Hearing aids for profound losses

To answer your question, yes.

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/50304-my-day-audiologist-s-office.html

This is a thread that I had posted about my new hearing aid. I'm profoundly deaf in both ears. Up until that day, I've only heard very loud environmental sounds such as sirens (if they are close enough), jets, lawn mowers, etc. You get the picture. With this Oticon Sumo DM that I got (a digital BTE), I can actually hear things that at one time was not possible with a hearing aid. Literature on this hearing aid has dubbed it to be the most powerful hearing aid in the world. I'm still amazed by this experience. My "lines" of my audiogram are way at the rock bottom...and with the hearing aid, the right ear, the audiogram line moved up nearly at the top - well above the speech banana portion. I can hear every sound of the English language. Of course, my perception and auditory discrimination skills are lacking because it is going to take time for me to learn how to recognize all of the audiotory stimulation I'm getting. I've got some serious audiotory processing to do. There are so many things I hear that I have no idea what it is or where it is coming from. I chose not to use a hearing aid in my left ear because it has a loss of 113 DB and since my older hearing aids never really did much good for my "good ear" I certainly didn't see the need for my "bad ear" to have one. I stopped wearing my left hearing aid when I reached fifth grade - it was too annoying and actually made things worse (balance-wise). For now, I don't want a hearing aid in it but my audiologist did suggest having one because he said with this hearing aid, even my left ear will be able to benefit (going as far up as in the middle of the speech portion of the audiogram).

I heard my daughters' voices for the first time. And recently during a visit, I heard my mother's voice for the first time.

**** Very important. Keep in mind I've had years and years of intense speech therapy training and audiotory training. This makes a difference with how well I was able to receive this hearing aid (in my opinion). For someone who has never used a hearing aid before, the effects and reactions might be different for that person. Actually, everyone is different. Just because one thing works for me doesn't mean it will for everyone.

I have profound to severe loss in both ears (90 db in R, 110 in L), and I wear HAs all the time. I can hear at around 75, 80 db with them in and I can distinguish sounds. I can understand speech sometimes, though most of the time it's like listening to a different language. I can hear the words but I can't understand what the words are. I lipread better with my hearing aids because I can listen at the same time. So for me, it's been very benefictial.

Sometimes, when I'm talking to my hearing friends, and they say something while I'm not looking at them, I will understand anyway and answer. Odd, but yay for me I guess :-P

I have profound to severe loss in both ears (90 db in R, 110 in L), and I wear HAs all the time. I can hear at around 75, 80 db with them in and I can distinguish sounds. I can understand speech sometimes, though most of the time it's like listening to a different language. I can hear the words but I can't understand what the words are. I lipread better with my hearing aids because I can listen at the same time. So for me, it's been very benefictial.

Sometimes, when I'm talking to my hearing friends, and they say something while I'm not looking at them, I will understand anyway and answer. Odd, but yay for me I guess :-P

Your experience and dB loss is very similar to my sons. He uses his HAs in select situations, but in others, prefers to be without them.

lose hearing in left ear because us.government baby shot

I lose my hearing in my left ear..because the US.GOVERNMENT give my baby shot when i was still a baby and now i am a bit deaf in my righ ear and i have to wear a hearing aid to hear faraway sound around me

BRADY

I lose my hearing in my left ear..because the US.GOVERNMENT give my baby shot when i was still a baby and now i am a bit deaf in my righ ear and i have to wear a hearing aid to hear faraway sound around me

BRADY
I'm confused. The government did what?

Maybe he is immigrant and had to get booster shot b4 coming in the u.s. Alot of people had that. Or he's just talking about a shot that the gov't requires babies and children to get at a certain age before they start school. For ex. tb shot, or measles, etc

I have a question for you. How many is your deaf percent? I has 90% deaf. When I got a newsletter and good news about digital hearing aids. I was curious to come and check it out if I can get digital HA. I asked to audiologist if I can get Digital HA? She said no, I can't get it. I have to wear a strong power HA. I am same as your hearing exactly. I am kinda to read the lips. It's very long story when I was kid. I had a lack using my voice. I want to be more confidence with my small digital HA. I don't understand why my doctor said I can't take it. Do I should get different audiologist? What do you think?

To answer your question, yes.

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/50304-my-day-audiologist-s-office.html

This is a thread that I had posted about my new hearing aid. I'm profoundly deaf in both ears. Up until that day, I've only heard very loud environmental sounds such as sirens (if they are close enough), jets, lawn mowers, etc. You get the picture. With this Oticon Sumo DM that I got (a digital BTE), I can actually hear things that at one time was not possible with a hearing aid. Literature on this hearing aid has dubbed it to be the most powerful hearing aid in the world. I'm still amazed by this experience. My "lines" of my audiogram are way at the rock bottom...and with the hearing aid, the right ear, the audiogram line moved up nearly at the top - well above the speech banana portion. I can hear every sound of the English language. Of course, my perception and auditory discrimination skills are lacking because it is going to take time for me to learn how to recognize all of the audiotory stimulation I'm getting. I've got some serious audiotory processing to do. There are so many things I hear that I have no idea what it is or where it is coming from. I chose not to use a hearing aid in my left ear because it has a loss of 113 DB and since my older hearing aids never really did much good for my "good ear" I certainly didn't see the need for my "bad ear" to have one. I stopped wearing my left hearing aid when I reached fifth grade - it was too annoying and actually made things worse (balance-wise). For now, I don't want a hearing aid in it but my audiologist did suggest having one because he said with this hearing aid, even my left ear will be able to benefit (going as far up as in the middle of the speech portion of the audiogram).

I heard my daughters' voices for the first time. And recently during a visit, I heard my mother's voice for the first time.

**** Very important. Keep in mind I've had years and years of intense speech therapy training and audiotory training. This makes a difference with how well I was able to receive this hearing aid (in my opinion). For someone who has never used a hearing aid before, the effects and reactions might be different for that person. Actually, everyone is different. Just because one thing works for me doesn't mean it will for everyone.

digi has nothing to do with your loss as far as i know...You can just get a HIGH powered digi aid like the naida exelia from phonak or oticon tego or sumo etc i know many ppl with profound loss that still get some benefit (mostly environmental sounds and some speech) from high power digi aids. You mite find it weird to get use to tho if your going from analog to digi or so i've heard. I've only had a digi aid so i dunno wat the analog is like...i would get another audi's opinion if i were u!

I used analogs for over 17 years and switched to digitals in august 30,2006.and I have severe/profound loss in both ears at 92 decibels.. Digitals are much better even for profound losses.They offer so much flexibility in programming.. I do hear much better with my digitals than analogs. and sure, digitals require a long time analog user some time to adjust.. in my case ,the adjusting period was seven months

I am wearing a strong powerful BTE hearing aid and it is a Oticon Sumo DM. It is a digital hearing aid but it's configured to analog. I have tried several digital h/a but it is not working for me as I am soo used to analog for many many years. I am profoundly deaf in left ear and severe to profound in my right ear. With Sumo, I can hear everything and am very happy with it and am sticking to this one. With my love of music, I can pick out all the instrument playing in a orchestra. It's something I have never really heard before. Before Sumo, I had a Bernaforn BTE and I never hear too good with it.

Whenever you are getting a new hearing aid from an audiologist, make sure it is sound that way YOU want it and NOT the audiologist. You are the one are wearing it and not your audiologist. When I first got this one, audiologist made adjustment to it after my hearing test the way he think is right for me but the sound wasn't right for me at all. I made him change it completely the way I want it sound to suit ME! After that, I have been going back to him a few time to make some adjustment to it to right some sound. And now, I havent been back to him for almost two years. If your hearing aid still sounding not right for you, keep going back and bugs your audiologist and don't give up!

A year before receiving my first CI, I was wearing Oticon DigiFocus II super power BTEs for a profound loss in my left ear and a severe-profound loss in my right ear. While I thought these aids were wonderful for allowing me to hear environmental sounds, they did not help me understand speech no matter how many adjustments were made and no matter how patient I was. Speech sounded "muddy" and unclear, but for whatever reason I could hear environmental sounds quite well with these aids -- in fact, much better than I could with my analog Oticon 380P BTEs. After a year of frustration and no luck in finding a programming setting which would enable me to hear and understand speech, I finally gave up and went back to using my 15 year old Oticons until the time I received my first CI. That being said, I know there are many people for whom digital aids work great -- I just wasn't one of them. :(

How do people know what "percent deaf" you are anyway? Is that on the audiogram somewhere or you divide your loss by a maximum number or something?

I have digital HA's, Phonak Superos. My right ear has 110% loss and my left has 90% loss, and they work GREAT for me. Maybe your (PINKY) hearing loss type is different?

How do people know what "percent deaf" you are anyway? Is that on the audiogram somewhere or you divide your loss by a maximum number or something?

"Percent deaf" is, as far as I can tell, a misnomer; often, people just use their SRTs. More accurate would be to divide your SRT by 120 and convert that to a percentage, but even that is sort of a useless number, I think. My guess is that it's popular because most people don't know what it means to be moderately/severely/profoundly/completely deaf, but people are (sort of) familiar with percents.

"Percent deaf" is, as far as I can tell, a misnomer; often, people just use their SRTs. More accurate would be to divide your SRT by 120 and convert that to a percentage, but even that is sort of a useless number, I think. My guess is that it's popular because most people don't know what it means to be moderately/severely/profoundly/completely deaf, but people are (sort of) familiar with percents.

Even with normally hearing people there is no such thing as 100% hearing. They have a range of hearing that differs from person to person. Some people have very sensitive hearing and others not but both are normally hearing. I agree it's popular because people can readily understand percentages as a way of measuring things but find it more difficult to understand about frequencies and decibels.

i think percentages are very confusing compare to dB if you look at the speech banana and where some certain sounds fall on it and at wat dB range/frequency i think it is easier to understand then by someone saying i'm 90% deaf etc..

Okay, I will talk with my audi about my hearing aids. I'm wearing Phonax Naida in both ears. I don't like the other audiologist tell me to do. I want to be my decide what I need to more hear.

DragonYoga, I was born deaf. I am only deaf in my family but my little third cousin have 2 CI. We are the same deaf's 90%. That's strange for my cousin's HA aren't help him when he was baby. His mom forced him to take a CI without he decide when he is grow up.

This is something I have wondered about. What benefit do people with a profound loss get from hearing aids? Is there any point to wearing them? I know a lot of people DO...but is there a point? I always thought profound meant "can't hear at all" aka no residual hearing...so would HA's even help a profoundly deaf person?

Profound hearing loss does not mean you have no residual hearing. Profound just means you have 70 db or more of hearing loss.

Back