Deaf man Can't Sign

Not to sound flip and short but total immersion's probably the best way, I think. So hang on; others will chime in.

Agreed 100%. Nothing more need be said.

In the classroom they'll teach you textbook Asl and you cannot go wrong signing like that. However, most native signers sign nativly not with what's learnt out of a textbook.

With textbook signing you have to do all that eyebrows up and down stuff and go up and down on certain letters with finger spelling. That is all a big part of signing this way.

Native signing though, you rarely see any of that. With native signing, which is how most of us deaf sign ... you will see lots of facial expressions and people signing physically how they naturaly sign, which is different from person to person.

I am taking up sign myself too. I registered for Asl 221 at the local college here for the fall quarter. It was formerly Sign 201, which is the same as Sign 4 and Asl 4. I unlike most deafs, never learnt sign language from childhood or birth; even though, I am a native signer and sign very fluently.

Glad that you have learned sign and are fluent, but unless ASL is your L1 language, you are not a native signer.

L1 language? By that you mean what?

I mean that sign is not your native language unless you have been signing from birth or shortly thereafter. Therefore, you are not a native signer. You may be a fluent signer, but fluency does not imply nativity.

Ever consider that you probably get back what you put out?

Sure have and thats primarly why i dont consider it to be me but other deaf people.

The few deaf people I know who are actually nice to me tell me I am cool, funny, nice, etc.. stuff like that. So there is some basis for coming to a conclusion that its not me.

Sure have and thats primarly why i dont consider it to be me but other deaf people.

The few deaf people I know who are actually nice to me tell me I am cool, funny, nice, etc.. stuff like that. So there is some basis for coming to a conclusion that its not me.

Given some of your posts, there is also a basis for coming to a conclusion that it very well could be.

Given some of your posts, there is also a basis for coming to a conclusion that it very well could be.

And its snide remarks like that dont persuade me into thinking deaf people, generally speaking, are not typically rude and mean.

And its snide remarks like that dont persuade me into thinking deaf people, generally speaking, are not typically rude and mean.

I'm not deaf.:laugh2: But if you would like to refer to snide remarks, scroll back up and check your post to Redfox.

I'm not deaf.:laugh2: But if you would like to refer to snide remarks, scroll back up and check your post to Redfox.

:wtflol: Then what would you know about the deaf? As the old saying goes, walk a mile in my shoes.

Then what would you know about the deaf? As the old saying goes, what a mile in my shoes.

And that attitude is exactly what I am referring to. You make far too many assumtptions about people. I daresay, I have more experience with the deaf/Deaf community than you yourself do.

And that attitude is exactly what I am referring to. You make far too many assumtptions about people. I daresay, I have more experience with the deaf/Deaf community than you yourself do.

You not being deaf is not an assumption its a fact. You said yourself you are not deaf.

Also, you can't claim to know how someone has lived their life or what they have gone through without actually being in their shoes.

:roll: Please learn the difference between assumption and fact!

Yup, far too many assumptions. Newbies need to tread carefully; well, not necessarily newbies but those who haven't been around enough....that chip's just gotta go; then we will be fine.

Yup, far too many assumptions. Newbies need to tread carefully; well, not necessarily newbies but those who haven't been around enough....that chip's just gotta go; then we will be fine.

I was attempting to dislodge it!:lol:

You not being deaf is not an assumption its a fact. You said yourself you are not deaf.

Also, you can't claim to know how someone has lived their life or what they have gone through without actually being in their shoes.

Nor can you. You are projecting your own bitterness onto others.

Back