How Do You Sign This Word?

Banjo

Expelled
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just starting a new thread for people who may have wondered for a while about how to sign a specific word. Well, this is the thread to do it.

Here's my question, how do you sign the word, "assimilate"?

Just starting a new thread for people who may have wondered for a while about how to sign a specific word. Well, this is the thread to do it.

Here's my question, how do you sign the word, "assimilate"?

Not like "merge,culture?"

I was thinking it would be something similar to the sign for the word, "mainstream".

Maybe the sign "include/inclusive" to the bosom/chest? Wish I could describe it better....

If I was using assimilate to mean I was taking in info to understand fully, I would probably sign 'collect-collect-collect learn'. If I was using it to express integration, I would sign 'mainstream'.

Depends on the context. (I know, I know, standard answer from me. :giggle: )

1. Gathering up various objects/ideas, then including them into oneself. (Posts #5 and 6a)

2. Blending in with an already existing group. (3, 4, 6b, 7, 8)

3. Absorbing (nutrition, physiological).

4. Adapt or change to fit into another culture or group.

5. Join the Borg. :lol:

How to you sign "What is your weakness?" (that's one of the story from other thread... and terp stopped for minute trying to figure out how to sign for that)

Depends on the context.

Do you mean lacking skill? "I'm weak in math."

Do you mean can't resist a temptation? "My weakness is chocolate."

Is it really? Same as deaf, but with attitude?

This how I do. :dunno: but then I also use d hand sign deaf, apparently this not "correct" either.

How to you sign "What is your weakness?" (that's one of the story from other thread... and terp stopped for minute trying to figure out how to sign for that)

Good question for me SneakerNet because I have had to think about it for a while :). If it was referring to a weakness in character or skill, I would probably sign "Character/skill believe weak yourself, what?". If it was referring to a weakness for some thing, I would sign "Can't resist (or resist none) what?" I might follow up with giving some examples for clarity.

I'm still *really* new to sign, so forgive me is these are dumb questions hah. I also will be the first one to admit I don't understand ASL -- my bf signs PSE and since I'm mostly learning from him & lifeprint.com, I still don't Get ASL -- grammar/structure-wise.

How do you sign "mood" like if you wanted to say, "I'm in a bad mood". Is there a way to say this without saying a specific emotion, like "I feel angry"?

And, how do you sign the word "care"? Like "who cares?" I know "I don't care" is almost like...taking your dominant hand and grabbing snot from your nose/throwing it away from your body (haha I don't know how else to describe it, sorry!) but I was under the impression that that sign only refers to yourself.

Oh one more! Haha sorry. How do you say "sense", like "that makes no sense"? Not sense as in smell/sight etc.

Back