Interpreter signed this, what does it mean?

aslrebecca

Reaction score
I grew up oral, started sign later in life. My interpreter tonight left immediately after job. I not understand what she sign, I try and ask her, she left and not answer me. It look like she play with her lip and her ear with #1 hand. Not major important, but really curious what she say. Thank you. :hmm:

I grew up oral, started sign later in life. My interpreter tonight left immediately after job. I not understand what she sign, I try and ask her, she left and not answer me. It look like she play with her lip and her ear with #1 hand. Not major important, but really curious what she say. Thank you. :hmm:

I beleive what you are talking about is the old sign for bored. It doesn't really have a direct English translation. It can be used to mean "killing time" or "nothing to do".

Can you give a more detailed description of the hand movement? Also, what was the context/subject/topic when the terp used the sign?

The woman was recounting a story of one of her childhood experiences. She said "I..." then the sign point at her mouth and the other index finger point to her ear). It wasn't the most fascinating story as even the interpreter had to stifle a yawn or two, but the sign caught my eye (yes, I was dozing off).

The best description:
Do you remember when you were a kid and you put your finger in front of your lips and move it up and down to feel vibration (okay, that's why I did it). I seen moms do it to their babes and make them giggle. I know I did it to both my babes. Okay, with that picture in your mind, point your pointer TO your mouth almost like "What did he say?" (I normally tap my chin but I want the visual to be understood). The other pointer finger is at the ear. They moved together up and down.

Last edited:
Two handed sign, right? Both hands moving at the same time? Sounds to me like bored/nothing to do like JennyB suggested.

Just a suggestion, maybe you can make a video of yourself doing the sign you have a question about. So everyone can see in 'in person'.

If it was this sign:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgcMQxbBjuM]YouTube - asl sign[/ame]
Then JennyB is correct.

Back