Top 10 Reasons for Learning Sign Language

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can communicate through windows.
Sign Language is a 3-D language.
You can sign with your mouth full
Hearing parents can communicate with their deaf child.
You can sign underwater.
Sign Language is a neat way to express yourself.
You can communicate across a room without shouting
Sign Language is beautiful.
You can make friends with deaf people.
Sign Language brings together hearing and deaf people. ;)

U can communicate in different cars! I love that about sign language..LOL!

telling a joke that hearing can't understand lol
or talking about them without them knowing what is talked about lmao on the subway...

off topic - my sisters can lipread through the glass windows and car windows without voice or gestures... I think it comes with territory being with me for so long...

:gpost: Yes, sign language is a beautiful language. I like that reasons for learning thanks for sharing Cheri

You can say some things in sign that words just can't express!

Nice one... :) but this one...
I personally cannot stand to watch one talking/signing with their mouth full. :ugh3:

You can communicate through windows.
Sign Language is a 3-D language.
Hearing parents can communicate with their deaf child.
You can sign underwater.
Sign Language is a neat way to express yourself.
You can communicate across a room without shouting
Sign Language is beautiful.
You can make friends with deaf people.
Sign Language brings together hearing and deaf people. ;)

Yeah I agree with you. I love sign language! It is most important because of commucation.

Dont forget about We can sign during give our man BJ or whatever. hee hee

one thing, nobody have done before....

sign in outer space!

It's already being done, but not in the way you implied. There are video televisions and the signals are beamed to outer space!:D

You can statements about people you know in sign that they cannot understand and likely never will. You can be truthful and blunt without getting your ass kicked.

You can have a 'private' conversation in public places as long as there are no other fluent signers around.

It can be way to teach others about Deaf culture if they see you signing in public.

sometimes you just cant describe something in words and you need a visual aid.

My friend and I are coaches for Special Olympics and when we don't want our athletes to know what we're talking about we sign.

Once we had an athlete go,

"Could you please stop signing? My head hurts watching you."

So yeah, privacy is a great thing in the sense that people won't know what you're saying but not in the sense that people won't stare at you.

ha ha

maybe this would be better place in the sign language and oralism section.

my adds to your list

loud environments don't lower understanding

it gets rid of the cumbersome precise structure of English allowing a quick communication that if not understood is negotiated.

If people want a language that is not understood may I recommend Latin I think more people know little bits of signlanguage than Latin

Sign language is prone to massive customizing so if small bits of communication regularly done can be shortened because people use the same phrase every time for clear meaning.

There are many cases in one on one conversations where two people talk simultaneous and understand the other person too try to do that with English.

It in close groups forces a method of sharing so that all are included in communications as communication in large groups is hard.

Good for communicating in loud noisy bars.

(For a while I was going out a lot with a HoH friend and once she moved, I missed the easy communication without having to shout all the time.)

You can statements about people you know in sign that they cannot understand and likely never will. You can be truthful and blunt without getting your ass kicked.

Everyone,

If you are ever asked this, we all need to deny Dixie said it or any of us agree. What we don't admit to won't hurt us!!:D

Back