Manualism vs. Oralism Research

Oh man! I wish the freaking audists would accept that quote!!!

Hey there,
As some here know, I'm a graduate student studying Deaf Education and my research paper this semester is centered around different means of communication. I'm exploring Manualism vs. Oralism and was curious if anyone could offer some resources for either method. Also, I'd love to have people's opinions or tales of experiences if you are willing to share. No pressure at all. Any assistance offered is amazingly appreciated.

Thanks!
Jared

loml mentioned Tom Bertling's books. "A child sacrificed to Deaf Culture" is his account of his own personal experiences and an interesting and different perspective then is usually presented.

Good luck
Rick

Are you studying to become a teacher for the deaf?

loml mentioned Tom Bertling's books. "A child sacrificed to Deaf Culture" is his account of his own personal experiences and an interesting and different perspective then is usually presented.

Good luck
Rick

Excactly what pagedancer is looking for, the most hardcore hearing oralist on internet forums, recommending the all time classic and beloved horror book of the oralist, the BERTLING nightmare :)

You can't get closer to oralism than this, lol.

Excactly what pagedancer is looking for, the most hardcore hearing oralist on internet forums, recommending the all time classic and beloved horror book of the oralist, the BERTLING nightmare :)

Sacrificing to the Deaf culture? Sounds like someone was skinned alive for the sake of Deaf culture. How frightening!

"Sacrificing to Deaf Culture"

Nice undertone on something that is akin to British imperialist paternalism....

What pagedancer is looking for is for information and resources. What Bertling's book gives her/him is but one perspective whether or not one agrees with it is irrelevent. For a different extreme perspective, Harlan Lane comes to mind.

However, your attack upon me, which is incorrect, is but another example for him/her to see the extremes which certain people, like yourself, will resort to when presented with views that differ from their own.

Sorry pagedancer but what flippy is incapable of understanding and/or accepting is that because one chooses to raise their child orally it does not make one an oralist. He can't seem to accept our personal decision for our child and for some strange reason takes it as a personal rebuke of him. What he repeatedly chooses to ignore is that I have stated many, many times that decision we made for our child is not one that we would recommend or advocate for other children, and in fact never have.

Rick

What pagedancer is looking for is for information and resources. What Bertling's book gives her/him is but one perspective whether or not one agrees with it is irrelevent. For a different extreme perspective, Harlan Lane comes to mind.

However, your attack upon me, which is incorrect, is but another example for him/her to see the extremes which certain people, like yourself, will resort to when presented with views that differ from their own.

Sorry pagedancer but what flippy is incapable of understanding and/or accepting is that because one chooses to raise their child orally it does not make one an oralist. He can't seem to accept our personal decision for our child and for some strange reason takes it as a personal rebuke of him. What he repeatedly chooses to ignore is that I have stated many, many times that decision we made for our child is not one that we would recommend or advocate for other children, and in fact never have.

Rick

Pray tell, then, oh wise one, what does make one an oralist?

Oh yes, please explain to the people that went through the abuse of oralism that still continue today? What constitute someone to be an oralist? Be careful. I can testify that it's still around five years ago, and according to many hearing parents-- it has gotten worse in the last 6 months in that school district.

It's kinda like telling an Inuit, who saw things firsthand, that the missionary works in Canada wasn't a form of cultural assimilation when you account for all the things that happened in residential schools.

Sorry, but you, and jillio-lite (souggy), will have to play your little games with someone else. This person is looking for information/sources which I have provided. You are looking to engage in the umpteenth round of a never ending argument. Run along and find someone else to engage in your childish games before you get banned again.

Sorry, but you, and jillio-lite (souggy), will have to play your little games with someone else. This person is looking for information/sources which I have provided. You are looking to engage in the umpteenth round of a never ending argument. Run along and find someone else to engage in your childish games before you get banned again.

Ahhhh....so you don't have an answer for what makes one an oralist. That would mean that you don't know what makes one not an oralist, either. The argument is never ending because your misinformation is never ending.

It would appear that you are terribly threatened by the question.

But you are an oralist..:confused: You support the oralism philosophy.

But you are an oralist..:confused: You support the oralism philosophy.

Exactly. That is why I asked him what made one an oralist, since he claims that raising your child oral only doesn't make you an oralist. :dunno2:

o⋅ral⋅ist
  /ˈɔrəlɪst, ˈoʊr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [awr-uh-list, ohr-]

–noun
1. an advocate of oralism.
2. a deaf person who communicates through lipreading and speech.
–adjective
3. of or pertaining to oralism.

Origin:
1865–70; oral + -ist

man⋅u⋅al⋅ist
  /ˈmænyuəlɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [man-yoo-uh-list]

–noun
1. an advocate of manualism.
2. a person who communicates through sign language.
–adjective
3. of or pertaining to manualism.
Compare oralist.

Origin:
1585–95

I do both these.[Not the advocating parts, but they are part of the definition.} So do lots of others. So what does that make us?

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Manual oralists?

I think oralist are those who do not sign at all.

IMO, For someone who has oral skills but use sign language should be called multilingual.

I think oralist are those who do not sign at all.

IMO, For someone who has oral skills but use sign language should be called multilingual.

I agree. I was just being silly.:giggle: Someone who promotes both is bilingual and bicultural.

Back