Sorenson shut down SIPRelay on July 31

Reaction score
I got this email from Sorenson Communication.

SIPRelay® service will permanently cease on July 31, 2013
at 4 p.m. MDT.

We were grateful to provide the service for over 8 years and appreciate everyone who used SIPRelay. The new FCC compensation rates for IP Relay are too low to provide the quality IP Relay service our customers deserve. This is an unfortunate example of an FCC decision that was not based on the realities of the market and the needs of our SIPRelay users.

To continue using your SIPRelay number, you must port it to a different IP Relay provider. To find a list of alternate IP Relay providers, see TRS Providers | FCC.gov.

This change does not affect SVRS®. If you use ASL, you can transition your mobile communications to ntouch® mobile! Learn more about ntouch mobile at Sorenson ntouch.

If you prefer to voice for yourself, we encourage you to try CaptionCall. Learn more about CaptionCall at www.CaptionCall.com.

Im one of those people that still use SIPRelay. It is easier for me and less distracting and simple. I have A.D.D. I can use VRS but I dont pay attention well to interpreters and hard time communicating. Thats why I use SIPrelay. Look like I have to use SprintIP soon. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
same here. no biggie.

LOL don't want scare anyone thinking it is already closed or was confused as "I just used it minutes ago".

At least they were kind enough to announce a month ahead so that they all can port within reasonable time frame than out of surprise.

And I know for sure, they won't impact VRS department and it became clear that Sorenson now only focus on Video Relay Service.

Oh wow, I'm disappointed because I'm satisfied with SIPRelay since I had bad experience with several other relay.

I have Sorenson VP as well.

I have to use text relay when internet is down, power go out or out of home.

Complain to FCC, SIPrelay can't afford keep running, the payment from FCC is too low.

And this is just the beginning, I have no idea of exact what is going to happen but there will be major changes coming up and they all are breaking in 4 years plan. That's from FCC announcement on June 10, 2013. What I know would happen is that we will be limited to one provider, and if you want to register with one of these VRS provider, have to go though a agency that will be set up and funded by FCC. Everything will be dry and neutral, no competition BS involved. In other word, there will be only one database runs by independent agency. That way, FCC can monitor any abuses as preventive measure against future losses.

Oh wow, I'm disappointed because I'm satisfied with SIPRelay since I had bad experience with several other relay.

I have Sorenson VP as well.

I have to use text relay when internet is down, power go out or out of home.

Right, it is about loss preventive and abuse preventive.

FCC are mandate to provide Relay service to specific group of users (Meaning Deaf, HoH only), NOTHING, and NOBODY ELSE! Just Relay service. What happened earlier was that many of relay providers can't prove that users are Deaf or HoH, ended up pissing FCC off and FCC demand money back for those calls made by unverified accounts. Also, FCC is tired of abusing with porting to other provider though free incentive program like free iPAD for example. FCC never authorizes that in the first place.

Bottom line, FCC is just simply tired of past abuses, started with who we all know... John Yeh!

I think FCC is taking too far and getting nearly full immunity for their mistakes. There won't be winners in the end.

What about the congress? they are authorized to fund the FCC.

And what bothers me is that those kinds of ideas and decision made by FCC seems to be coming from last winter debate on relay service policy change proposal made by who? You guess it! ZVRS! three other providers were against ZVRS proposal.

And what bothers me is that those kinds of ideas and decision made by FCC seems to be coming from last winter debate on relay service policy change proposal made by who? You guess it! ZVRS! three other providers were against ZVRS proposal.

Wow, what's nasty business. :ugh:

FCC need be investigated by the congress like they did to IRS.

The agency is supposed to be neutral - not favoritism with one company.

Well, that leave only one text relay online: i711 (or ip-relay.com) and Sprint Relay.

I was sad to see Hamilton gone. So, I had to register and use i711. I don't like Sprint Relay. I prefer on AIM which I'm well familiar and record of conversation.

If all text relay online really gone - it would be huge bad news for deaf without ASL and low vision.

Well, that leave only one text relay online: i711 (or ip-relay.com) and Sprint Relay.

I was sad to see Hamilton gone. So, I had to register and use i711. I don't like Sprint Relay. I prefer on AIM which I'm well familiar and record of conversation.

If all text relay online really gone - it would be huge bad news for deaf without ASL and low vision.

I will not be surprise to see both shut down due to operating cost more than what they receive from FCC due to the cut in rate.

You can thank to that one VRS company making a wonderful proposal to FCC some months back about cutting rate across the board.

Remember everyone thought it was just a silly scare tactics by another VRS company warning what FCC wanting to cut rates.

Now it coming true and it going to bite Deaf communities in the butt because they don't stand up and fight for it.

!

Yup, more is coming unless we start to rock the boat. Sadly FCC thinks the boat is floating smoothly. What I read the June 10, 2013 ruling announcement, it does NOT look good. FCC is actually scaring relay businesses away. Business can not survive on skeleton budget. And to start up a relay business is now much much harder than it was before, in fact if one wants to start a business, they got to have at least millions of dollars to start up and won't expect revenue for several months. FCC is going the wrong path.

Sad!

The chances are very high that we won't be seeing VP300 or any new company produced and owned VP. I think this applies to SmartVP, Z-20 and so on. Don't believe me? Read again on June 10, 2013 FCC announcement, its written clearly on them.

I will not be surprise to see both shut down due to operating cost more than what they receive from FCC due to the cut in rate.

You can thank to that one VRS company making a wonderful proposal to FCC some months back about cutting rate across the board.

Remember everyone thought it was just a silly scare tactics by another VRS company warning what FCC wanting to cut rates.

Now it coming true and it going to bite Deaf communities in the butt because they don't stand up and fight for it.

Yup, more is coming unless we start to rock the boat. Sadly FCC thinks the boat is floating smoothly. What I read the June 10, 2013 ruling announcement, it does NOT look good. FCC is actually scaring relay businesses away. Business can not survive on skeleton budget. And to start up a relay business is now much much harder than it was before, in fact if one wants to start a business, they got to have at least millions of dollars to start up and won't expect revenue for several months. FCC is going the wrong path.

Sad!

The chances are very high that we won't be seeing VP300 or any new company produced and owned VP. I think this applies to SmartVP, Z-20 and so on. Don't believe me? Read again on June 10, 2013 FCC announcement, its written clearly on them.

I think corporations are just bullying government into paying them more by holding us as hostages.

I dislike ZVRS at all. I hope one day ZVRS will go down south and be folded.

I do like Sorenson and Convo. I don't care for Purple.

Sorenson already paid $15.75 million dollars fine for improper IM register, then decided to close IM relay services to save its neck. Believe it or not, the registration with ZVRS is very lax at least. I once told an interpreter to register with ZVRS for free instead of paying the monthly fee to ZVRS. :naughty: I am not that surprised if hearing or coda people already registered with ZVRS at no charge because they can fool ZVRS with their excellent sign language skills.

I agree with you. My HOH friend prefers to use IM relay and can print as a proof.

Only Convo, Sprint, and Purple have IM relay services so far. But, the problem is they will follow the suit eventually and abandon their services. Scary.

Government DO bully on corporations too, I wish I can say more but don't want start drama. I already knew the mess started years ago. All I can say... Damage is done.

Bully either way is not the core, nor real problem. The biggest problem is too many people abused the system, I mean way way way too many people are taking advantage of the system. There are unpredictable number of IP relay services has been routinely abused by frivolous Deaf/HoH users. That is the core problem.

I think corporations are just bullying government into paying them more by holding us as hostages.

Government DO bully on corporations too, I wish I can say more but don't want start drama. I already knew the mess started years ago. All I can say... Damage is done.

Bully either way is not the core, nor real problem. The biggest problem is too many people abused the system, I mean way way way too many people are taking advantage of the system.

there you go... government wasn't bullying corporations.. they're fed up with companies doing lazy job with people abusing the system.

SMH I am telling you SMH, I have seen enough. There are some Deaf people that HAD actually abused the system, hundreds of thousands hearing people taking advantage of pretending to be Deaf, Relay service providers have no way of verify.

When it comes to audit, relay provider can not provide supporting evidences that the account holder is indeed Deaf or Hoh. That is where the problem is.

I am saying NEITHER of Government and Corp are at fault. Its the crooks that lied to both of them. What pissed me off is that FCC is taking immunity to these losses leaving corporation at full loss. I would accept if both of sides chalk up the loss..

there you go... government wasn't bullying corporations.. they're fed up with companies doing lazy job with people abusing the system.

Back