is this rude or disrespectful?

There will always be morons ready to make you look like a freak. Since you can't really control other people's behaviors, it's best to just ignore them and move on.

If they do the whole staring thing, shoot them a look, ask them if they have a question, or just stop what you're doing and freeze for several seconds. :cool2:

ummm .... in my situation, the guy could have easily made me into a pretzel.

Or, his hood ornament.

Wirelessly posted

This is a school experiment its not rude or disrespectful. The hearing students went out on observation and public reactions for this experiment.

I did an experiment at workshop training at medical center where I worked years ago. We had to wear gloves and open prescription bottles and how it feels to grab med with it. It was relating how old people feel and be in there shoes. It was not an offense to elderly people. Its probably the same concept experience for the hearing students to be in a deaf persons shoes.

I had to walk around school with an egg. I had to name it too.

Lots of educational social experiments and none are rude.

ummm .... in my situation, the guy could have easily made me into a pretzel.

Or, his hood ornament.

OH, come on!...Ur acting like a chicken who's about to lay an egg!...It's "rude" for anybody to stare at someone...Just put on a "confused look" and ask/write..."something bothering you?"....give him a Mark Hamill stance!....Cuss at him in sign language...then write/ask "do you understand what I said?"

OH, come on!...Ur acting like a chicken who's about to lay an egg!...It's "rude" for anybody to stare at someone...Just put on a "confused look" and ask/write..."something bothering you?"....give him a Mark Hamill stance!....Cuss at him in sign language...then write/ask "do you understand what I said?"

There are bullies who will physically touch you if you mess with them. Rather it is violent or sexual harrassment or whatever. In my school, the kids who always mocked me about my deafness decided to touch my body like my bottom, boobs, etc. It had nothing to do with me looking good like they do with some kids (playing around for fun). They did it because I guess they think they can (and I was 18 years old at the time). I told the guy who I dating at the time about it and he did not like what he was hearing and asked me to report it. I refused. But he reported it anyway. They call me in the office and I told them it is true but it is no big deal. Then the principal went on about unwanted touching and all that. The principal was just as upset as my exbf. These guys end up getting in serious trouble for it. they found witnesses so it wasn't my words against them.

:lol: I think it's not rude or disrespectful I think that They want experiment what deaf is alike!

I did put the blindfold to my eye and I pretend myself blind! :whistle:

I did put the blindfold to my eye and I pretend myself blind! :whistle:

I have a friend that did this and he's actually much more sympathetic in situations that confuse me because of it. He did it for a whole week, too, not just a day.

This is tempting... My mom has no hearing loss and does not get me at all. I am tempted to give her my iphone for a day (if I didn't need it.) I have the is app on it...white noises for my daughter... on it has a "singing tibetan bowl" that before I lost more hearing sounded just like my tinitus and the earbuds that came with it are "noise cancelling." I think she should walk around for a day with the earbuds in and that white noise playing to get even close to my life. I wear bilat hearing aids and have wicked tinitus that sounds a lot like that white noise on full volume. Then maybe she might know what it it is kinda like to where hearing aids and still hear ringing all day but not much else. Maybe? Very tempting........

I have a friend that did this and he's actually much more sympathetic in situations that confuse me because of it. He did it for a whole week, too, not just a day.

Whole week! :shock: I cannot!!! I already gave up about 5 mins! :eek3:

If you worth communication to fair to equality respect to deaf and HOH, That is expect to you strong best positive and help you I encourage to you best things . disrespect to people not listen to people that is That is hard to complex.

deafness is based on decibels of hearing loss you have...not all deaf people are deaf to a point where they hear Nothing at all...I can hear my dogs bark or extremely loud noises....if they are right there next to me...i probably assume alot of the sounds that are there by observation and the fact that i could hear in the past...
I love the teachers idea, it teaches compassion and patience...i would not suggest that particular lesson plan for learning how the blind "deal" with the world...that would be dangerous..

deafness is based on decibels of hearing loss you have...not all deaf people are deaf to a point where they hear Nothing at all...I can hear my dogs bark or extremely loud noises....if they are right there next to me...i probably assume alot of the sounds that are there by observation and the fact that i could hear in the past...
I love the teachers idea, it teaches compassion and patience...i would not suggest that particular lesson plan for learning how the blind "deal" with the world...that would be dangerous..

There's a safe way of going about it, like having company that's either sighted or used to being blind.

Is part of a class where the intent is to learn what it's like to be Hoh - I think this is fine even something that should be encouraged to be done (perhaps the students should wear a button/badge indicating that they are participating in an HL awareness program)

Also - for hearing family and friends of Hoh or Deaf I think this is also very helpful :)

In both cases the key factor is that the person must be respectful (not act like a jerk while using the ear plugs to help simulate HL) and must explain if asked that they are participating in a 1 day/1week etc program where they wear ear plugs in public to help them better understand what it's like to have HL that impacts one's ability to orally communicate etc.

I think it would be rude for them to "fake" being deaf by lying if they were explicitly asked if they're Hoh - especially by someone who is Hoh or deaf themselves (ie a signer or someone with hearing aids etc).
A good answer would be "I'm in a class where we are given opportunities to experience what Hearing Loss is like - and this week my assignment is to keep these ear plugs at home & in public to learn about being Hoh more "first hand...")

I can say that my dad had a REALLY bad ear infection and wax impaction (bilaterally for 3days and then unilaterally for another week) - this caused him to have about 20db hearing loss, on top of any "age related HL" he might have. He had trouble on the phone, in noise places, during the last week he had to be aware what ear he used for the phone, what side of someone he walked on etc ... in short - he became aware of what WE Hohs all know to be "daily life".
After going through that he was MUCH more understanding about what it's like not to be able to hear various sounds etc (and what "hearing is different than UNDERSTANDING" really means!)

Similarly I had my mum wear Ear Plugs around the house one day while she was trying to do various things like watch tv, vaccuum (and hear the doorbell/phone), cook (hear the timer from the other room) and most importantly talking ... my mum is VERY bad at talking to me (at me?) from other rooms - which I'm somehow magically suppose to be able to hear (I'm Hoh - with +120dbHL on my right!).

My "experiment" helped - at least for a while (5years later, it's time to repeat the experiment I think). She was much better about having CC on the TV, about being in the same room when she was talking to me etc - and had a better appreciation for the amount of hearing loss I have. I showed her a copy of my various audiograms from Kindergarten through present and pointed out each frequency and db level I was able to hear at and above ... then I showed her the package from the ear plugs stating that the reduced 30db when "properly inserted" (or about 20-25db when "typically inserted"). She was SHOCKED ... because she figured that her "demo" with the ear plugs was probably MUCH more Hearing loss then I had in my "Hoh side" and maybe as much as my "deaf side" - not even close!
My "Hoh side" ranges from about 20db-45db depending on frequency on a "good day" to about 25db-60db on a "bad day"(sick, exhausted, Fibro flare etc).
My "deaf side" is +120db across all frequencies ... I'm able to detect things tactilely at about 70db, but as for actually "hearing" I'm off the meter (and by the time we get to 120db it HURTS).

I guess the short answer to the OPs question is:
Yes, it's a good thing...as long as it's done respectfully, not as a means of deceiving people for a "questionable purposes", and as long as the person if directly asked if they are Hoh etc will explain the situation in an honest manner.
I really do believe that the understanding, respect, and general "good" that a student/family member/friend is likely to gain from having a personal experience with mild/moderate hearing loss far out-weighs the potential misunderstandings that may occur.

:giggle:

seriously, the guy freaked me out.

There are bullies who will physically touch you if you mess with them. Rather it is violent or sexual harrassment or whatever. In my school, the kids who always mocked me about my deafness decided to touch my body like my bottom, boobs, etc. It had nothing to do with me looking good like they do with some kids (playing around for fun). They did it because I guess they think they can (and I was 18 years old at the time). I told the guy who I dating at the time about it and he did not like what he was hearing and asked me to report it. I refused. But he reported it anyway. They call me in the office and I told them it is true but it is no big deal. Then the principal went on about unwanted touching and all that. The principal was just as upset as my exbf. These guys end up getting in serious trouble for it. they found witnesses so it wasn't my words against them.

That happened to my sister when she was in HS. I was royally pissed when she told me. So was my dad. Her bf was mad, my grandpa was mad, my mom was mad ...the neighbor's dog was furious as hell.

So yeah, I understand why stuff like that sometimes does not get reported.

I am glad in your situation it was.

Cotton or ear plugs won't block out all sounds, it just mutes them, makes the sound lower or muffled....

Some hearies wear them while sleeping to block out noises, such as TV's, kids yelling, traffic sounds, etc.....They still can hear "some sounds" but it's at a lower volume.

Exactly. I would think a better solution would be to have the students listen to a digital recording that simulates deafness at various levels. They are really pretty effective as a demonstration, and show just how much is missed at even a mild level. If the teacher wants to impart cultural information, there are plenty of books written by deaf individuals regarding their experiences with hearing society. Or better yet, take the class to a bi-bi or signing deaf school. They will get a good idea from the reversal in situations.

Wirelessly posted

And earplugs cause a lot of undue psychological stress and anxiety that most DHH don't experience.

Back