I haven't found anything yet. I'd like deaf to have the same experience as hearing people do when they come to see me. Hearing people get to listen to relaxation music or whatever music they find enjoyable. It could be slow and relaxing or upbeat and fast.

My idea is to have a subwoofer positioned under the table so the vibrations would go towards the person on the table over it. I'd also need to get music that would incorporate this as services such as Pandora don't seem to offer this that I've found.

Is my idea possible? If so, I'm open to all possible advice or ideas of how to do this. I understand speakers, amplifiers, and personally enjoy the most amount of the sound as possible.

If you're had a massage before, can you please tell me what you thought of the the music they had playing (if you could hear any or parts of it). My friend told me working on the low frequencies would be better which would be more expensive larger speakers. My understanding is I would agree with him on that for most, but I don't know.

:wave:

This looks like a great forum. I could probably learn many things here.

The thing is, people lose different frequencies. For me, I can't hear base very well but I am ok with high pitched stuff. So you will have to adjust for that. I would avoid stuff with vocals. Go with instrumental music or nature sounds. I like ocean sounds and Kenny G type music during a massage.

I would be nervous whether someone is speaking to me or is it music I hear ???:eek3:

I think I'd prefer peace and quiet, too,
so definitely ask first then set some music up if required.

Fuzzy

If you want to do it that way,

Simple music is best-- like Andre Segovia, or Gregorian Chant. Ask your clients if they want music, then ask them to bring in their favorite CD's. Choose your collection of music based on what they bring in.

OtOH,

Some would prefer to listen on their own equipment which plays music in the HA's themselves. I believe that I get the best possible quality of music that way. Music through the air just isn't as good.

The volume which some of your clients might prefer would probably be uncomfortable for you.

yes deaf therapist, that's me :D and yes it's a therapist not a masseuse, although I doubt you'd get a hard time using the term unless the person was really anal retentive. I manage to do this but I'm not completely deaf, well without my hearings I am lol. I'm profoundly deaf but with my hearing aids I'm HoH....sorry I'm kind of murky on the labels not sure exactly where I fit. I miss more than I "hear" but I get by well enough to communicate with the hearies, but most of our communication has be done premassage.

You're going to have to do that as well. Most of the massage, if you talk to them you'll be taking to the back of their head and they might not even know you are talking. If you need to ask them something tap them on the shoulder and get your head over by the face cradle so they don't have to break their neck to look at your face. Learning ASL isn't imperative, if that's going to be niche though it'd be a good idea. But using a few signs as far as pressure goes is imperative. I've even had clients come up with their own. After I've told them when they're face down on the table I won't understand anything they say they'll be all "oh that's okay I 'm just going to sleep anyway. I'll do this if I want more pressure *insert whatever they've come up with* or this if I want less". Thumbs up, is pretty much the best if they like the pressure, suggestions for less pressure, they can pat their hand down a couple times, more pressure? Do you know the sign for more? google it if you don't, it's really a 2 handed sign but they can use one hand for it and do it against the face cradle. Doesn't really matter what you do, it does't have to be "ASL" as long as you both know what it means.

Now music?? This is really going to depend on the person's level of loss. You are going to have a hard enough time communicating without adding background noise. Yes to you it's background music, for us, for most of us, it is gong to be background noise, and it's going to make it harder for them to understand you. So even if they think they want it, it might not be a good idea. There is music all through my spa, luckily every room has a volume control dial and I turn it way down in my room. It drives me nuts, it's not music, it's annoying messy noise. Some other things to think about, let's say they just want to feel the vibrations......if you do that it is going to be really really really loud for you.....so loud you might have a hard time hearing them. Also, is this a spa setting? If so not ever body is going to want to hear your music, which is what would happen if you had it cranked enough for them to feel the bass.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. Obviously you have nothing but the best intentions and you don't really understand. That's okay I wouldn't expect you to. Music just simply isn't the same for us as it is to you and personally I think it would make it harder for you to communicate with your client which could make a potentially frustrating situation even more frustrating, for both of you. But it's really going to boil down to...just how deaf they are.

I would be nervous whether someone is speaking to me or is it music I hear ???:eek3:

I think I'd prefer peace and quiet, too,
so definitely ask first then set some music up if required.

Fuzzy

This was happening to me last time I got a massage!!

ambrosia,
Is it offensive to use masseuse? Does it really mean sex worker? Or is that more of a regional thing?

ambrosia,
Is it offensive to use masseuse? Does it really mean sex worker? Or is that more of a regional thing?

I don't think so, it's just a term they're trying to get away from. The last couple decades massage therapy has changed, it's really like alternate medicine, and we're still trying to get away from our "reputation". Massage therapist sounds a lot more professional, while masseuse sounds like someone you could get a happy ending from, which is what they're trying to get away from.

I can't speak for every deaf person but I prefer silence, music even if it's turned up all the way would just be annoying. Sometimes when I'm at work I even take my hearing aids off because the constant chatter drives me crazy.

So I would not care for music and rather you focus on the massage itself.

Now music?? This is really going to depend on the person's level of loss. You are going to have a hard enough time communicating without adding background noise.

Oh Dear Lord, are you a yappy masseuse? Shhh. Just rub. :lol:

Oh Dear Lord, are you a yappy masseuse? Shhh. Just rub. :lol:
haha Absolutely not. But they do on occasion want to tell me something. A lot of clients are yappy, not with me though. I've had people try to chit chat, but after I've had to stop the massage a few times so I can squat down by the face cradle to understand them to answer questions like, "are you from Myrtle Beach, how long have you lived here, do you have kids, how many" I mean do they really care? really? No, so after they've figured out that chit chatting with me is just a pain in the ass they stop hahaha.

But actual massage related things do come up, especially if you're doing deep tissue, and you just got to talk to the peeps ;)

haha Absolutely not. But they do on occasion want to tell me something. A lot of clients are yappy, not with me though. I've had people try to chit chat, but after I've had to stop the massage a few times so I can squat down by the face cradle to understand them to answer questions like, "are you from Myrtle Beach, how long have you lived here, do you have kids, how many" I mean do they really care? really? No, so after they've figured out that chit chatting with me is just a pain in the ass they stop hahaha.

But actual massage related things do come up, especially if you're doing deep tissue, and you just got to talk to the peeps ;)

Gotcha. :) I pretty sure the girl that does mine doesn't speak English anyway. Lol.

yes deaf therapist, that's me :D and yes it's a therapist not a masseuse, although I doubt you'd get a hard time using the term unless the person was really anal retentive. I manage to do this but I'm not completely deaf, well without my hearings I am lol. I'm profoundly deaf but with my hearing aids I'm HoH....sorry I'm kind of murky on the labels not sure exactly where I fit. I miss more than I "hear" but I get by well enough to communicate with the hearies, but most of our communication has be done premassage.

You're going to have to do that as well. Most of the massage, if you talk to them you'll be taking to the back of their head and they might not even know you are talking. If you need to ask them something tap them on the shoulder and get your head over by the face cradle so they don't have to break their neck to look at your face. Learning ASL isn't imperative, if that's going to be niche though it'd be a good idea. But using a few signs as far as pressure goes is imperative. I've even had clients come up with their own. After I've told them when they're face down on the table I won't understand anything they say they'll be all "oh that's okay I 'm just going to sleep anyway. I'll do this if I want more pressure *insert whatever they've come up with* or this if I want less". Thumbs up, is pretty much the best if they like the pressure, suggestions for less pressure, they can pat their hand down a couple times, more pressure? Do you know the sign for more? google it if you don't, it's really a 2 handed sign but they can use one hand for it and do it against the face cradle. Doesn't really matter what you do, it does't have to be "ASL" as long as you both know what it means.

Now music?? This is really going to depend on the person's level of loss. You are going to have a hard enough time communicating without adding background noise. Yes to you it's background music, for us, for most of us, it is gong to be background noise, and it's going to make it harder for them to understand you. So even if they think they want it, it might not be a good idea. There is music all through my spa, luckily every room has a volume control dial and I turn it way down in my room. It drives me nuts, it's not music, it's annoying messy noise. Some other things to think about, let's say they just want to feel the vibrations......if you do that it is going to be really really really loud for you.....so loud you might have a hard time hearing them. Also, is this a spa setting? If so not ever body is going to want to hear your music, which is what would happen if you had it cranked enough for them to feel the bass.

Not to rain on your parade or anything. Obviously you have nothing but the best intentions and you don't really understand. That's okay I wouldn't expect you to. Music just simply isn't the same for us as it is to you and personally I think it would make it harder for you to communicate with your client which could make a potentially frustrating situation even more frustrating, for both of you. But it's really going to boil down to...just how deaf they are.

Awesome info and thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking quietness might be better after all :)

Thanks for the great info ambrosia. I think I'll just keep it how it is for now. They even make some subwoofers that are 12"x12" now which I could put close to the table and such. I think I'm going to put this project and idea on hold for right now. I"ll maybe have a couple people try it in the future, but I won't make it a priority.
I like your idea of setting up a plan before the session for pressure as well. Thank you :)

I was thinking something like a massage chair would work. Something hooked to the table that would have a sorta hummmmmm. That would work for me. Or something like a head set hooked to the bone behind the ear. Lot of deaf would feel a lot like that.

Not exactly music.. but maybe a blend of thrumming, humming vibration. I always feel sleepy when I sit in a vibrating chair or vibrating bed

I was thinking something like a massage chair would work. Something hooked to the table that would have a sorta hummmmmm. That would work for me. Or something like a head set hooked to the bone behind the ear. Lot of deaf would feel a lot like that.

Not exactly music.. but maybe a blend of thrumming, humming vibration. I always feel sleepy when I sit in a vibrating chair or vibrating bed

They do make headsets that play music through vibration through a bone.
HowStuffWorks "How Bone-conducting Headphones Work"

Back