What's your definition of 'crush'?

Meg said:
Having a crush to me means that my heart skips a beat or goes fluttering whenever see his name or face but not know him well. I could have a crush on someone on AD or someone from TV/movies or someone working at places I frequent, etc.

Just an admirer from far away distance.

Most of crushes are short lived or rarely acted out unless a miracle happens.

It is not the same as being truly attracted to a man I know fairly well - it is more of a real "like or love" thing.

IMO.

Hmmm, Meg, you bring a new element into this discussion, "admiring from afar." .... Okay, I get your point, but don't you think it stirs up feelings of possible romance, of wishes of what could be, ofthe idea that your life is not running as you wish it COULD be?
Jeez, don't look at me, you brought it up!

Interesting!!!

British way:
I fancy Ben Affleck :lol: and daydream about him... like what I say at my earlier post.

American way:
I crush Ben Afflect :lol: and daydream about him.... like what Americans alway says..

Right..... ?

I will find out from my American co-workers. I work for US army for 19 years and never heard one word "crush" until I learn something from AD forum.

Reba said:
I wish I could use a video to show "crush" visually. It is like a young girl looking at a photo of a guy she has a crush on. Her eyebrows go up, she stares at the picture, and she sighs deeply and slowly. Then she clutches the photo to her heart.

"Crush" usually means someone is secretly attracted romantically to another person. It is usually an attraction that will never be realized, such as a student has a crush for a teacher, or a teen has a crush for a famous singer, or a shy girl has a crush for a popular school football player.

A crush is someone you have daydreams and fantasies about.
Meg said:
Having a crush to me means that my heart skips a beat or goes fluttering whenever see his name or face but not know him well. I could have a crush on someone on AD or someone from TV/movies or someone working at places I frequent, etc.

Just an admirer from far away distance.

Most of crushes are short lived or rarely acted out unless a miracle happens.

It is not the same as being truly attracted to a man I know fairly well - it is more of a real "like or love" thing.

IMO.
So it is not 'adolescent' thing? It can be any age?

guys & gals, thanks for sharing your opinions! :thumb:

Beowulf said:
Let me be blunt here, okay? A crush is when you wanna bonk somebody's brains out.

Oh, well, this leaves me out! I was twelve the last time I had a crush on anybody ***thinking*** Well, wait a min! No, I wasn't! I was much older :Oops:

So, okay, maay-be!

:rofl:

Malfoyish said:
I'm with Cheri on this one - I believe a crush to be an obvious interest in another - an attraction/infatuation with someone. The one crushing is inclined to want to get to know as much as possible about the one they have a crush ON, and in turn, see if this is someone that they can fall in love with later.

I agree with this as well. I was twelve at the time of my first crush. I've also had a few adult crushes, too. By this, I mean people who I've been attracted to. It's my rotten luck, but I tend to develop interests in people who are unattainable to me.

Ah, well. :lol:

Oceanbreeze said:
I agree with this as well. I was twelve at the time of my first crush. I've also had a few adult crushes, too. By this, I mean people who I've been attracted to. It's my rotten luck, but I tend to develop interests in people who are unattainable to me.

Ah, well. :lol:

Could it be that you unconciously do this on purpose, picking out these unattainable ones so that you will not have to risk getting hurt or whatnot but justify it by saying "Oh well that person is not available anyway."? Doing this helps you avoid knowing that the person did or cant not dump you so you cant really get hurt that way. ;)

Meg said:
Could it be that you unconciously do this on purpose, picking out these unattainable ones so that you will not have to risk getting hurt or whatnot but justify it by saying "Oh well that person is not available anyway."? Doing this helps you avoid knowing that the person did or cant not dump you so you cant really get hurt that way. ;)

This is probably something to be discussed via IMs, but you raise a good point. To give you a short answer, though, I would say probably, yes. :)

Oceanbreeze said:
This is probably something to be discussed via IMs, but you raise a good point. To give you a short answer, though, I would say probably, yes. :)

:)

Back