Netflix, Blockbuster, Redbox, etc.

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
Grant was Netflix member for about three years. During the recent time when Netflix announced they will not offer captions on its streaming service for another couple year. Many people quit Netflix for good. It took him a while to make the final decisions to put Netflix account on hold. Strangely, they will not let him put an account on hold, but he could put it on hold for three months not on hold permanently. Netflix has very good members' comments on all movies – it helps him decide to rent this movie or not.

He got free 30-day trial with Blockbuster Online (BBO) through Twitter. BBO announced they would look into adding captions on their downloadable movies service. Later, BBO emailed him that they extended his free trial account until the end of December. Very nice.

Desperately he has only been with BBO for a month; he saw significantly difference between BBO and Netflix in many different ways. BBO has more services including rent DVD and Blu-Ray (no extra charge) discs, rent or buy downloadable movies, rent game discs, and of course you can drop discs at local store. (Depending on what package you pick) While Netflix only offers DVD and Blu-Ray (extra charge) and its streaming videos service, they have very fast delivery in comparison to BBO.

BBO has listed for closed captioned and subtitle but it’s often inaccurate. Sometime it doesn’t list anything at all. Very poor in this area.

Grant used Redbox service from time to time. It has its own advantage and disadvantage. Generally, it's pretty cool service and cheap – one of his biggest peeves is waiting for somebody to finish with Redbox kiosk in line. Sometime it will take them 10 minutes to pick couple movies. He just wants to drop DVD immediately and go, but he cannot do that. Of course, it’s not that bad after all. Another thing is – a very limited selection of movies unlike Netflix and BBO. What's more, Redbox do not show if the movie has caption or subtitle on the kiosk touch-screen menu. He already reported to Redbox about it few weeks ago.

From time to time, he noticed several DVD movies from Netflix or BBO do not have caption/subtitle. He would check at Amazon.com, Walmart.com or DVDempire.com to double check if it really has caption/subtitle or not. However, he noticed that retail box has caption/subtitle but not takes it too seriously until “Up” DVD released.

Due to the recent incident that deaf community got upset that Disney Pixar "Up" Rental DVD version does not include the caption/subtitle but retail box version has it. Again, this is not first time he saw it. One of the articles confirmed that Disney knew they remove all special features including caption/subtitle for a marketing reason.

Via Marlee Matlin's Twitter account: Spoke with Disney execs. Will restore Missing "UP" captions on DVD rental versions- a manufacturer error.

Oh yeah, in case you did not hear about HR3101, please tell your representative today! You can find more information under COAT. Go to Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology

Grant Laird, Jr. Blog Netflix, Blockbuster, Redbox, etc.

I never get to rent Netflix and Redbox DVD disc movies. Redbox DVD movies work to be captioned?

Grant Laird, Jr. Blog Netflix, Blockbuster, Redbox, etc.

I never get to rent Netflix and Redbox DVD disc movies. Redbox DVD movies work to be captioned?

Yeah, my wife and i always rent them for every Tuesday when the new DVD Movies release. If you are a new member and you will get a free three movies. You will need to sign up for join with redbox and give them for your mobile number then they will text you for your promotion. Most of them does offer captioned/subtitle. If you are rent movies without captioned/subtitle then you can report to the Redbox company that you are make complain and you don't have to watch them without captioned/subtitle then they will send you other promotion with free two movies. It's good one but it's negative is if you are late drop in redbox then they will charger your card for extra $1. So, it's good one!

Plz correct me if i wrong.

Also, i was recently called Netflix and find out if they already developed captioned/subtitle for ps3 and over internet but they said no not yet ... they hope and feeling will be ready about June, 2010. I told them that i am impatient because i want to rent ANY movies whatever i want to and pay $8.99 with unlimited... i like Netflix's service but without CC/Subtitle then i will not happy with it, you know what i saying?

Last edited:
I'm with Blockbuster Online. I've also rented from Redbox a couple times. Neither have failed me.

There are so many Redbox locations near here. I could drive down one street and pass by 5 locations that have 1 or 2 Redbox machines... within a few miles. I've never really had problems with lines since it's always empty when I'm in the mood to rent a movie from those machines.

As for Blockbuster Video, I've been a member for 5 years. 75% of the DVDs I rent are television shows since they're hard to find elsewhere. When I trade in my DVD mailers at the store, I rent recently released movies. :)

I'm with Netflix. I wrote a blog post about this very subject that you might be interested in over here.

just rent the DVD! And Netflix offer instant watch of foreign movies with subtitles that's good enough for me. Like Grant said that many netflix users quit... too bad for them as I am sticking with netflix as I enjoy renting DVD. I do use instant watch feature to watch those foreign movies. big deal!

just rent the DVD! And Netflix offer instant watch of foreign movies with subtitles that's good enough for me. Like Grant said that many netflix users quit... too bad for them as I am sticking with netflix as I enjoy renting DVD. I do use instant watch feature to watch those foreign movies. big deal!
I get a lot of foreign films from Blockbuster Online too. :)

sometime i do rent blockbuster not lots but once i want rent at redbox i saw at walmart and mcdonalds..But i would get that somedays..

big deal!
It is a big deal, to hoh or deaf people at least. I, for one, just got a BR player with Netflix capability, and I was looking forward to watching instant movies occasionally. However, now I see that I won't be able to since there will be no captions.

Apparently, new technology is here, and handicapped people be damned.

It is a big deal, to hoh or deaf people at least. I, for one, just got a BR player with Netflix capability, and I was looking forward to watching instant movies occasionally. However, now I see that I won't be able to since there will be no captions.

Apparently, new technology is here, and handicapped people be damned.

trust me! will have caption!! IF have CC on dvd or on list of languages says English for deaf or hearing i did click i learn from my friend i understand

I am also a netflix subscriber because I have no cable so i enjoy renting especially tv shows from netflix, and most new movies i rent from red box. I love netflix but I do wish they would caption the online movies and the on demand rentals, which blockbuster does not do either, and their online movies you pay for individually, so netflix seems the best deal to me over all. When i use headphones that connect to the T-coil in my hearing aid, I can do fairly well with some of the movies without captioning. But to be perfectly honest the lack of online captioning has had me frustrated for a long time. I really hope it improves, as I am very much into new technology and the latest fun gadgets out there. Hopefully they will keep their word and continue to work on the problem :)

UPDATE!! Netflix adds Captioning/Subtitle Option on the PS3 & Wii Starting October 18th. (still relies on the same limited number of titles - same as PC/Mac)

See Article: Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free, gets 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound (update) -- Engadget

All Netflix "Subtitles" work like DVD English Subtitles (bypassing the Closed Captioning chip on TVs and using its own technology to display English subtitles) With the new PS3 & Wii system upgrades (no Disk required), the option to turn subtitles on or off are on the Title Page of each title (where is shows "Start from the Beginning" "Add/Remove to Queue", etc.) On Titles with Subtitling added, there is a new button on the same line as the stars/rating/year/length called "Subtitle | Audio". Click on this to turn on Subtitles (also option to switch from spoken English to another spoken language such as Spanish, when available)

Here is a list of Netflix InstantWatch titles with English Subtitles.

Back