HDTV and Closed Captioning

I have a VIZIO 42" LCD 1080P HDTV, I did not have dvr nor cable digital. I guess that I am behind it. LOL!

I have a VIZIO 42" LCD 1080P HDTV, I did not have dvr nor cable digital. I guess that I am behind it. LOL!

hook up with antenna to receive digital channels thru the setting. It rocks as you get 4 primary channels plus some more.

CC are stripped before it passed thur HDMI or upconvert Compoment cables so you can't get CC on HDTV unless DirectTV box have built in CC (HDTV DirectTV box does have it built in) or HDTV Cable box have built in CC that you will need to enable before it is sent to the HDTV via HDMI or upconvert Compoment.

Stupid move by the FCC to allow this on HDMI and upconvert Compoment.

Since there is no upconvert dvd player that could decode CC and we are currently stuck with old DVD player and HDTV TV if we want to watch the standard DVD discs unless you built a HTPC computer which I did and it allow me to upcovert my movies with CC and pass it out HDMI or Compoment.

Very good info :ty:!!!! Yes, stupid fcc, but thats the government for ya :roll:

First TV in Living room

My dad have 47" Samsung LCD HDTV 480p /480i / 720p/1080i
HDMI #1 = rented Comcast Sci-Atl HDTV cable converter with HDMI with built-in HDTV/SDTV CC built-in
HDMI #2 = My own PLAYSTATION 3 DVD/BLU-RAY DRIVE HAS BUILT-IN SUBTITLES FOR THE HEARING IMPAIRED

RF Input Cable CATV: Not used
OTA Input Coaxal Cable: Radio Shack amplified VHF/UHF/HDTV INDOOR ANTENNA W/ wireless RF Remote Control --- CATALOG NUMBER 15-1892

Second TV is in my bedroom

i have my own energystar product 13" Sanyo Vizon flat LCD color TV :

Sanyo Vizon have built-in analog closed caption (Line 21) has successfully worked with Magnvox OTA Digital Converter box.

use Yellow , white and red audio/video plug to OTA for energystar product Digital TV converter name is Magnvox with input antenna with Radio Shack indoor antenna 15-1892.

I don't have rent SDTV digital cable converter but I still use direct connect analog cable channel 2 to up to 99.

Third TV is in my bedroom

1990 9" Sony Trinitron CRT color TV is very good condition. My VP200 use hook up to my old TV. My old TV does not have a built-in closed caption.

forth TV is my dad's bedroom. My own 27" Sony Trinitron WEGA. He borrowed my 2003 27" Sony Trinitron WEGA flat CRT color TV with my dad use rent dark gray Sci-Atl SDTV digital cable converter.

fifth TV is my dad's home office: My dad is own 20" Sony Trinitron WEGA flat CRT Color TV with Magnvox OTA converter with indoor OTA antenna. there is no cable tv outlet.

I will buy new 20" to 37" HDTV for my own bedroom and I will remove 13" Sanyo LCD TV and magnvox OTA converter.

I will use 13" Sanyo LCD TV and Magnvox OTA converter to use power inverter with battery back-up with Solar power when the storm will knock FPL power line will be down. I watch Special Report for Hurricane update with power restoration process update.

I will buy few Solar power with Li-ion battery for My T-Mobile blackberry 8100 Black Pearl when no electricity available.

That's why...... Today is improving tech better than 6 years ago. That's time, they do not have built-in Digital (HDTV) Turner as ATSC. LCD HDTV was very expensive.
5 years ago, they had few built-in HDTV Turner. Today, All HDTV have built-in ATSC (HD Turner) and NTSC. Next few years, NTSC will be gone.

Our twin sons (college students) are hearing. They told me that CC and Voice are not same time (just behind or earlier). Just few seconds different. That's big deal.

We did try few different way on "Smallville" HDTV and non-HDTV.
Fios HDTV box - use HD program - poor quality (fad some letters - hard time to read CC)
Fios HDTV box - use non HD program - flash CC (disappear - no way to read in 1 sec)
Fios Standard TV Box - great CC (little behind or earlier)
Tivo HD Box - use HD program - 50 percent missing CC but great quality CC
Tivo HD Box - use non-HD - not yet test
Antenna - Over the air - HD program great CC but one thing weak signal.
Antenna - Over the air - non-HD - still normal CC as standard TV - sometime weak signal

Antenna gave me too much adjust to find better image.

Next Year high power station NTSC analog will be offline forever Feb 17 2009.

analog low power station (LPTV) or small company broadcaster who is not afford to get digital equipment or analog repeater station will remain until 2012. when digital boardcast equipment to be reduce price the small boadcast company will be affordable to buy new digital boardcast equipment.

HDTV and Analog TV Channel 52 or up ( 700 mhz ) will no longer available after Feb 17 2009, for 700mhz signal has been auction sold to other companies for digital talkie walkie or wireless Internet service or other government emergency freqenacy reserved

when Digital only low power station called (LDTV) will be remain same for all VHF or UHF 14-51 before or after Feb 17th that newest low power Boardcaster does not have analog equipment, Analog TV owners, you must have OTA digital set top converter if you have analog tv without converter will not able to see low power digital program. all 700 mhz UHF boadcaster have to re-assign new UHF 14 to 51 or VHF channel freqency by FCC license renewal after Feb 17, 2009.

OTA digital TV or OTA digital converter owner have to update re-scan new channel after Feb 17 2009

large outdoor rooftop HDTV antenna is better to get more channel up to 100 miles range if you live your own house.

Indoor Antenna is only for under 25 miles to up to 45 miles depend on model.

Live online is Closed caption is few delay because they hear and type what they said. have to be patient to receive the message what they said.

non-live (offline) like as movie they make to input caption data during modified program and same time on voice on the taped. TV will read offline closed caption thorugh the data storage like as DVD or VHS tape itself

If you meant "Natural Captioning" inside the TV for High Definition programming, then this is for Over-the Air (OTA) antenna only. HDTV Closed Caption decoder inside TV will not work with external tuners like Satellite or Cable Box. If you cannot get good antenna reception, then you must enable CC inside external tuners and use HDMI, DVI or component cables. I downloaded operating manual of your TV and it's on page 34 about enabling CC but it's for antenna only. The manual gives very poor instructions on how to operate CC for your TV. See link: Welcome to Audiovox. Click on "Find a Manual" button.

I have not used CableCard (for cable TV subscribers only) and it might work with digital CC inside your TV but I might be wrong.

If you subscribe High Definition programming with DirectTV, then your satellite receiver must support High Definition and you have to enable CC via setup menu of DirectTV tuner box.

"Line 21" is for old style analog CC only. Digital CC does not support "Line 21".

Peter

Yes. I agreed with you but the problem, they didn't think of us. just show off those fancy high quality video and sound. Which I do not understand it but I am sure they can fix. Unfortunate for us because there no law for this. how sad.

I am talked about HDMI

Charter Communication

Hello, I bought samsung HDTV LCD recent. I got charter HDTV Cable Explorer 8300HDC. I plug HDMI cable from that charter box to my new samsung HDTV LCD. The closed captioned does not work! But use cable only Closed captioned does work. But not not HD :(.
Does DirectTV has capable to use HDMI with closed captioned for HDTV?

Hello, I bought samsung HDTV LCD recent. I got charter HDTV Cable Explorer 8300HDC. I plug HDMI cable from that charter box to my new samsung HDTV LCD. The closed captioned does not work! But use cable only Closed captioned does work. But not not HD :(.
Does DirectTV has capable to use HDMI with closed captioned for HDTV?

I am going to assume "cable only Closed Captioned does work" for analog stations only.

If that's the case, you have to enable Closed Caption in HDTV Cable box via menu setup. I do not know if your cable box supports CC. If it's not supported, contact your cable company and request for a HDTV cable box with CC support. I downloaded a manual for your cable box and I could not find CC setup. Unfortunately that's how digital or HDTV CC works.

HDTV's with built in CC decoder will only work with Over the Air (OTA) antenna or analog stations like basic cable. If you want to watch HDTV with CC from external source like cable box, Satellite receiver, or digital video recorder, then these external sources need to support CC via HDMI or DVI.

Peter

Charter Communication

Finally after research google. I found and I enable CC on charter remote menu button. Now HDMI has closed captioned with HD!!

However some channel which does not have HD the CC got so big letters and over the size of tv screen. I had to resize smaller inorder to see CC full. CC works great when have HD. HDNBC, HDCBS, HBOHD. ABC does not have HD available in charter.

Anyone can tell me is Direct TV better than Charter for HDMI with CC? ABC with HD available in Direct TV?

Thank you for sharing,
MM:wave:

Finally after research google. I found and I enable CC on charter remote menu button. Now HDMI has closed captioned with HD!!

However some channel which does not have HD the CC got so big letters and over the size of tv screen. I had to resize smaller inorder to see CC full. CC works great when have HD. HDNBC, HDCBS, HBOHD. ABC does not have HD available in charter.

Anyone can tell me is Direct TV better than Charter for HDMI with CC? ABC with HD available in Direct TV?

Thank you for sharing,
MM:wave:

Sorry, but no. You didn't enable the CC signal to go through the HDMI cable. What you did was enable the TV receiver to decode the signal internally, then overlay the CC onto the video and send it through the HDMI cable as an image. Your HDTV is still not receiving the CC signal.

HDMI cables cannot carry the CC signal at all.

Sorry, but no. You didn't enable the CC signal to go through the HDMI cable. What you did was enable the TV receiver to decode the signal internally, then overlay the CC onto the video and send it through the HDMI cable as an image. Your HDTV is still not receiving the CC signal.

Banjo, you are right! You and I know about newest technology about closed-captioning. There is no closed-captioning through HDMI video, period. :(
P.S.: I have HDTV with DVD upscaling have HDMI output, and it don't have closed captioning. Best bet that I recommend you, if you want
to choose movies that have English SDH (subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing instead CC, you can choose by movie are produced and distributed, here list for Hollywood studios:
Warner Bros (since July 2007) - not bad SDH but sometimes there would be no lyrics during singing or title song.
Universal Studios - Best SDH around this DVD!
Walt Disney (it still be closed captioned as long as well they don't have logo for CC, just only SDH since 2005 on rear artwork of those DVD.)
Weinstein Company

Recently, I saw on those newer DVD releases from Anchor Bay was just begun stating SDH, but I haven't watching so I couldn't test it until I have
watching it, I will review about Anchor Bay for all people who read my post.
Oh, by the way, I watched other movie from First Look Entertainment
have very good SDH just like Universal Studios did that, but this is bit
smaller font.
I have bad news for whose are loving in near-HD about New Line Cinema is still closed-captioned as mistakenly label "SDH" that I seen "Fat Boy Run", but no SDH on this movie and bonus materials,
but only English and Spanish subtitles. Please note: this movie
with one extra have without closed-captioning but subtitled in English and Spanish is: Thandie's Goof

I do not understand what you talking about because I can see perfect CC on any HD channels on my HDTV screen. All I did was enable CC on Charter decoder box through charter remote menu and I am using HDMI cable from charter decoder box to my HDTV screen.
For your information for any other channels that does not carry HD CC is working but the CC size is to big font than when that use HD Channels. So I had to resize my HDTV screen to smaller in order to have CC smaller size that for when the channels does not have HD. Any other that has HD channels has perfect CC and perfect size of font which I do not need to resize on my HDTV screen.
Charter decoder box has CC option all you have to enable CC on the charter decoder box. HDMI cable is working great with CC!
:cool2:

camijerosa, the captioning you see on HDTV through HDMI is NOT true captioning at all. It's actually an image of captions burned ON video to make it look like it's captioning but it's not. If you record that video using HDMI and you forgot to turn on CC, you won't be able to see CC at all since the CC signal cannot be transmitted through HDMI at all. Suppose a hearing friend records a show for you and he didn't have CC on and you playback that show, it will NEVER show CC even IF you turned CC on!

Captioning was totally overlooked when HDMI was being designed. And still is.

Thank you for clarify about HDMI. Well I do not record TV program. But I do understand some people do. I hope FCC will force HDMI Company to improve HDMI cable to able transmitted CC through HDMI for record TV program with CC and playback with CC.
Thank you:ty:

I have Dish Network HDTV ViP222 and Element 15" 1080i. I am aware of the digital caption being turned on from the receiver. I noticed not all channels has captions. For instance, foxnews doesn't have cc while CNN has cc. A&E doesn't while HBO2 does. I thought about switching the receiver to SDTV instead of HDTV so I can watch all of those cc. There isn't much HDTV channels anyway. Does anyone know a way to resolve this?

I have Dish Network HDTV ViP222 and Element 15" 1080i. I am aware of the digital caption being turned on from the receiver. I noticed not all channels has captions. For instance, foxnews doesn't have cc while CNN has cc. A&E doesn't while HBO2 does. I thought about switching the receiver to SDTV instead of HDTV so I can watch all of those cc. There isn't much HDTV channels anyway. Does anyone know a way to resolve this?

Just call and explain which channel not having CC so they could look into it and fix it asap.

Be sure to explain to them that you are using a HDTV reciever not a SD so they don't try to blame your TV for not having CC display and that it on THEIR END that the CC isn't being displayed.

it sounds like most people here have a cable connection of some sort. i only have the tv that have the digital tuner built in, and the cc sucks, it goes in and out, sometimes its there sometimes its not...is there anything i can do to make it stay on? its like i get half the show thats cc and then the other have isn't...
and i recently found a dvd that doesn't have subtitles and the cc on the tv wont work (i normally have the tv cc the movies i watch, i prefer it to the dvds cc), but even with this dvd i couldn't find a place where it would enable cc?

it sounds like most people here have a cable connection of some sort. i only have the tv that have the digital tuner built in, and the cc sucks, it goes in and out, sometimes its there sometimes its not...is there anything i can do to make it stay on? its like i get half the show thats cc and then the other have isn't...
and i recently found a dvd that doesn't have subtitles and the cc on the tv wont work (i normally have the tv cc the movies i watch, i prefer it to the dvds cc), but even with this dvd i couldn't find a place where it would enable cc?

Digital tuners can be over air antenna or via cable so which one are you using to recieve TV? Over the Air or Cable? If Over air maybe your signal is weak on CC and it missing some bytes to complete the CC over air or your TV station is poorly setting up CC on shows.

Most cable station only improve the CC on thier own cable boxes or tuner boxes because they know their on protocls on CC when sending it to their tuner box and to decode them before sending it to HDTV overlay on video itself via Component or HDMI cable.

If you research on this forum, you will find that CC does not work on lots of HDTV from DVD upcovert players using Component (red blue green cable) or from HDMI cable. You will need to use old RCA composite cable (RCA yellow video cable) from DVD player to HDTV yellow compsite RCA input to view CC but picture are fuzzy unless you set it to i480 (old tv resolution with black border on left and right)

If you want to upcovert DVD movie into HDTV format 720 - 1080 etc then you have to use DVD subtitle or find a DVD upcovert player with CC decoder built in. I only heard of one so far from Pioneer with CC convertor built in DVD upcovert player. Search forum to find brand name.

Back