Drug Addiction Usually Starts Before 18

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Addiction-Related Problems Burn Through $467.7 Billion Each Year

(CNN) -- The top public health problem in the United States is not obesity, as many might guess, says one public policy organization. The National Center for Addiction and Substance Abuse, also known as CASA, leaves no question as to where it stands on the subject, titling its latest study "Adolescent Substance Use: America's No. 1 Public Health Problem."

The report released Wednesday finds that the consumption of alcohol, the use of tobacco and marijuana and the abuse of prescription drugs is on the rise among teens. That's not terribly surprising but this might be: CASA found that 9 out of 10 adult addicts started using before the age of 18, compared with 1 in 25 Americans who started using these substances at age 21 or older.

Another finding: 75% of high school students have used addictive substances with 1 in 5 of them meeting the medical criteria for addiction.

Researchers believe that the adolescent brain is still developing in the areas that lead to decision-making, judgment, impulse control and emotions, making teens more likely than adults to take risks, which makes them more likely try things like tobacco, alcohol and other drugs.

The study done primarily through online surveys, gathered information from 1,000 high school students, 1,000 parents of high school students, 500 school personnel and a host of other studies and articles. The final results, released Wednesday found the top 4 substances among adolescents are:

Alcohol

Tobacco

Marijuana

Prescription drugs

"These rankings combine availability of these substances with the perception of harm," says Susan Foster, vice president and director of policy research and analysis with CASA. In other words, using drugs, alcohol and tobacco is a health risk, but as a young teenager, finding them and getting them also comes with some risk.

So who's to blame for substance use among adolescents? There's a lot of it to go around, says Foster. Glamorous alcohol and tobacco advertising gets a ding, as do pharmaceutical ads that present pills for any ills. The media in general also take a hit for playing down or making light of characters who are drunk or high, according to the report. Even parents get a not-so-honorable mention for either looking the other way when their teenagers experiment with addictive substances, or for thinking that this experimenting is just another rite of passage on the way to adulthood.

The problems associated with substance abuse are not limited to health and safety. It's also a huge financial drain on our economy. CASA cites the total cost to federal, state and local governments as at least $467.7 billion per year which puts it at almost $1,500 for each American. And these costs largely coming from those teen users, according to CASA.

So what's the answer? First, parents need to engage their teenagers early and teach them the dangers of playing and experimenting with these types of addictive substance, the report says. Also, the mass media should be encouraged to back off making tobacco and alcohol such an enticing product.

"CASA wants the health care industry to step in and do their part too," says Foster. It is urging health care providers to screen for substances and be willing to counsel teens early about preventive measures and intervention.

Drug Addiction Usually Starts Before 18 - Health News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

I couldn't finish the article. I stopped when it claimed that marijuana is addictive. It is not. Besides, people are born addictive: it is in their genetic makeup.

I couldn't finish the article. I stopped when it claimed that marijuana is addictive. It is not. Besides, people are born addictive: it is in their genetic makeup.

marijuana is addictive for some people. I've seen daily stoners.

if it wasn't addictive, they wouldn't be smokin dope.

marijuana is addictive for some people. I've seen daily stoners.

if it wasn't addictive, they wouldn't be smokin dope.

There are no properties in marijuana that are physically addictive. These "stoners" you speak of have the addictive personality that makes them keep puffing away.

There are no properties in marijuana that are physically addictive. These "stoners" you speak of have the addictive personality that makes them keep puffing away.

Meth and LSD don't produce physical dependence - it's all psychological but it's a problem nonetheless.

Narcotics, depressants, and alcohol produce psychological and physical addictions. Stopping them can be fatal.

Marijuana contains over 400 different chemicals with the primary active ingredient being delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. The National Institute on Drug Abuse indicates that marijuana is psychologically addictive: Addicted users feel compulsive urges to seek and use the drug despite potential negative consequences. Although THC causes physiological effects, the addiction is not considered physical, in the sense that stopping the drug does not cause severe physical withdrawal. The chemical reward of THC causes pleasurable changes in mood, decreased feelings of stress, and enhanced appetite. These rewards occur during intoxication only and prompt people to obtain and use the drug repeatedly.

THC
Marijuana use causes temporary physiological changes. The psychoactive ingredient THC activates the cannabinoid receptors in the central nervous system. These receptors play a role in the reward pathway of the brain and when an interaction occurs between the brain and THC, the body senses a physiological reward, often in the form of euphoric mood, cessation of pain, and temporary relief of stress. According to the NIDA, because THC rapidly passes into the bloodstream and throughout the body, prolonged use of marijuana can permanently alter the brain's natural tendency to balance and regulate motivation and reward. In the event of marijuana cessation, for up to two weeks a person may become irritable, have disturbance of sleep and appetite, and have thoughts centered around obtaining the drug. This signifies craving, which is a property of psychological addiction that eventually subsides with long-term abstinence from marijuana.

Read more: Addictive Properties Of Marijuana | LIVESTRONG.COM

Addictive Properties Of Marijuana | LIVESTRONG.COM

Meth and LSD don't produce physical dependence - it's all psychological but it's a problem nonetheless.

Narcotics, depressants, and alcohol produce psychological and physical addictions. Stopping them can be fatal.

Ummm, meth does cause physical dependency.

While it may be true... I still like alcohols but I have no gut to drink more than one cup. I'm easily feel so buzz if I do. :P

Ha ha I think If i drink 4 or 5 cups of beers then i will feel tipsy so nice, if i continue more than 4 or 5 cups. I will end up puking. :shock:

People can get addicted to make-up, food, eating dirt and etc but allthose things dont have addictive properties. I have to agree that it is the person's physological make-up on whether they have an addictive personality or not.

smoke up some meth for like say 1 month and get back to me.

drug on addiction movies call interveal on crisis, that is awful! serious risk dangerous!

Right. People are born with the predisposition, and generally, those who have been given the predisposition through heritage are also raised in an environment that kicks that predisposition in. In other words, addicted people raise addicted children.

Back