Name of city/state in sign

illustrator

Reaction score
I wonder anyone know your own city/state's sign language. For some reason, I couldn't find from the ASL book as there are non-exist. Therefore, only few states and famous city I know enough...

So, I want to know more about sign that inolved in cities and state and even the countries!

Midland, TX is my hometown, the sign is like table, but instead, use "m" and move pretty slow, down and up and down...

Texas... "X" and move like 7

Yep, new york is just .. 'Y' move back and forth (side to side) on ur other hand. I dunno if I am expaining that clearly. and Rome is the city where I live, 'X' move it up and down up down on tip of nose.

Originally posted by Willy
Yep, new york is just .. 'Y' move back and forth (side to side) on ur other hand. I dunno if I am expaining that clearly. and Rome is the city where I live, 'X' move it up and down up down on tip of nose.

no necessary know about New York, it's most popular sign. Now, that Rome is new to me. I learn another new sign. yipee!

ahhh... here sign for my hometown..

Sherman is where I was born and raised and still live here.. the sign for Sherman is u know college.. on palm of hand "s" on palm hand then sign like college when u get to an inch or two above the palm then from "s" to "h" because we have two colleges here in Sherman.

Texas of course "X" that look like 7! You know why? Because I'm from Texas too! :) (You right, Illustrator :))

well Stockton - it is the same like the sign for semester except more longer and Sacramento you just sign S-A-C

Re: ahhh... here sign for my hometown..

Originally posted by TexDeafies
Sherman is where I was born and raised and still live here.. the sign for Sherman is u know college.. on palm of hand "s" on palm hand then sign like college when u get to an inch or two above the palm then from "s" to "h" because we have two colleges here in Sherman.

Texas of course "X" that look like 7! You know why? Because I'm from Texas too! :) (You right, Illustrator :))

I keep hear that name "Sherman". I do know it's far north beyond Plano/McKinney. Now, that's new sign to me. :thumb: I learned! yipe!

Originally posted by BabyPhat21
well Stockton - it is the same like the sign for semester except more longer and Sacramento you just sign S-A-C

S-A-C? What's hell is that? What make them use SAC? It's bore sign!

Not long time ago, I actually invent the sign for Sacramento as sign in committee but instead... it's "S-C" I thought it's cool cuz they are king, sort of... Oh well, I guess I will have to change sign in correct follow the native city. :)

Hmm if im right i think you make a C with your hands and move as a shape C. Chicago. I think im wrong.

Originally posted by Willy
NO offended but I laughed so hard at one of my friend who was teasing about New York, "Y" up and down on your other armpit:laugh2: sorry about that but "Y" back and forth, side to side on other hand is better...

Me! O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A! *giggle* but really, you just sign "O K L A" in arch from left to right (if use right hand). My hometown- Tulsa, just "T" arch from left to rgiht.

lol for me - with i - move in 7 ... for Indianapolis ..... lol even tho i live near it - so what ?? :P

Originally posted by illustrator
I wonder anyone know your own city/state's sign language. For some reason, I couldn't find from the ASL book as there are non-exist. Therefore, only few states and famous city I know enough...

So, I want to know more about sign that inolved in cities and state and even the countries!

Midland, TX is my hometown, the sign is like table, but instead, use "m" and move pretty slow, down and up and down...

Texas... "X" and move like 7

Yup. Texan!:naughty:

Originally posted by Strawberry
Me! O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A! *giggle* but really, you just sign "O K L A" in arch from left to right (if use right hand). My hometown- Tulsa, just "T" arch from left to rgiht.

man, that's suck... I hate to keep spell all thru for state or city. :|

Originally posted by BostonIceFire
For illinois, just spell I-L, that's it.

:eek:

one of my friend make up sign for Illinois is...

"i" as "i" in the air and change to 'l" which sort of pussy in one sign. :lol: Because of the state's shape. :o

I am from a tiny village in South Jersey.
We spell "NJ" for New Jersey, of course.

My town, Dorchester, we just spell it Dorchester. (We = my best friend who is deaf, and me)

Nearby towns:
Millville------M move to right
Vineland-------V move to right
Bridgeton------B move to right
Ocean City-----O C fingerspelled
Wildwood-------W W fingerspelled
Camden---------C moved in 7 pattern, like Chicago, but smaller sign
Glassboro------GLASS (sign) then fingerspell B O R O
Atlantic City--A C fingerspelled
Deptford-------D on right side of neck
Sea Isle City--S I C fingerspelled
Cape May-------C M fingerspelled
Stone Harbour--S H fingerspelled
Toms River-----T R fingerspelled

Thats all I can think for the signs for my area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by sweetstrawberry
I'm from Louisiana, Use spell LA from right hand.

that remind me of my professional for English who is deaf for high school. When she sign "LA" and I thought she mean Los Angeles until she explain me bit that she actually from Louisiana. Now, I see... :D

Two confused sign. :(

Houston, TX - "H" instead "K" alike "kiss"

Dallas, TX - "D" use tap over left or right head

Austin, TX - "A" and move like 7

San Antiono, TX - "G" - sort of "turkey"

Lubbock, TX - "L" use tape over left or right head

El Paso, TX - (cool sign!!!) "O" on left hand and "L" on right hand - "L" move forward and back and forward...

Back