Why do Deaf people feel ignored by many?

Booger_Bender

Amara Ambassador
Reaction score
This question has plagued the Deaf community for centuries. Why must we all queue or be the last to conversate with anyone?
I don't understand it. Anyone care to explain?

Moved to Our World, Our Culture
Moderator naisho

Last edited by a moderator:
Because is easier hearies pretend we not exist than try learn communicate with us.

This question has plagued the Deaf community for centuries. Why must we all queue or be the last to conversate with anyone?
I don't understand it. Anyone care to explain?

well why do you act like one then?

take initiative. Rosa Parks style.

I've been to deaf socials. I sure feel like the odd one out then - but I make an effort.

I probably appear to act like one because, I am the only Deaf in my entire family and not one member other than my fiancee who knows and understand ASL fluently or at all. I was raised forced in the hearing world with every aspect. While I do seem hearing I can honorably tell you I'm not. I'm just upset with the communication factor that hearies feel they rule over anyone else and completely ignore Deaf needs, instead they just tell us to join their culture instead if you want to be in regular society. It's like being a Dog chained up and never able to freely roam about happily.

I probably appear to act like one because, I am the only Deaf in my entire family and not one member other than my fiancee who knows and understand ASL fluently or at all. I was raised forced in the hearing world with every aspect. While I do seem hearing I can honorably tell you I'm not. I'm just upset with the communication factor that hearies feel they rule over anyone else and completely ignore Deaf needs, instead they just tell us to join their culture instead if you want to be in regular society. It's like being a Dog chained up and never able to freely roam about happily.

I can assure you (for what the word of someone on a computer is worth) it is not like that with all hearing people.

We don't have this problem in Washington, D.C.

so get a deaf girl.

I can make a simple effort to find a hearing GF but I didn't because I refuse to put myself in that situation again. it does take some effort to find a nice deaf girl but I think it's worth it.

I get ignored even by Deaf Community because not everyone like cars with turbocharged engine.

Seriously, I think that people who grew up in a Deaf Culture are more likely to want a Deaf/deaf relationship. They would make it an ultimatium to refuse to date a hearing person unless they're a CODA.

Would I want a daef/Deaf relationship? Yes, I would, but I chose to have a hearing girlfriend.

everyone in my family are hearing, lots of my friends also....do I feel "ignored"...Hell NO!...I make my presence "known" and expect the same considerations from them as I'm considerate of them also. (I do get verbally Loud at times) :lol:

Do I feel somewhat "slighted" in group conversations, such as a party or get-together sometimes? Yes...since it's hard to follow the conversations. So, I'm moreso "one on one", not the same person tho'. Most all my friends and family take the time to make me comfortable, and not left out.....I also take the time to ask my boys (hearing) at home..."what's going on with you today? Ur plans for the weekend?"...etc., etc..."Anything you want to talk about?"

If I felt "ignored" by my family or friends, I'd let it be known to them how I felt....All my boys know ASL...so do 2 of my sisters, not fluently tho'. But enuf to get by....

I'm sure hearing people would feel ignored at an all deaf gathering too! So, it's both ways here. How we deal with it, makes the difference....

Know what bothers me? Dont pretend Im nawt deaf just b/c you dont know ASL. I just dont give a damn Im ignored b/c Im deaf. I love myself and fawk the rest.

I can assure you (for what the word of someone on a computer is worth) it is not like that with all hearing people.

It's a general saying. Very broad. You're right not all Hearing people are the same. It's the majority against minority in this case.

hearing peoples ignoreing deaf bec lazy for learns asl and they thinking hard communication with us!!!!! i doesnt give fuck about some hearing people bec i got large family of deafs friend!!!! i am connect to deaf community so i not feel outcast.

I think that's one of the reasons the d/Deaf community so important - the sense of connection-

It's a general saying. Very broad. You're right not all Hearing people are the same. It's the majority against minority in this case.

true. I live in a very "sticks" type small area where people are extremely judgemental and harsh towards anything that their small little brains don't consider the normal. I have met (aside from my son) 5 Deaf/HoH people the entire 25 years of my life here. With those people, all being patients of mine, I made a solid attempt at trying to sign with them as much as I could. All of them were very polite with me even though I am just learning, I did have one man laugh in my face and tell me to use a pen and paper, but I didn't let that deter me I have only been self teaching myself for three years so you can imagine how far I have gotten on my own. Deaf, hearing, black, white, rainbow leprechauns I am going to go out of my way to make people feel welcome and comfortable around me.
We are still all the very same. I do understand your point though.

true. I live in a very "sticks" type small area where people are extremely judgemental and harsh towards anything that their small little brains don't consider the normal. I have met (aside from my son) 5 Deaf/HoH people the entire 25 years of my life here. With those people, all being patients of mine, I made a solid attempt at trying to sign with them as much as I could. All of them were very polite with me even though I am just learning, I did have one man laugh in my face and tell me to use a pen and paper, but I didn't let that deter me I have only been self teaching myself for three years so you can imagine how far I have gotten on my own. Deaf, hearing, black, white, rainbow leprechauns I am going to go out of my way to make people feel welcome and comfortable around me.
We are still all the very same. I do understand your point though.

With that attitude, you will adjust fine....

wonder whats Flip got to say about this?

i , for one, would say, Hearing Culture is fucked up. They never listen to what Deaf Culture has to say, so hence the ignorance.
There's ALOT of education needed....but also the other problem is sign languages and 'cultural studies' still paints a picture that we are some kind of 'interesting' ones...so its never taken seriously...now listen, read in between lines to those linguists says about Sign Langauges...(Write Alex said this before me, he observed right!) and this linguists never actually fight to perserve SL, but only in a sense of the word as "knowledge bases" for THEIR interests, not Deaf interests of us living-hood (if there's a such word)....

Back