Has anyone used the CapTel Relay Service

CapTel Customer Service

For more information, contact CapTel.

Ultratec, Inc.
Attn: CapTel Customer Service
450 Science Drive Ste 4
Madison, WI 53711-1166
1-888-269-7477 Voice/CapTel (English)
1-866-670-9134 Voice/Voz/CapTel (Spanish/Español)
1-800-482-2424 TTY
1-608-238-3008 Fax (Madison, WI)
CapTel@CapTelMail.com
CapTel - The Captioned Telephone

i do use the captel when i have NO time to get on vp or is making a short message OR leaving message and sometimes if i get a call i'd let them know i would call them back the only issue i have is, wheni get the call the captions doesn't come on UGH but when i do call it comes on, umm did i miss something here? suse me for being blond LOL!

I went into CapTel website, watched the video about CapTel, and I really like it a lot! I saw a child who said that he went to Walt Disney World and he enjoyed Space Mountain! Sorry for going a bit off-topic but it made me feel excited to try out CapTel. I hope UltraTec are still developing wireless CapTel, so I don't have to worry about using my Blackberry and get rid of Vonage service.

Captioning Service Numbers

wheni get the call the captions doesn't come on UGH but when i do call it comes on, umm did i miss something here?
You're using CapTel with only 1 phone line, right? Didn't you watch the instructional video or read the manual that came with your CapTel? When a Hearing person calls you, they have to dial the toll-free number for the captioning service, then enter your 10-digit phone number. If you use 2-Line CapTel, then Hearing people do not need to dial the toll-free number. They can just call you directly. If Hearing people call the Spanish number, you will receive captions in Spanish. (Captioners will not translate Spanish to English.) If you live in California or Texas, Hearing people call the number for your state, except Federal. If Hearing people call the Federal number, they do not have to list an agency, and they do not have to pay long distance. If Spanish-speaking Hearing people are calling from another country, they dial their international access code, then the international Spanish number.

Captioning Service
1-877-243-2823 (USA)
1-888-801-7210 (USA) (Federal)
1-866-217-3362 (USA) (Spanish/Español)
1-866-399-9050 (California)
1-866-399-9090 (California) (Spanish/Español)
1-800-933-5129 (Texas)
1-800-933-5417 (Texas) (Spanish/Español)
+1-608-204-2795 (International) (Spanish/Español)

Yes, I myself use Vonage, and I have Motorola VT2142, which supports 2 phone lines and has a redundant ethernet jack.I love Comcast. I have BrightHouse, which runs through RoadRunner now, and it's even faster.

Anyway, you should still double check that the slider bar is moved all the way towards "Highest Sound Quality", just to be sure.You're welcome. The setup works best with 2-Line Captel, as most interpreters are uncomfortable about calling the toll-free number for CapTel, to establish VCO, but I have convinced many of them to do it. With 2-Line CapTel, it's a lot easier. Also, your state's Telecommunications Access Program may also allow you to get a free CapTel.

If I were you, here's what I'd do. I'd apply for both, and then I'd use the state-provided CapTel at work and the Federal CapTel at home. That way, with 1-line CapTel, you don't have to pay for long distance! I know you have Vonage, but I think it also applies for international calls.

Again thanks for all the helpful info. I have a few more questions:

* Do you currently use the CapTel at home? If so, is it used solely on your Vonage service and is it 1- or 2-way CapTel?

* If it's 2-way CapTel, did you have to get a 2nd Vonage account to make it 2-line? I suppose Vonage's "fax" line for $10/mo. would work as a 2nd line?

* How does swapping the Fed and State CapTel devices go around the long-distance calls issue (in my case, no international calls are required)? I would only go for the 2-line CapTel at both my work and home locations to avoid the dual number dialing scheme.

TIA,

navyman

You don't have to have additional accounts for additional lines. You can have as many phone lines as you like for your account. For example -- a2-Line 2-Way CapTel for Motorola VT2442 with a fax which connects to http://www.vonage.com/device.php?type=DLINKVTA]D-Link VTA but if you have a Motorola VT2142, then you will have to have a router to connect the VTA so you can have up to 4 lines.

Do you currently use the CapTel at home? If so, is it used solely on your Vonage service and is it 1- or 2-way CapTel?
No, I don't. I'm actually going to apply for it under my father's name, since has more hearing loss than I do. He's on vacation, so I'm waiting for him to get back.
If it's 2-way CapTel, did you have to get a 2nd Vonage account to make it 2-line? I suppose Vonage's "fax" line for $10/mo. would work as a 2nd line?
I think you mean 2-Line CapTel, not "2-way CapTel". I wasn't sure, so I checked the website. Vonage's fax line, for $10/month has 250 outgoing minutes and unlimited incoming, however, from the CapTel troubleshooting FAQ on 2-Line CapTel, the number that the CapTel dials for the captioning service, in 2-Line mode, is toll free. I called Vonage and I asked the refresentative, "If I get the fax line, and I send a fax a toll-free number, does it still take from the 250 minutes, or is it free?" "May I please place you on hold while I check?" she asked. "Sure," I responded, and a minute later, she answered, "Yes, sir, it would be free and not take from your 250 minutes." That's great news, because CapTel users can use it for 2-Line CapTel. Also, since you can turn the captions on and off anytime with 2-Line CapTel, even during a call, if you really do have a fax machine hooked up to the second line, and you want to send someone a fax, while you're on the phone you can just put that person on hold and turn off the captions while you send the fax, and then you can turn the captions back on take the person off hold, to continue your conversation.
How does swapping the Fed and State CapTel devices go around the long-distance calls issue (in my case, no international calls are required)? I would only go for the 2-line CapTel at both my work and home locations to avoid the dual number dialing scheme.
If you use your Federal Captel at home, and you need to make an international call, you can use it in 1-Line mode, to make free long distance calls. The GSA (General Services Administration), not NECA (National Exchange Carrier Association), pays for Federal CapTel calls, including long distance charges, unlike state relay that does not pay for long distance charges. I think international calls are also free, but don't quote me on it.

Either way, whether you use a State or Federal CapTel at home, even if its in two line mode, if a Hearing person calls 1-888-801-7210, for Federal CapTel, when you answer, even if your CapTel is in 2-Line mode, you will still connect, and your CapTel will switch to 1-Line mode. This is useful if someone needs to call you toll free, such as from a pay phone. It's much better than calling collect!
You don't have to have additional accounts for additional lines. You can have as many phone lines as you like for your account. For example -- a2-Line 2-Way CapTel for Motorola VT2442 with a fax which connects to D-Link VTA [sic] but if you have a Motorola VT2142, then you will have to have a router to connect the VTA so you can have up to 4 lines.
Yes, that's what were talking about, adding a fax line, for 2-Line CapTel, however, you suggest connecting a using a router, to connect to the Vonage adapter. That's a bad idea, because the call quality will too low to support the captions. If you need to use a router, to share a connection with a computer and/or videophone, it's best you use the redundant ethernet jack, in order to connect the router.

QThat's what QoS (Quality of Service) comes to play for D-Link VTA because it doesn't have a redundant ethernet port to connect to your router's WAN port or to your PC. If you have a D-Link VTA, you have to have a router and enable QoS. Otherwise, Motorola VT2142 or Motorola VT2442. QoS gives prority to online games, VoIP, etc.

QoS and CapTel with VoIP

QThat's what QoS (Quality of Service) comes to play for D-Link VTA because it doesn't have a redundant ethernet port to connect to your router's WAN port or to your PC. If you have a D-Link VTA, you have to have a router and enable QoS. Otherwise, Motorola VT2142 or Motorola VT2442. QoS gives prority to online games, VoIP, etc.
Thank you for that information. :ty: The Vonage website does not recommend using QoS. In fact, they do not recommend using anything between the cable/DSL modem and the Vonage adapter. Instead, they recommend one of their products, with a redundant Ethernet port. I would, however, be interested to see how QoS works with CapTel.

So it seems like Vonage doesn't recommend D-Link VTA, which requires a router since it doesn't have a rendundant port...never throught about that...

FCC's Declaratory Ruling on IP Captioned Telephone Svc

It appears that, yesterday (1/11/07) the FCC released their declaratory ruling on IP Captioned Telephone Services (IP CTS), which in essence, means they've approved the use of the Interstate Relay Fund to pay for all IP CTS calls until they come up with a way later on to segregate the origins of calls which currently is done for Analog CTS.

It's a pretty interesting document because it has a lot of nice footnotes that provide a lot of nice-to-know detail, especially for those who, like me, are catching up to know what CTS is all about. One thing I noted was that it was suggested to the FCC that it is envisioned that folks will be able to use their computer to receive the text portion of CTS while still making a call through a regular telephone. This suggests we may no longer need to use a proprietary CapTel telephone. If true, my earlier concerns about using a Vonage fax line as a 2nd line may be OBE.

I'm also very curious about Ultratec's plans for wireless connectivity for CTS. This would be so cool for a type of communication mode (i.e., wireless cellular) that currently does not support VRS (ok, perhaps Sprint's new Rev A CDMA technology might).

One thing I noted was that it was suggested to the FCC that it is envisioned that folks will be able to use their computer to receive the text portion of CTS while still making a call through a regular telephone. This suggests we may no longer need to use a proprietary CapTel telephone.
I wonder how they're going to stop Nigerians from abusing the service? Perhaps they'll only allow the regular telephone to be a domestic number.

I wonder how they're going to stop Nigerians from abusing the service? Perhaps they'll only allow the regular telephone to be a domestic number.

Maybe CapTel may not going to provide a web interface or via IM application. Besides, I think they will have to use a VoIP/PSTN/Cellular Phone Service for voice communication including text.

I don't have any evidence for this so I can't be sure. Good question.

I believe that CapTel over IP will open more doors including using cell phones and digital PBX phones at work using my workstation. I personal have worked with Deaf community leaders along with some deaf people at Sprint focus meetings to help make CapTel over IP possible. I am hopping that by summer we will have a more definite picture on various offerings with this service.:fingersx:

Hmm...and maybe Alltel? I have a UTStarcom PPC6700 Windows Mobile Pocket PC and I'm not sure how this will work when using cell phone and be able to received captioned text at the same time through CapTel...

This is such a big problem as evidenced by the multitude of comments at the FCC website about IP Relay fraud problems. There are no easy answers apparently.

Keep CapTel American

There are no easy answers apparently.
I have a couple of solutions.

1) The service requires that the CapTel user has a domestic telephone number. This would keep international callers at bay, but it would not allow a CapTel user in another country to call into the US, very easily. IMHO, this is the best solution, since CapTel users cannot currently take their CapTels outside the US anyway. VRS with VCO currently works this way.

2) The service requires you to enter the serial number on your CapTel. This would only allow people with certified hearing loss or people who have paid the hefty price for a CapTel. This would keep international callers at bay, as hey cannot obtain such equipment.

Richard, before making accusations, give us some proof of how the CapTel program is "biased".

Because theyre run by the wrong people. Theyre run by people who are biased toward ASL. Theyre predisposing the Captel program to failure.

Web based VCO's are better.

Richard

Back