more interpreter issues...UGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When its at the end of the day, she wants to leave early due to student traffic which doesn't clear up until almost about 3:30.
Why is she exempt from school dismissal time? Your teachers don't leave early, do they? How can she be allowed to do that? What makes her so special? How on earth does she not get fired?

And the reason why she arrives late all the time is because shes talking to my teachers, getting coffee, and who knows what else she does.
Sigh . . . totally unprofessional. I wonder what she would do if she had to work in the real world? She wouldn't last one week.

Yes we are allowed to eat in class. Only if the teacher allows us to eat in class. its their room, so they get to decide if its okay or not.
Interesting. I've never heard of that before. Don't you have regular lunch breaks? It doesn't sound like a healthy or hygienic idea. Oh, well.

Even still, the interpreter shouldn't eat while working.

She's complaining alot about her wedding (which is coming up pretty soon), her dogs, the teachers how they're "rude" to her, her computer, her online classes, the students who were "mean" to her, and sometimes about me as well.
Just try to ignore that.

She shouldn't be discussing her personal life while she's working. How can she interpret and chat at the same time? Doesn't she have other adults to chat with in her personal life? Pitiful.

The teachers (I presume) are not deaf, and are not TOD. Therefore they really haven't the faintest idea what she may or may not be signing.

You should look at your IEP to see if it says you'll have an interpreter or an aid. If she's hired as an aid the rules are less stringent. If you're supposed to have an interpreter, that person needs to be certified and professional. Beyond that, if you're supposed to have an interpreter (on your IEP) if she was hired as an aid that is out of compliance with your IEP.

I think you've missed a really important part of my post and Reba's. The contract means
nothing if she's not fulfilling her obligations. The law is on your side. You just need to use
it.

Why is she exempt from school dismissal time? Your teachers don't leave early, do they? How can she be allowed to do that? What makes her so special? How on earth does she not get fired?

Sigh . . . totally unprofessional. I wonder what she would do if she had to work in the real world? She wouldn't last one week.

Interesting. I've never heard of that before. Don't you have regular lunch breaks? It doesn't sound like a healthy or hygienic idea. Oh, well.

Even still, the interpreter shouldn't eat while working.

Just try to ignore that.

She shouldn't be discussing her personal life while she's working. How can she interpret and chat at the same time? Doesn't she have other adults to chat with in her personal life? Pitiful.

All of the teachers doesn't usually leave until 3:30 or until 4. The teachers parking lots are usually still kind of full, even when i came back to the high school for band rehearsals. And I'm not sure if my interpreter is allowed to leave early at all.

We do have regular lunch breaks. The school thought it'd be a good "idea" to allow us to have snacks (if the teacher is okay with it) in class because in high school, they want us to be treated as adults, and be able to have the freedom as adults. But we aren't allowed to text in school like any other school. There are some freedom we are allowed to do.

The teachers (I presume) are not deaf, and are not TOD. Therefore they really haven't the faintest idea what she may or may not be signing.
True. But the teachers should at least notice that while they're speaking, she's not signing. Also, they can note that the terp arrives late, texts during class, and leaves early.

...We do have regular lunch breaks. The school thought it'd be a good "idea" to allow us to have snacks (if the teacher is okay with it) in class because in high school, they want us to be treated as adults, and be able to have the freedom as adults.
I hate to break it to you but most adults aren't allowed to eat at the work place either. :) I interpret at a college, and the students and instructors are adults but they aren't allowed to eat in all their classes.

Anyway, I guess I'm getting off track.

But we aren't allowed to text in school like any other school. There are some freedom we are allowed to do.
That's understandable. Colleges and businesses don't always allow texting either.

You should look at your IEP to see if it says you'll have an interpreter or an aid. If she's hired as an aid the rules are less stringent. If you're supposed to have an interpreter, that person needs to be certified and professional. Beyond that, if you're supposed to have an interpreter (on your IEP) if she was hired as an aid that is out of compliance with your IEP.

I think you've missed a really important part of my post and Reba's. The contract means
nothing if she's not fulfilling her obligations. The law is on your side. You just need to use
it.

The school i go to is a hearing school. All of the teachers there are hearing. There's only one teacher who i know, knows ASL very well and teaches an ASL class there too. We're going to be having a IEP meeting on Wednesday (hopefully) about this situation. my unit principal and the special education supervisor, my parents and possibly my IEP holder and my interpreter and me are going to be involved with the meeting. I'm just really nervous about how they all are going to react in the meeting. I think there might be alot of stern talking, and possibly yelling. I just hope i don't have to deal with this crap next year since its going to be my last year of high school. I want to be able to enjoy my senior year and not have to worry about stupid things like my interpreter or something else.

True. But the teachers should at least notice that while they're speaking, she's not signing. Also, they can note that the terp arrives late, texts during class, and leaves early.

Yes, absolutely. I'm more referring to the teachers determining whether or not she's interpreting language in it's entirety rather than bits and pieces.

IEP meetings are supposed to be non adversarial. I don't really see any reason for your current interpreter to be at your IEP meeting. If I were your parents I'd inform the school district representative that you guys don't want her at the meeting. It's all water under the bridge at this point. This interpreter (it sounds like) can't make this situation better.

IEP meetings are supposed to be non adversarial. I don't really see any reason for your current interpreter to be at your IEP meeting. If I were your parents I'd inform the school district representative that you guys don't want her at the meeting. It's all water under the bridge at this point. This interpreter (it sounds like) can't make this situation better.
I agree. There should be an independent interpreter present to interpret for the student. If they want an interpreter there to consult for professional input, then that should not be the interpreter who is signing for the student during the meeting. That is, they would have two independent interpreters present.

I wonder....is there anyway to for someone to video her doing these things? Or not as the case my be. lol I know that cell phone use is not allowed. But if you, or a friend of yours is secretly taping her, you then have undeniable proof of this person not fulfilling her contract.

As others stated - at any IEP meetings, or meetings discussing your interpreter's performance you are ENTITLED to have an independent fully certified interpreter for YOU at that meeting ... your school interpreter should NOT be the one interpreting at either of these - make sure you clearly state that you require them to hire a certified/licensed interpreter (not the school interpreter, or someone who "knows ASL" etc) for all meetings.

Also - is there any way that either of your parents could "randomly" drop in one day and observe a few of your classes (ie how the interpreter is working etc) ... I know it might mean they have to take some time off work - but honestly, if they happened to quietly be sitting at the back of one of your classes before it started and just "observe" perhaps they'd see her being a lousy terp.

Also - as Reba pointed out , it's not the interpreters JOB to tell you if you're paying attention "properly" ... it's their job to interpret. PERIOD. When I'm taking university classes, I don't spend the whole time with my eyes glued to my interpreters, I have to use a lot of peripheral vision at times to follow things that are going on (writing on the board/overheads etc) ... my interpreters keep interpreting even if I look down to write something, close my eyes for a second (watching "everything" as carefully as we do can get visually exhausting, sometimes you need a mini-break).

k-12 interpreters seem to be under some utter delusion that it's not only their job to interpret, but also to be "parent","hall monitor","life judge" etc ... but it's NOT.

Frankly the clear message needs to be sent my your parents and yourself (preferably in writing (sending multiple copies to the interpreter, your teachers, the principal and the school board office) that your interpreter's JOB is strictly to INTERPRET THE ENTIRE CONTENT OF THE CLASS regardless of if you are "paying attention" or not. They INTERPRET, and ONLY interpret. It is NOT they're job, nor do they have parental consent to comment on your "behaviour" in any way shape or form.

It's also a good idea for it to be put in writing as a "reminder" that Hoh and Deaf individuals utilize our peripheral vision significantly more than hearing people - as such we do not have to "stare directly at an interpreter" at all times to see what they are signing.

I'd think (hope) that a polite but sternly worded letter from your parents and yourself sent to "all related parties" (ie the 'terp, your teachers, the DHH coordinator, the principal etc) would go a long way in terms of helping the situation. As would a "drop in" by your parents (if they're legally allowed to do so).

...As would a "drop in" by your parents (if they're legally allowed to do so).
Not only parents but taxpayers are allowed to observe public school classrooms. They do have to follow the proper procedures (mostly for security reasons), and can't just "drop in." They have to make arrangements with the front office, and check in thru there.

The problem with the parents or another terp observing the classroom is that the interpreter will be aware of their presence and probably be on her best behavior for them.

Not only parents but taxpayers are allowed to observe public school classrooms. They do have to follow the proper procedures (mostly for security reasons), and can't just "drop in." They have to make arrangements with the front office, and check in thru there.

The problem with the parents or another terp observing the classroom is that the interpreter will be aware of their presence and probably be on her best behavior for them.

They might be on their best behaviour ...however they'll also hopefully get the message that "they're being watched" (not in a threatening way) and someone could at 'any time' drop in to observe.... they might be observing the class, or the teacher, or a student or her. The hope being that she'll just have to in general do a 'proper job' or she might loose said job.

In combination with a "global" (distributed to multiple persons) letter it might help.

I found that most, if not all of my college profs had no clue what the "job of the interpreter was" until they received an introductory letter when I enrolled in the classes requesting interpreter support. I'm guessing that it might be even "worse" in the k-12 education system where teachers would quite easily think that "EAs" (educational assistants) and interpreters have the "same role" in checking the behaviour etc of the student ... which is (as WE all know) NOT the case....interpreters INTERPRET.PERIOD. They do not get involved with my/our personal life, they don't comment on my/our behaviour... they interpret in a professional manner (and if we happen to be friends and can balance that relationship properly - great)

I wonder....is there anyway to for someone to video her doing these things? Or not as the case my be. lol I know that cell phone use is not allowed. But if you, or a friend of yours is secretly taping her, you then have undeniable proof of this person not fulfilling her contract.

such secret taping, never mind it breaches school regulations, may never earn the sympathy of most teachers cos if the video testimony is admitted, it will open the floodgates for students to secrete cameras into class whenever there is a minor problem with a teacher or interpreter.
At least thats how it will be handled in my part of the world.

okay i seen alot about the taping idea and the parents or taxpayer dropping in classes.

First off, the special education supervisor HAS came into one of my classes to observe my interpreter, at a random time. and my interpreter has behaved perfectly for her because the special education supervisor is her boss. and anytime somebody (whose like the most important person in the school) drops into my classroom, she will be on her behavior and act like what an interpreter will do. So, even if my parents did came in, my interpreter will act like that. The only time my interpreter isn't behaving as a real interpreter would is when shes around people who doesn't really care what she do, aka, my teachers. My teachers doesn't really know what interpreters are suppose to do so they don't really worry about it, or actually paying attention to what shes doing. They're mostly focusing on teaching the class (well, duh lol).

2ndly, I'm not sure about the taping idea. My parents brought it up. But my school is really strict about cellphones in class. My school has been keeping a really close eye on who is using cellphones in school. Anybody whose texting in class or playing on their phone would get a Saturday's school detention. But would it be worth the risk to get into trouble just for one lousy interpreter? not sure.

But i swear, this week, if my interpreter is not going to be treating me right in a respectful way, i'm not going to be nice about this. Because i have had enough of her. I don't like the way how she yells at me when I'm "falling asleep" in class or how i'm not "doing" my homework. She should mind her own business. And besides, my actions are my own responsibilities. Whatever I did wrong, the teacher will discipline me, or my parents. not my interpreter. The school says that the only reason why me and her are acting like this is because we're like: "sisters". Sisters, really? NO. I have a real sister. my interpreter is NOT my sister. Sure i mean I had her since the 6th grade (middle school) up to this year. But jeesh, i never thought of her as my sister.

Oh I also forgot to mention one thing about my interpreter.

My dad is friends with her on facebook. My interpreter doesn't add high school students on her facebook because we're still a minor. Anyways, after my mom confronted her on the phone last week, My interpreter posted a status on faceook and it showed up into my dad's newsfeed. He said that it went something like this::

"Bad day at school, things got worse afterwards. I need a beer."

it sounds like her too. Because she's always telling me that whenever she isn't at work, shes out partying, drinking. If its not that, then shes complaining about how she had to go to bed at 3 in the morning and then had to get up at 5 with little amount of sleep because she couldn't sleep very well. She always says that. Shes always complaining about how the track coaches are mean to her and how she has to do her college online homework, about working at her 2nd job, etc. I mean, as an adult, they should learn how to deal with it (especially my interpreter) and figure out how to solve their own problems for themselves instead of complaining about it and doing nothing. That, personally, is my own opinion.

...2ndly, I'm not sure about the taping idea...
I would talk to a lawyer before doing any recording. I don't think that's a good idea. It can backfire on you.

...The school says that the only reason why me and her are acting like this is because we're like: "sisters". Sisters, really? NO. I have a real sister. my interpreter is NOT my sister. Sure i mean I had her since the 6th grade (middle school) up to this year. But jeesh, i never thought of her as my sister.
Now I'm beginning to worry about the entire administration of your school. What a bizarre statement. That certainly isn't a professional viewpoint.

The interpreter is not your sister.

The teacher is not your mother.

The principal is not your grandmother.

Talk about a patronizing attitude! (Although I can kind of see the analogy of the school staff to a dysfunctional family.)

I would talk to a lawyer before doing any recording. I don't think that's a good idea. It can backfire on you.

Now I'm beginning to worry about the entire administration of your school. What a bizarre statement. That certainly isn't a professional viewpoint.

The interpreter is not your sister.

The teacher is not your mother.

The principal is not your grandmother.

Talk about a patronizing attitude! (Although I can kind of see the analogy of the school staff to a dysfunctional family.)

yep, honestly, i don't know how many times that i want to get a new interpreter because of how much i had to put up with her. They're not really getting the picture. All they're saying is because of her signed contract and because how we're "sisters" and such. I mean, I don't know what else to do. Is there any ADA proof to show them that, and get serious about this? because from what i heard from the school after talking about it in a mature way, they're kind of bluffing. They say that they want to have a meeting so that way we can discuss of what I deserve to have from my interpreter. But i mean it isn't making the cut. What i need is a new interpreter. Not the same one. Because if i have the same one, theres going to be more drama, more pressure, and more stress. and possibly be treating me the same as before.

I would NOT suggest recording her - it's not worth it, will likely cause more harm than good, and there are better ways to deal with this.

Another thing that would be a HUGE help is for your parents to arrange a meeting at the school with ALL of your teachers present, as well as the principal your SE supervisor you, your parents, and an independently hired certified interpreter. The sole purpose of the meeting being to make sure that the teachers are absolutely positively aware of what the interpreter SHOULD be doing (regardless of you YOU are doing). It might also be helpful to call in interpreter agency and ask if they have anyone who can do some sort of "interpreter orientations" at the meeting (even if you have to pay for it yourself - it's worth it AND you'll be helping any Hoh/Deaf students who come after you!!).

Most teachers don't understand the role of an interpreter - they understand the role of a "signing educational assistant" (they sign, they deal with behaviour issues, and basically "get involved" with what the student is or is not doing). An interpreter on the other hand (as we know) is there to interpret the spoken and auditory information in the class into ASL, and then (if needed) voice for the Hoh/Deaf/SI person - they aren't your "buddy" , they aren't you "mother/father", they aren't your "behaviour monitor - they provide ASL/English and English/ASL interpretation. (Outside of class, if you want to be friends, all the power to you... but while she's functioning as your interpreter she's required to be absolutely professional. period.)

I'd really suggest talking to your parents about writing the letter I mentioned previously -but also having a formal meeting with all your teachers etc and a independently hired interpreter so that once and for all the "role of your interpreter" can be made crystal clear to the teachers, the SE supervisor (who could use an unbiased reminder from someone like an interpreter orientation person from an agency - or university Disability Services Program)

The best way to deal with on YOUR end is to be "very professional" - by which I mean politely but firmly state at the beginning of each class that you are requesting that the entire content of the class be interpreted - that she is to continue interpreting if you glance away (because you can see using your peripheral vision). Even if she thinks that you "appear to not be paying attention - or even fallen asleep" SHE is to continue interpreting in a professional manner - just like she would do for an adult student taking a university course.

Repeat this EACH class (yeah, it's going to get annoying) so that she understands CLEARLY what you are requiring of her for each and every class.

If you speak - make sure that you say it in a confident (but not rude) voice ... then if anyone overhears you, they will hear you being direct, confident in what you want, but also polite (which is important).

If you can, it might also be helpful to write this out on the computer, print out 2 copies and have you and your parents sign both copies. That way you can give one to the interpreter if needed, and can keep the other in your bag/backpack/etc to show your teachers etc if they ask any questions (show it to them if asked, but tell them you require it back to hold onto for other teachers etc). That way everyone knows that your parents are in agreement with what you are requesting :)

I really hope this helps !!

They say that they want to have a meeting so that way we can discuss of what I deserve to have from my interpreter.

GOOD!!

Tell them (have your parents) tell them that you require an independently hired certified interpreter for that (and any) meeting - and then call/email some of the interpreter agencies (they don't even have to be local) as well as RID to get a written info on what the resposibilties of an interpreter are.

You can also print out some information from the RID website:
RID Code of Professional Conduct info

RID "Standard Practices" (multiple PDF documents outlining the "role of the interpreter" and "proper practices" in various settings)

I'd suggest you and your parents read these over, print some relevant ones out as well as emailing them (and the RID website link) to the people who are wanting to set up a meeting.

The bottom line is that if they want to pull the "what interpreter/interpreting you 'deserve' " line of investigation it WILL go in your favour ...As a Hoh/Deaf person - in an educational setting (and many others) you are LEGALLY entitled to a proper, ethical, professional interpreter.

Call their bluff ... you'll win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back