deaf and hard of hearing actors and actresses

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
deaf actresses/actors

Everyone! Can help me complete an ASL Literature Project!

If you wish to participate, it will not take long!

This Survey is part of my project, please fill it out!
Email to: alwaysbefullojoy@yahoo.com

It will Test the Public’s Knowledge on Deaf Actors and Deaf Actresses

Are you:
a) Hearing

b) Deaf

c) Hard of Hearing

b) Female

Do you know the names of any Deaf or Hard of hearing Actors/Actresses? If so, please list.

4. If you answered Question #3, how did you hear about these Actors/Actresses?

a) Read an article about them

b) Word of mouth

c) Media- Television, Newspaper, etc…

d) You just know

5. Do you recognize any of these Actors/Actresses? (Please mark with*)

(Hint: One of them was the Hulk, another Sue Thomas F.B.Eye)

Troy Kotsur

Deanne Bray

Tyrone Giordano

Amy Ecklund

C.J. Jones

Lou Ferrigno

Michelle Banks

Phyllis Frelich

Linda Bove

Anthony Natale

Howie Seago

Marlee Matlin

6. Do you think more Deaf and hard of hearing Actors/Actresses should be hired for television shows, film, and theater? Why or Why not?

7. Do you know why it is so hard for these Actors/Actresses to get a job?

8. Do you think it is fair that many hearing Actors/Actresses receive a role before Deaf or hard of hearing ones?

a) Yes

b) No

9. Do you think it is fair that hearing Actors/Actresses play the roles of Deaf people instead of Deaf Actors/Actresses?

a) Yes

b) No

10. Along the lines of Question of # 9, why do you think directors and producers choose hearing Actors/Actresses for a role of a Deaf person instead of the best sources of all Deaf Actors/Actresses?

Any other Comments:

(THANKS, SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!)

Note: If you would like the results of my survey just place your email address here and when I collect all the data, I will gladly send you a copy!

Email:

Ps: if you would like any information on these Deaf and hard of hearing Actors/Actresses above, online resources are great and there are two wonderful books out there called “Hollywood Speaks Out” and “Deaf Heritage” by Jack Gannon.

Created by "alwaysbefullojoy" at DeafBase

hmmm....I'm not quite sure if this link is acceptable in AD since it's about another forum.....

I don't know half of those actress/actors but I do know some of them, but thanks for showing it to us :)

Lol, Beo!

Btw, all dead composers are deaf, too! Lets's be fair! Lol, right Beethoven was deaf in his later years.

Troy Kotsur ?
Deanne Bray ?
Tyrone Giordano ?
Amy Ecklund ?
C.J. Jones X (saw him up close and personal. Funny as hell... it is better to see his show in person...)
Lou Ferrigno X (he was the green hulk or something...? I know he was a bodybuilder. Saw him at a comic convention. He is not deaf-- "hearing impaired".)
Michelle Banks ?
Phyllis Frelich X
Linda Bove X (Seasame Street, no child of 80s didn't watch it and learn their ABC in ASL)
Anthony Natale ?
Howie Seago ?
Marlee Matlin a BIG X (no big mystery here. I think she is the "public" deaf actress that both deaf and hearing audiences know. alas the hearing audiene wouldn't know her name-- "that deaf actress in that movie... children of silent lamb or something?" har har)

Cool...thanks for sharing this with us. :)

There were a few that weren't mentioned in the list. Hmm...ShoShannah Stern, Julianna Fjeld, Freda Norman...Ed Waterstreet...Jonathan Hall Kovacs

I know recognize Amy Ecklund from Guiding Light (soap opera). She played a wife of this doctor Mr. Bauer. She got a CI later and used as part of her show. They both separated because she wanted to do something else and talk about her CI to large audiences in Washington, DC. lol, that was in the soap opera, but I feel this was exaggerated that people's life change like this because of CI. Oh well, but I notice that when an actor/actress will leave the show, they will come up with something kind of silly and never show them again--not until many times later. She lost her hearing at 6 years olds in real life. She can hear on the phone now. It was shown on Oprah.

I recognize Marlee Matline. Yeah, she does not want a CI. She married a cop and had a few children.

I recognize Deanne Bray from Sue F.B. Eye. I read that she was a teacher for hearing impaired children. She didn't believe that people could read lips, so I believe she isn't as deaf as many of us think. I read that somewhere online.

Oh well, interesting tidbits to share.

Oh and Beethoven, the obvious pianist prodigy. Anyway, he had a progressive hearing loss, so he did have hearing before. I read somewhere about his life and the things he did to produce music especially how to "hear" music through his teeth with a wood connected to the piano. He heard music in his head. Yeah, a prodigy. Read a book about him if you're interested in further details.

nobody mention levonian either.. makes me wonder.. i have seen this monkey around

Back