Unions Vs Right to Work "RTW"

Not surprised, the battle between employers and unions will never be over.

This sums up how unions work for me and why I'll never join or support them...

A fat lot of good he’s doing his workers.
An executive of New York City’s largest union of blue-collar public employees spends a whole lot more time sleeping at his desk than fighting for the working man, according to a New York Post expose.
fatmansleeping-300x198.jpg
And he’s making $156,000 a year in union-dues paid salary to do it!
According to the Post, Mark Rosenthal is a 400-lb. president of District Council 37’s Local 983. After arriving late to the office, he eats a big lunch, naps for a while at his desk, then cuts out early to beat the afternoon rush.
“He’s usually out by 4 p.m. after being at the office two hours,” Marvin Robbins, a union vice president, told the Post.
Granted, there’s probably union politics at work in a vice president ratting to the press about his president, but other union officials
told much the same story, according to the Post.
Rosenthal even uses a “union business” expense account to write off some of his eating bills, board members told the Post.
Rosenthal, however, told the Post he takes “power naps” he needs during “12-14 hour days.”

That is true there is a lot of lazy employees in union jobs... one of many reasons employers loathe unions. The unions are making it difficult to fire slackers who work slow, being unproductive, so on. There is some good union workers who work hard but pretty much most just don't care.

This sums up how unions work for me and why I'll never join or support them...

I don't sense that of union workers. I tried out for the union myself, but could not get in due to lack of contacts on the inside, went to college instead. So, if anyone should be bitter it would be me.

However, I know a lot of union people who are very good at their jobs. I don't doubt the people at the top are lazy, but the people at the bottom do the work.

The concept of unions is a great thing. We needed unions back in the day for protection. I think that if unions were operating based on principle and that common sense was used, they would be very successful today.

Unfortunately, as mentioned by several...that is not the case. Greed, favoritism, and corruption are rampant, and they use fear and intimidation to keep people in line. My wife has worked for a few unions, and all of them served no purpose for her.

I work in the service & construction industry, and worked with many union workers. Good people are being told not to work harder or better than others. Why work harder if it serves no purpose?

I got a flyer in the mail addressed to someone else. The flyer was a quarterly UAW journal for the now-defunct car factory nearby. Every single article in there was about how every company is out to screw every worker, how the union has prevented many bad things, etc, etc. I was sick to my stomach after reading it.

Now, I am aware that corporations have one goal in mind....to make money, but are they willing to risk hurting employees knowing full well that it can put them out of business? Come on, use some common sense.

Yeah, the similar to here.. the top seniority people gets the easier job while the bottom works harder and gets more pressure from managements. The top gets the vacation pick first in order to the bottom. It's how seniority works with unions.

I don't sense that of union workers. I tried out for the union myself, but could not get in due to lack of contacts on the inside, went to college instead. So, if anyone should be bitter it would be me.

However, I know a lot of union people who are very good at their jobs. I don't doubt the people at the top are lazy, but the people at the bottom do the work.

The first bold -- Yep I've seen shop steward plays favoritism and throws other union workers under the bus. You don't always trust your union co workers or shop stewards. You don't always make friends at work, you just work there to get the money and go home.

The 2nd bold is the same comment I posted previously above.

The concept of unions is a great thing. We needed unions back in the day for protection. I think that if unions were operating based on principle and that common sense was used, they would be very successful today.

Unfortunately, as mentioned by several...that is not the case. Greed, favoritism, and corruption are rampant, and they use fear and intimidation to keep people in line. My wife has worked for a few unions, and all of them served no purpose for her.

I work in the service & construction industry, and worked with many union workers. Good people are being told not to work harder or better than others. Why work harder if it serves no purpose?

I got a flyer in the mail addressed to someone else. The flyer was a quarterly UAW journal for the now-defunct car factory nearby. Every single article in there was about how every company is out to screw every worker, how the union has prevented many bad things, etc, etc. I was sick to my stomach after reading it.

Now, I am aware that corporations have one goal in mind....to make money, but are they willing to risk hurting employees knowing full well that it can put them out of business? Come on, use some common sense.

To top it off, my son is mentally disabled, and was invited to participate in a pilot program for disabled workers at a bottling plant in town. He will be working part-time, and must join the union there. He was told he has to pay union dues, even though he gets no benefits, and will only work 20 hours a week.

I really hope they don't mistreat the disabled workers.

I lost the faith with unions, but my grandparent were from retired unionized workplace because back in 1950's, the unions was very common. My father is currently work as maintenance at university and it is unionized as well so he will retire in few years.

To top it off, my son is mentally disabled, and was invited to participate in a pilot program for disabled workers at a bottling plant in town. He will be working part-time, and must join the union there. He was told he has to pay union dues, even though he gets no benefits, and will only work 20 hours a week.

Oh wow, pay union dues without benefit?

I will **** to unions.

That's reason why I lost the faith with unions.

USPS forbids APWU to force an employee to join its union but APWU is still required to help a worker who is not an union member to file a grievance as needed. That's a part of the union contract with USPS. Anywhere in USA.

USPS forbids APWU to force an employee to join its union but APWU is still required to help a worker who is not an union member to file a grievance as needed. That's a part of the union contract with USPS. Anywhere in USA.

I think federal employees are right to work.

Yeah when I got the union job, I had to pay the expensive due and then will be monthly due. I get all the benefits, not sure why your son can not get benefits.

wonder if you can visit there unexpectedly to make sure no one mistreats your son ? Also, maybe you can check with VR about paying union and no benefits if it sounds right to you?? It sounds strange to me.

Iowa is right to work state, I see. Not sure if I see the difference between those two because I worked both of those types. Maybe it only applies to full time workers.

Iowa is right to work state, I see. Not sure if I see the difference between those two because I worked both of those types. Maybe it only applies to full time workers.

Right to work means you don't have to join the union at unionized workplace and no need to pay union due.

Right to work means you don't have to join the union at unionized workplace and no need to pay union due.

That's why I wouldn't know because I never had experience forcing into an union before.

Back