Deaf Dalmatian dogs

webexplorer

Reaction score
Hello, I thought that you might be interested to read this article about two deaf Dalmatian dogs. I'm impressed to see the picture.

Mrs. Bombaci’s Hogan: Apt Pupil, TV Star, Inspiration - New York Times

Here is another article that I happened found on a Google about killing deaf Dalmatians. I never knew about it. This was printed last fall of 2006. Please do not sign up the petition because the deadline was last year - okay.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/321727584

Hi..

I will tell you, in Germany do have many deaf Dalmatian dogs.

look at website
Tauber Hund - na und...?!

they will prodect deaf Dalmatian dogs. Why prodect it?...because many hearing ppl are not interested in deaf Damlatian dog. Former Zoo will make, when the deaf dog on to squirt pain means for death would fall asleep. I dont like, what they will do to die to deaf Dogs. I wish I can take a deaf Dog, but I am allergica *sigh*
my friends are taking a deaf Dogs. that is good!!!

That makes me so angry to think about deaf dogs being put to sleep. As the owner of a deaf fur-baby, I know first hand the joys she brings to me. I have had pple warn me that she will bite, that she'll attack my other dog, that she will be excessively noisy..all becuz of her being deaf. What a crock!
She's the best behaved dog.. follows hand signals wonderfully.. is happy and attentive. She watches me faithfully, waiting for a signal and loves attention from anyone. The only thing different between her and my other dog, I try my best not to startle her. She doesn't react viciously but the look of fear when she is startled really pulls at my heart strings.
Kudos to the woman in the article for spreading the word about deaf dogs and their rights to dignity and a happy life.

A truly inspiring story! A big applause to the woman for educating the public about deaf dogs. :)

That's a cool article.

My parents used to have a couple of dalmatians and one of them was deaf.

The only problem was... training.

Since both were males, both were brothers, both were the same age, and both couldn't understand the same command... it was constantly a problem.

Both are males... they fight a lot for dominance. Constantly looking at each other from time to time.

Both are brothers... think that we won't punish one or the other without feeling guilty.

Both are the same age... same litter and grew up together. Neither is pre-trained, so difficult.

One is deaf and one is hearing... we sign to the deaf dog who looks at the hearing dog doing nothing so the deaf dog does nothing. We talk to the hearing dog who looks at the deaf dog doing nothing so the hearing dog does nothing.

Worse of all... the barking. When both are laying down and the deaf one sees the hearing one make a gesture of any kind (eye moves, ears move, etc), the deaf one assumes the hearing dog heard or saw something suspicious... so he barks like crazy. The hearing dog sees the deaf dog barking, so he starts barking. We have 2 dogs barking like crazy for 5 minutes... they the suddenly stop cuz they realize that they're barking at nothing. Heh!

Hi..

I will tell you, in Germany do have many deaf Dalmatian dogs.

look at website
Tauber Hund - na und...?!

they will prodect deaf Dalmatian dogs. Why prodect it?...because many hearing ppl are not interested in deaf Damlatian dog. Former Zoo will make, when the deaf dog on to squirt pain means for death would fall asleep. I dont like, what they will do to die to deaf Dogs. I wish I can take a deaf Dog, but I am allergica *sigh*
my friends are taking a deaf Dogs. that is good!!!

That's great. I wish that I could understand the German words. But, I found the pictures of the dogs. Cool. Thanks!

VamPyroX - That's new to me. Wow! Thanks.

That's great. I wish that I could understand the German words. But, I found the pictures of the dogs. Cool. Thanks!

VamPyroX - That's new to me. Wow! Thanks.
Yeah, my parents wished that they had gotten only one dog instead.

It was during the time when people were getting dalmatian puppies like crazy cuz they were small, cute, and innocent. What many of them didn't realize was that dalmatians don't always make good house dogs and that they are difficult to deal with.

There was an article a while before my parents got the puppies. The article was by a woman telling people to think before they go out and buy dalmatians. After the live action version of 101 Dalmatians came out in theaters, there was a sudden increase in sales and adoption of dalmatian puppies. A year later, many of these dogs were abandoned or sent to animal shelters due to them becoming too difficult to deal with or not being the dogs that the kids expected.

Well, 102 Dalmations was coming out... that's why she wrote that article... hoping people wouldn't do it again because of that movie.

I told my parents about it and my parents were like, "Oh, don't worry. We'll take care of it. We'll deal with it just fine." Unfortunately, my parents never got the dogs neutered... so it led them to be horny all the time, marking territory all over, humping each other, etc... :roll:

Not only deafness can be found in dalmation, but bulldogs, great dane, white australian shepherds, boxer, and few other breeds. If a stupid person decided to breed two merle dogs together, they will end up having puppies that can be born blind, deaf, or blind and deaf. Most intelligent breeders would NEVER breed a merle to merle because they know they will get puppies with health problems. Because the merle gene is considered to be dominant, it screwed up the genes.

Merle Genetics - The White Aussies Project

Not only deafness can be found in dalmation, but bulldogs, great dane, white australian shepherds, boxer, and few other breeds. If a stupid person decided to breed two merle dogs together, they will end up having puppies that can be born blind, deaf, or blind and deaf. Most intelligent breeders would NEVER breed a merle to merle because they know they will get puppies with health problems. Because the merle gene is considered to be dominant, it screwed up the genes.

Merle Genetics - The White Aussies Project

Yupp, I agree!!! same in Germany. If the Dogs got blind and deaf so they will make with syringe to dogs for sleep become die, because ppl dont care about deaf and blind dogs. who do care about it?

Back