Deaf related movies

Dismal Shadow

"Yours. Not mine."
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just watched "Love is never silent" which was recently brought from ebay. Yes a wrong item nonetheless. It was suppose to be "Sweet Nothing in my Hear" But a refund was made and the seller told me to keep it as a gift.

I watched and I weeped. It was a great gift and I loved it.

So I am asking your suggestions on deaf related movies that is worth to watch.
What would you recommend?

Last edited:
Mr Holland's Opus

Yeah, that's a really good one.

"Beyond Silence" is good.

Then there's always "Children of a Lesser God" with Marlee Matlin. It does have some ASL, but I have issues with it.

"The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" is from the early 60s and was way ahead of its time, but is overall a flawed movie.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Best "Deaf Mute" Titles
Unfortunately there aren't alot of movies ABOUT deaf people (except those made BY deaf people)...
Deafula is one that is all deaf cast and a comedy about a deaf vampire.
And Your Name is Jonah where the title character is a (real) deaf boy,
This is an interesting article Deafness in the Movies - Movie Characters Who Are Deaf
Wiki search turned up this with tag words of deaf characters films deaf characters films - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dr. Wonder's Workshop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This was disappointing and a likely product of (unspoken) prejudice From the new version of Bionic Woman... originally in the pilot but... Becca Sommers (Lucy Kate Hale) is Jaime's high school-aged sister. Previously she had been cast as a deaf character played by Mae Whitman, but was removed and reshot prior to release
There are a number of films with deaf characters... but most are playing minor roles and not the lead... off the top of my head...
A Lot Like Love (deaf brother who signs with hearing brother)
The Replacements (deaf football player)
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest (deaf inmate)
CSI: NY: Silent Night episode on TV.com
There Will Be Blood (late deafened man... played by deaf actor)
The Family Stone (deaf family member)
Four Weddings And A Funeral (deaf brother)
Jerry McGuire (deaf woman in elevator)

And a host of others... a list of deaf actors/actresses can be found here: deaf actors - Search results - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
IMDB.com has this list involving movies with some deafness in it.

Best "Deaf Child" Titles

Best "Deaf Parent" Titles

Best "Deaf Man" Titles

Best "Deaf Boy" Titles

Best "Deaf Girl" Titles

Best "Deaf Woman" Titles

Best "School For The Deaf" Titles

I love that "Four Weddings And A Funeral"! The sign language is in BSL so I had to guess at the signs.

"The Piano" was a good one.
The main character uses ASL and it's pretty funny to watch her angrily insult some of the characters in the movie; the character's daughter is a hoot too. :)

This is one of those movies you can watch over and over and not get tired of it.

I totally disagree :giggle:

I think that Mr. Holland is a selfish prick, and why on earth would I want to watch a movie about him!

I saw a film two days ago with a deaf Japanese girl in it who was using sign throughout the film. For some reason I can't recall the title! It was one word, started with B:hmm:. I think Brad Pitt was in it. I don't watch much tv so I'm not great with actors names

I saw a film two days ago with a deaf Japanese girl in it who was using sign throughout the film. For some reason I can't recall the title! It was one word, started with B:hmm:. I think Brad Pitt was in it. I don't watch much tv so I'm not great with actors names

Babel

Deaf-produced feature film "Lexie Cannes" with deaf actors due out this spring at DC ASL Film Fest.

film website: Lexie Cannes, an independently produced film by Tom Bertling

More:

Feature film "Lexie Cannes" won a HONORABLE MENTION in the BEST NARRATIVE FEATURE category and received a NOMINATION in the BEST NARRATIVE FEATURE SPECIAL EFFECTS (DIGITAL) category during the 2009 Los Angeles Reel Film Festival.

During this festival, hundreds, perhaps thousands of new independent film submissions are evaluated and a select few are forwarded to a team of film industry professional who screen then select the nominees and eventual winners.

larff2009x400.jpg

Just finished watching "And your name is Jonah" on Hulu last night. Was suprised to see Bernard Bragg in it.

A well-known indie film reviewer included "Lexie Cannes" in his Top 10 Indie Films for 2009!

2009: My Year In Review - By Brian Morton, ROGUE CINEMA

#8 - Lexie Cannes: When you tell someone that the movie is about a deaf transgendered person who's hunting the kidnapper of a missing girl, you might get some strange looks, but Lexie Cannes manages to take a strange premise and make it utterly watchable! Not dwelling in the 'oddness' of its characters, writer/director Tom Bertling instead treats these people are real, and so we're drawn into this compelling little tale of women helping other abused women! Take a walk in the night with Lexie by visiting the Lexie Cannes web site.

Lexie Cannes, an independently produced film by Tom Bertling

2009: My Year In Review - By Brian Morton - Rogue Cinema

He doesn't seem to be sorry for any of the shitty stuff he has done. Awww, he played a song for his Deaf son and signed 3 words, after 20 years of neglect. I'm so moved :barf:

I think the idea was that it was the beginning of his understanding his son, not the only thing he did.

I remember several years ago it was announced by Disney they were going to do a movie about the "Deaf President Now" campaign at Gally. Wonder what ever happened to it.

Back