Differences in BSL and ASL?

Is 'help' sign the same for both languages, closed hand with open thumb on open palm in upward motion?

And also for the yes / no sign?
yes - closed hand shaking up and down.
No - closed hand shaking sideways.

What's the ASL sign for father as I'm well acquainted with the mother sign. Is is the same except it's done at the side temples of head instead of the chin?

In BSL it's done with the first two fingers of both hands tapping together making the 'F' letter sign. I thought the Mother was also done in the same way as 'M' is made?

Is 'help' sign the same for both languages, closed hand with open thumb on open palm in upward motion?

BSL and ASL, nope.

And also for the yes / no sign?
yes - closed hand shaking up and down.
No - closed hand shaking sideways

Yes in BSL and ASL, yes
No in BSL and ASL, no..

The No sign in ASL is different, the first and index finger close together and claps with the thumb equals the sign of ASL 'No'

What's the ASL sign for father as I'm well acquainted with the mother sign. Is is the same except it's done at the side temples of head instead of the chin?

Bottom = mother sign
Top of your head = father sign

In BSL it's done with the first two fingers of both hands tapping together making the 'F' letter sign. I thought the Mother was also done in the same way as 'M' is made?

The mother in BSl/AUSLAN is similar but first three fingers tapping the other palm hand.

Does this make it clear to you? :)

D'oh - oh yeah, the ASL 'No' sign is familiar to me, dunno why it's missed me :Oops:

Yes, thanks J Clarke for confirming my brain sieve on BSL/ASL signs.

D'oh - oh yeah, the ASL 'No' sign is familiar to me, dunno why it's missed me :Oops:

Yes, thanks J Clarke for confirming my brain sieve on BSL/ASL signs.

No worries, your're welcome :)

I always thought they were very different... enough for an ASL interpreter and a BSL interpreter to be needed in order for an ASL deaf person to communicate with a BSL deaf person. I saw this done at NTID a few years ago.

Back