Sprint Epic 4G

Thank you, Raskah. no CC support with Engadget vlog, unfortunately.

More review with CC.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdQ3TY3Js7Y]YouTube - Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Android Smartphone Demo[/ame]

I do not see any CC in the youtube video?

I have been looking for a video review with CC, all I can find is the old "First Look" video by CNET back when Epic was first announced.

It looks like a lot of reviews were released on the Epic last night and they look very good.

I do not see any CC in the youtube video?

After starting to play. If a video includes captions, you can activate them by clicking the menu button located on the bottom right of the video player. Clicking this button "CC" will also allow you to choose which caption track you want to see. Click "Transcribe Audio" on Caption Actions then click "OK" You can see subtitle on it.

A lot of those also say that is due to the $50 extra for the Epic and the fact they dont like the Touchwiz interface. The interface means very little to me, just root the phone and install a custom ROM to bring back the stock android.

Also, no one can argue the Epic's graphics processor (esp in gaming) beats the EVO hands down. Other than that the EVO and Epic are pretty even.

Another huge plus the Epic has over the EVO is tv-out. The EVO has HDMI out but the Epic does also with a special microusb to hdmi cable. The big difference is the EVO is limited to certain applications for TV-out while the Epic can show everything on the phone with the exception of DRM protected content. There is also DLNA streaming.

There are some people who are just not ready to give up a physical keyboard for onscreen yet and I am one of them. I'm sure I will use the onscreen for quick replies etc, but when typing out an entire mail the hardware keyboard will be nice to have.

Bottom line: Both EVO and Epic are awesome phones so selection comes down to personal preference and how much money one is willing to spend.

A lot of those also say that is due to the $50 extra for the Epic and the fact they dont like the Touchwiz interface. The interface means very little to me, just root the phone and install a custom ROM to bring back the stock android.

Also, no one can argue the Epic's graphics processor (esp in gaming) beats the EVO hands down. Other than that the EVO and Epic are pretty even.

Another huge plus the Epic has over the EVO is tv-out. The EVO has HDMI out but the Epic does also with a special microusb to hdmi cable. The big difference is the EVO is limited to certain applications for TV-out while the Epic can show everything on the phone with the exception of DRM protected content. There is also DLNA streaming.

There are some people who are just not ready to give up a physical keyboard for onscreen yet and I am one of them. I'm sure I will use the onscreen for quick replies etc, but when typing out an entire mail the hardware keyboard will be nice to have.

Bottom line: Both EVO and Epic are awesome phones so selection comes down to personal preference and how much money one is willing to spend.

It will void your warranty if you do root Android phone, just like jailbreak the iPhone.

Of course it will void the warranty. I did it with my Samung Epix with different Windows Mobile ROM.

Rooting your phone does not matter anymore as Excedio pointed out. Besides if anything happens and you need warranty service all you have to do is flash the original image back. The only thing I can see truly voiding the warranty is if you brick the phone which is very unlikely with all the recovery images available out there.

Rooting your phone does not matter anymore as Excedio pointed out. Besides if anything happens and you need warranty service all you have to do is flash the original image back. The only thing I can see truly voiding the warranty is if you brick the phone which is very unlikely with all the recovery images available out there.

It's very likely if you buy a Droid X. ;)

But Droid X lacks the front-facing camera.

You're completely missing my point. My comment was in regards to Raskah's post. The Droid X has a "booby trap" in it's boot loader that will go off if you attempt to root the phone, causing if to become a paper weight.

If you brick the phone no recovery image is gonna fix it because you corrupted the bootloader.

You would have to first try to fix the corrupted bootloader before you could put the image back on it.

And trying to repair bootloader is not easy like clicking on file then it's *fixed*, it about luck too if you get lucky enough that the bootloader is not badly corrupted allowing it to boot to a point where it will listen to the usb for a terminal or input from a computer to send commands.

The other poster mentioned about booby trap and yes some devices do include booty trap to break the bootloader if there been a root or jailbreak attempts.

Even Apple could send a code to all jailbroken iPhone to disable it but they havent done it yet and still can do it any time they want.

Even Apple could send a code to all jailbroken iPhone to disable it but they havent done it yet and still can do it any time they want.

Well, If update OS 4.0.2, can disable jailbreakme in iPhone.

So ummm...back to the topic at hand...

The Epic is Ugly and has an ugly UI. If they use the stock Android UI it might be a good phone. However...it's still ugly. Did I mention that it's ugly?

So ummm...back to the topic at hand...

The Epic is Ugly and has an ugly UI. If they use the stock Android UI it might be a good phone. However...it's still ugly. Did I mention that it's ugly?

But you should see it on showroom at Sprint Store.

But you should see it on showroom at Sprint Store.

I already know what the UI looks like. It's the same one as the new Tmobile myTouch Slide. That's a Samsung phone also and uses the same UI....which is ugly.

I have seen the pictures all over the internet of the Epic..This is enough to have determined that the phone is ugly.

Back