How did you become hearing impaired? How has it affected your life?

I am Deaf, I have been oppressive for years from the hearing people. I struggled to promotion my job at Federal Government. Hearing colleagues do not have their college degrees. They promoted very easily by ear by ear training daily.

Federal Goverment agency is very difficult to hire Deaf people due to poor english write and read. That is bull-shit. :liar: We do have alot of skills in other way with an interpreter ASL.

hearing people are idiot !

Being deaf means muddling through all kinds of controversies regarding how others perceive my deafness personally and in society. At times it can be frustrating in a kind way of oh-no-there-they-go-again-cant-we-all-get-along? I live with labels and prejudices all the time by people who do not know me personally. Being deaf means that I have lived with generalism made about "deaf people" and "hearing people" made by everybody (including me) that isnt necessarily accurate (biased and opinionated, actually). It's like growing up Catholic in my experience, you know? Hard to break that programming.. but it can be done, and I've learned to follow what is in my heart regardless of how others may feel about the subject.

Nothing is 2 + 2 = 4 in my opinion, no matter what justification is made.

I agree with you Tigerlilio

I totally agree with you Tigerlilio.
I'm not deaf, but hearing imparied is label.
People who are deaf are deaf, and people who are hoh( hard of hearing)
are just that.
But they all good in my book.
Margie
Dir. Communications Services
OCDAC
I do interpreter too.

Just came back to thank everyone....

You all have been a tremendous help to me in this project. I certainly learned alot about the deaf community. You guys seem to have an almost familial sense of comradery. I'm kind of jealous, that's really very uncommon in the hearing world. Because of you guys I'm pretty sure I scraped a good grade. Thank you all so much.

WAIT!!!! I couldn't believe myself that I overlooked this. So all ya overlooked this. Read again, are you refering to baldness? Hairing impaired? Or are you refer to a human that can't grow a hair? Look at the original heading of this message

DHB

Tigerlilli0 said:
Hi everyone. I'm doing a project where i must inhabit the life of a deaf person. I need accounts from people who are deaf about what the experience is like and how they feel about it. I'm pretty desperate because i havent been able to get anyone to talk about it but the project is 25% of my grade. I would really really appreciate any kind of response. Thank you!

hey

Lolz I can't believe it, wut if u have bald no hair never again this grows ur hair is life so well never see this whtie hair make u old woman/man same life till death no more grown hair make glad but not! LAZY MINE AZZ!

Just be careful with Wikipedia since it's open-source meaning anybody can edit the information including me and you.

Banjo said:
Just be careful with Wikipedia since it's open-source meaning anybody can edit the information including me and you.
Yep, that does represent a problem.

Banjo said:
DeafDyke, let's not get all politically correct here.

Why is expressing a preference as to what people call you politically correct? She was saying how she felt about the term, which is negative.

If I tell you "don't call me a kike, call me Jewish," is that being politically correct? Or just human?

Would you say a black person who prefers not to be called a "n****r" is being politically correct? (FYI the program edited that word for me, because as it happens I don't believe in knee-jerk PC either.)

Banjo said:

That, though, is really important advice. Many people don't realize that about Wikipedia, even though (or because) it's so fun to read.

Back