Anxiety, Stress, Mental Health...

Forgive me, but the bolded sounds like an excuse. Treatment ISN'T easy. Drug therapy won't completely get rid of the anxiety we feel. It just takes the edge off so we can function. The aim of drug therapy is to help us be functional so that we can work with a pyschologist to help ourselves deal with the things that scare us.

Also, the therapy ITSELF is difficult, because, LIFE is difficult. If you're looking for "easy", you won't find it.

Hang in there, it does get better with time if you're willing to put a lot of work into changing things. But, it does take a lot of time!

Adding my 2 cents worth:

I have a long history of mental health difficulties, which has included spent time in psychiatric wards. I have found medication prescribed by my psychiatrist to be helpful, but the most helpful thing for me has been learning to manage my thoughts and emotions using the insights of psychological research and properly trained counsellors/therapists/psychologists.
(Psychiatrists are better at the drug side of things, while qualified psychologists are better at the psychological side of things.)

I agree with Oceanbreeze in that drugs can only do so much, though what they do can be essential. And it is relatively easy to swallow pills. What is much harder is learning how to manage my moods, thoughts and emotions (note that I say 'manage' and not 'control' because if I could "control" my feelings, I would make sure I never get those horrible ones ever again!!!). And to echo Oceanbreeze again, easy it ain't! On average, I've devoted about half a dozen hours a week, every week, for fifteen years at the psychological side of things, and I anticipate having to continue to spend this amount of time until I die.

I know...

Forgive me, but the bolded sounds like an excuse. Treatment ISN'T easy. Drug therapy won't completely get rid of the anxiety we feel. It just takes the edge off so we can function. The aim of drug therapy is to help us be functional so that we can work with a pyschologist to help ourselves deal with the things that scare us.

Also, the therapy ITSELF is difficult, because, LIFE is difficult. If you're looking for "easy", you won't find it.

Hang in there, it does get better with time if you're willing to put a lot of work into changing things. But, it does take a lot of time!

I'm not looking for easy. Im just asking for tips that anyone has that I could try. I have done CBT and it has helped, but I still have episodes, and thats what Im asking about. Tips to control/manage myself better.
I know these is no easy fix, there may be no fix at all, this isnt an easy illness, and life isn't easy. I just want a way that I can live a normal life. Its not 1 thing in particular that scares me, thats why its called Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

CBT(as with most behavioural therapy) has very limited application in MY veiw

And CAN a waste be of insurance cover

There are other therapies out there

I agree the CBT is not as effective as some people claim it to be. This is because in recent years it has been sold as a low cost quick cure for mental illness and money (or saving money) shouts very loud, louder than balanced research. However done properly, and away from the accountants, CBT does work well for "less serious" mental problems such as stress. IMO it doesn't work as well for the deep seated problems that have left sufferers emotionally damaged such as childhood trauma.

I'm not looking for easy. Im just asking for tips that anyone has that I could try. I have done CBT and it has helped, but I still have episodes, and thats what Im asking about. Tips to control/manage myself better.
I know these is no easy fix, there may be no fix at all, this isnt an easy illness, and life isn't easy. I just want a way that I can live a normal life. Its not 1 thing in particular that scares me, thats why its called Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Have you explored Mindfulness therapy? MBCT Home
Or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? Acceptance and Commitment Therapy - Wikipedia
Or my personal favourite - Compassionate Mindfulness Therapy Compassionate Mind Foundation

What I found personally helpful from these therapies is that they teach me to accept my difficult & painful feelings, rather than criticize myself for having these problems. In my experience I've discovered that if I start to judge myself and tell myself to do better or that I need to "fix" myself, it has the paradoxical effect of making me worse. But if I genuinely and compassionately accept my painful moods/thoughts/feelings, they don't get "fixed", but an edge is slowly taken off them making them just that little bit easier to live with.

An analogy I use is that sometimes my painful emotions are so powerful that it's like sinking into quicksand that saps all my energy making me feel like I'm going to drown and disappear under the surface. My instinct is to struggle and fight but that makes it worse. If I can learn to relax (and this isn't easy!) then I slowly stop sinking and my head stays above the surface.

The discomfort is there, and I'm not "fixed", but I now know that I'm not going to drown. I don't feel cured, but I have hope that I can endure this pain. A person without mental illness may read this and think "That doesn't sound very much", but to me it's a massive improvement on thinking that it's all too much and I can't look forward to anything.

There are many psychological approaches for anxiety and depression, my friend. CBT is but just one of them. There's also Dialectical Behavior Therapy (which I'm personally a fan of) and other therapies.

I would agree with you that the more complicated the person's diagnosis is, the harder it is to treat. I personally started out with CBT and didn't do well. Eventually, I moved on to DBT, and have now been stable for about 3 yrs. As I mentioned, it takes time and effort to find the right treatment. It's also worth it in the long run.

I'm aware that people with GAD are fearful of many things. I suffer from it, myself and many things can set me off.

You could try seeing a good osteopath. A Dr who is familiar with both western medical approaches and nutrition. They can investigate whether or not you have nutritional deficiencies that may be helped by supplements. I did this and found that I, in fact, am deficient in a lot of B vitamins. Therefore, I supplement.

You could also try yoga to help relax you. Also, having a routine to rely on is helpful. I find that when things get chaotic, things start to go side ways for me. I find that having a set routine grounds me and gives me something to count on when whatever else is making me jumpy. I am someone who thrives on predictability. The more unpredictable things are for me, the harder I'm going to struggle. Therefore, I have set bedtime that I adhere to, regardless. I also make sure I eat regularly. These things sound simple (and they may be), but for ME, they are also very important. If I am overtired, I really start having a hard time coping.

Also, some kind of exercise might also be of help. Exercise is said to help alleviate depression and anxiety. Even something as simple as a 20 mins walk a few times a week can be helpful.

I agree the CBT is not as effective as some people claim it to be. This is because in recent years it has been sold as a low cost quick cure for mental illness and money (or saving money) shouts very loud, louder than balanced research. However done properly, and away from the accountants, CBT does work well for "less serious" mental problems such as stress. IMO it doesn't work as well for the deep seated problems that have left sufferers emotionally damaged such as childhood trauma.

It also doesn't work very well for certain eating disorders, either. In fact, NO therapy has been effective in EDs unless full weight restoration is undertaken (if underweight) and/or chaotic eating habits have been corrected. Once weight restored, then therapy can begin and therapeutic techniques employed.

To date, there's been no empirical data to suggest that "talk therapy" is effective in anorexia nervosa. DBT has been used but it's experimental. Studies have been done and have shown that CBT is effective with bulimia along with the introduction of prozac (fluoxetine).

Have you explored Mindfulness therapy? MBCT Home
Or Acceptance and Commitment Therapy? Acceptance and Commitment Therapy - Wikipedia
Or my personal favourite - Compassionate Mindfulness Therapy Compassionate Mind Foundation

What I found personally helpful from these therapies is that they teach me to accept my difficult & painful feelings, rather than criticize myself for having these problems. In my experience I've discovered that if I start to judge myself and tell myself to do better or that I need to "fix" myself, it has the paradoxical effect of making me worse. But if I genuinely and compassionately accept my painful moods/thoughts/feelings, they don't get "fixed", but an edge is slowly taken off them making them just that little bit easier to live with.

An analogy I use is that sometimes my painful emotions are so powerful that it's like sinking into quicksand that saps all my energy making me feel like I'm going to drown and disappear under the surface. My instinct is to struggle and fight but that makes it worse. If I can learn to relax (and this isn't easy!) then I slowly stop sinking and my head stays above the surface.

The discomfort is there, and I'm not "fixed", but I now know that I'm not going to drown. I don't feel cured, but I have hope that I can endure this pain. A person without mental illness may read this and think "That doesn't sound very much", but to me it's a massive improvement on thinking that it's all too much and I can't look forward to anything.

I'm a huge fan of mindfulness techniques.

While I do agree that everyone is different...in my case, I solved it on my own. After several nervous breakdowns, and being prescribed so many, many medications, seeing a psycharist 2-3 times a month.

I realized that I did not need all those medications!...I took some advise, and moved away from all the stress and took it easy for several months. I believe that it's just "life in general" that caused me so much anxiety and stress....even one psycharist told me that "your deafness is the reason you are depressed"!....And I never saw that psycharist again!

It's been many, many years since I've taken any medication, I don't believe in pills....all I take is meds for acid reflux and ear drops for my ears.

Find a good therapist or psycharist to help you, without Pills. So many doctors are what you might call "Pill Happy", always having their notepads out and prescribing pills for every little thing.

Wishing you the best! Be strong, and remember it's still a beautiful world out there, with all it's sham and drudgery, try to find some peace within your soul!

it is true! strong on advise on explain medication! If suppose on depend anxiety reason health complication! strong advise! important! that is why pretty lots of complication strong on advise!

I have been diagnosed with GAD, Situational Anxiety Disorder, OCD among other things. I have also gone through 2 periods of severe depression. During the depression episodes, I was on medication and seeing a therapist. Right now, I am seeing a therapist online, but not on any medication. Part of my treatment plans are making sure I have plenty of hobbies and different forms of relaxation. We know that the SAD will go away or at least not be as bad, once I move out of my MIL's home.

I rely on all of my hobbies and such to get me through. I do not like to be on medication if I can help it, but, if the therapist or my doctor feel I need it, then I will take it as long as I need it. So far, I am doing well. I do not vent as much here on AD as I had been doing. I have a journal on my computer that has 3 passwords that I type out everything. It then gets sent every three months to my therapist. I am in Florida and she is in Missouri.

Good Luck!!

Please recommend to important to on professional reason new psychiast & doctor family that is why!

AJWSmith and OceanBreeze Thank you. I will try those different techniques.

I have always wondered if it was a hormone imbalance or a deficiency, and had no idea what type of Doctor to contact.
Its hard without insurance.

AJWSmith and OceanBreeze Thank you. I will try those different techniques.

I have always wondered if it was a hormone imbalance or a deficiency, and had no idea what type of Doctor to contact.
Its hard without insurance.

You're welcome. You're also wise to consider hormonal issues. I don't know if hormones cause anxiety or depression, but they can sure aggravate it. If you can, I would first consult a gynecologist. If it's prudent to do so, premenstrual dysmorphic disorder can be looked into. Also, thyroid disorders may be something you can look at with a general practitioner. A thyroid dysfunction can give rise to depression (maybe anxiety?).

Unfortunately, this does cost money. You could go to a low cost clinic in your area and have some of this done, though. If you think there is a physical issue at play here, I'd definitely get that ruled out! No need in suffering if you don't have to. Good luck!!!

My case problem is my pituitary gland not working properly and about 25 percent of American people have them and they do not know it. Doctors does not know it. Only my gyn found it which other doctors and my shrink did not know s^&t. I never trust any of those doctors again so I only see my endo doctor and take this medicine for rest of my life. Now my hormone (proclatin) is back to normal and I do not have those eposide anymore. My husband is on depress medicine because of his chronic pain in his back so he needs to keep going on, mostly of those anixety and panic ( I believe came from physcial not in the mind) alike I said every one is different. Hope this will help some for whom is feeling out of whack. Okay.

Yes...

You're welcome. You're also wise to consider hormonal issues. I don't know if hormones cause anxiety or depression, but they can sure aggravate it. If you can, I would first consult a gynecologist. If it's prudent to do so, premenstrual dysmorphic disorder can be looked into. Also, thyroid disorders may be something you can look at with a general practitioner. A thyroid dysfunction can give rise to depression (maybe anxiety?).

Unfortunately, this does cost money. You could go to a low cost clinic in your area and have some of this done, though. If you think there is a physical issue at play here, I'd definitely get that ruled out! No need in suffering if you don't have to. Good luck!!!

I do have problems with my period as well (My womens only post), so I have been seeing a gyno. I have wondered if this is all linked somehow. I have had blood tests on my thyroid and they came back negative.
I have went to the low-cost clinics in town, and they dont give a crap about anything, but Im still trying to get testing out of them, maybe if Im persistent enough. Im moving to a new city at the end of the month, maybe I will have better luck there, and hopefully find a job with health insurance.
I need to find a doctor who will put this all together.

hellos245 Hello I hope be you have probelm issues tough on cause problem cause isssues high anxiety, mental professional told me have issues CTB and professional book reading

cope your handle to tough! I did struggle on fight to rid the anxiety!

It is seems on better Normal

if you negative increase your worried waste of time your engery!

counsillor is very explain to said avoid on worried mind or your somethign your obsessive!

my point I advise to attending to help support counsellor and on mental health lots of issues improve change strength

you will better normal anytime depend your while hope be medication or influence I Hope be your solve future better successfully or you have term long

I had long term also I have issues medication! I am fine normal well happened worried my mind! increase worried and scared, depression! I experience it

Thanks...

I have been diagnosed with GAD, Situational Anxiety Disorder, OCD among other things. I have also gone through 2 periods of severe depression. During the depression episodes, I was on medication and seeing a therapist. Right now, I am seeing a therapist online, but not on any medication. Part of my treatment plans are making sure I have plenty of hobbies and different forms of relaxation. We know that the SAD will go away or at least not be as bad, once I move out of my MIL's home.

I rely on all of my hobbies and such to get me through. I do not like to be on medication if I can help it, but, if the therapist or my doctor feel I need it, then I will take it as long as I need it. So far, I am doing well. I do not vent as much here on AD as I had been doing. I have a journal on my computer that has 3 passwords that I type out everything. It then gets sent every three months to my therapist. I am in Florida and she is in Missouri.

Good Luck!!

I have a few hobbies. I also type everything out on my computer. Im wondering if things will get better once I move out of this city.

I agree the CBT is not as effective as some people claim it to be. This is because in recent years it has been sold as a low cost quick cure for mental illness and money (or saving money) shouts very loud, louder than balanced research. It doesn't work as well for the deep seated problems that have left sufferers emotionally damaged such as childhood trauma.

Agreed the national insurance for accidents (acc) was trying to use CBT for my childhood trauma. today I look back on that therapy(180 hours) and laugh they were unable/unwilling to see my eating disorder that everyone(foster care social worker,foster carer/s,school) could see.

The problem with behaviour based therapies is that person is to blame and should be able to "control" their symptoms and if not they are bad,wrong and naughty

Adding my 2 cents worth:
And it is relatively easy to swallow pills. What is much harder is learning how to manage my moods, thoughts and emotions (note that I say 'manage' and not 'control' because if I could "control" my feelings, I would make sure I never get those horrible ones ever again!!!). And to echo Oceanbreeze again, easy it ain't! On average, I've devoted about half a dozen hours a week, every week, for fifteen years at the psychological side of things, and I anticipate having to continue to spend this amount of time until I die.

For a while I knew I was dealing with PTSD, but today I learned a new term that applies to me: depersonalization disorder, a type of dissociative disorder. I really had not heard of it before so when I got home from my therapy, I did some light research (research as in Google lol)...and it is really strange to read about something that I experience, thinking no one understood what I was going through. And finally there's a name for it.

Best of luck with your treatment. Hang in there.

For a while I knew I was dealing with PTSD, but today I learned a new term that applies to me: depersonalization disorder, a type of dissociative disorder. I really had not heard of it before so when I got home from my therapy, I did some light research (research as in Google lol)...and it is really strange to read about something that I experience, thinking no one understood what I was going through. And finally there's a name for it.

A very good friend of mine suffers from depersonalization disorder. She always thought she was the only one and that nobody would understand her experiences. And it was so encouraging for her to recently discover that there are many people who have similar experiences and that psychologists have a name for it.

Back