"Life Isnt About Money"

Is life about giving with no money?

• Yes, we all should give our lives to others without any monetary value attached.

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • No, we should give but also get some rewards for our hard work.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • No opinion

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
Recently someone told me that when I was complaining about struggling to pay for my bills. That person said life is about giving and that I am doing a good job of it with my teaching job.

Well, when that person said that, instead of feeling proud of myself, I felt bitter. Sure, I give a lot with my job but I would like some rewards like better pay so I wont have to struggle with money.

That being said, do you believe that life isnt about money? I dont believe that life is about being materialistic but I am realistic..life without any money is NOT easy and who WANTS to struggle with making ends meet? I feel that if one works hard, he/she should be rewarded with it not be punished with a salary reduction or whatever.

Am I selfish? I am not looking to be a millionaire but I would like a life where I CAN travel, CAN fix up my house, and NOT worry about finances. That's the honest truth and sometimes I dont want to give and give and give to society while continue to struggle with $$. I cant visit my family in AZ cuz of no money so yea, it takes MONEY to see my family and I would like to see MONEY from my HARD work!

The funny thing is that person who said that to me travels a lot to different countries with her family (according to her FB status) so it is obvious she can afford to travel while I cant. I feel like saying "F*$k you" when she told me that life isnt about money.

I think it is easy to get bitter feelings when you spend time with others who have a lot more than you. But there are greater rewards to what you do than money you can make.

If I had your equivalent as a teacher when I was a kid, I would probably not be such a mess now.

No I do not think you are being selfish. When one goes to college to get a degree.. to live comfortably. It is what you deserve..

Nowadays, it is so hard to just earn enough money to have the necessities. I am sure several people feel bitter about this as well. Most people that work for the state of Florida will not get a raise.. I also heard that the Social security will stay the same for the ones that is receiving it. It is claimed that the Cost of living did not rise.. therefore, no raises. Minimum wages raise is not going to happen here either this year.

This is what makes this country great.. the opportunity of making as much as you want.. You get a degree and work your ass of for it and work for it. It is you, that worked so hard for this.. it is you, that deserves the pay.

It is not being selfish.. it is about enjoying your job and making money from it, to make ends meet. The gratification come from getting rewarded from your hard earned work by teaching children.. and getting a good paycheck to show for it.

Like me.. I work everyday.. I went to college. and I am barely making enough money to make ends meet. I sometimes think... I am in the wrong business, and feel unappreciated. Especially the Teaching field. The demand is so high.. and people (parents) want this and that.. we work our asses off.. to get a itty bitty paycheck..

I think it is easy to get bitter feelings when you spend time with others who have a lot more than you. But there are greater rewards to what you do than money you can make.

If I had your equivalent as a teacher when I was a kid, I would probably not be such a mess now.

Oh..this is not about me as a teacher and my struggles.

However, I will say this...Lately, I havent been feeling the rewards especially with parents complaining about this or that especially with their children not developing speech skills and my boss always finding fault with all of us;.like she wrote a memo to all of us about wearing low cut shirts when it was ONE teacher who did that. It does bring the moral down a bit.

Anyways...
This thread is really about the quote "Life isnt about money" and what you all think of that. That's all. I was giving a little background about why I disagree with it a little bit. :)

No I do not think you are being selfish. When one goes to college to get a degree.. to live comfortably. It is what you deserve..

Nowadays, it is so hard to just earn enough money to have the necessities. I am sure several people feel bitter about this as well. Most people that work for the state of Florida will not get a raise.. I also heard that the Social security will stay the same for the ones that is receiving it. It is claimed that the Cost of living did not rise.. therefore, no raises. Minimum wages raise is not going to happen here either this year.

This is what makes this country great.. the opportunity of making as much as you want.. You get a degree and work your ass of for it and work for it. It is you, that worked so hard for this.. it is you, that deserves the pay.

It is not being selfish.. it is about enjoying your job and making money from it, to make ends meet. The gratification come from getting rewarded from your hard earned work by teaching children.. and getting a good paycheck to show for it.

Like me.. I work everyday.. I went to college. and I am barely making enough money to make ends meet. I sometimes think... I am in the wrong business, and feel unappreciated. Especially the Teaching field. The demand is so high.. and people (parents) want this and that.. we work our asses off.. to get a itty bitty paycheck..

Yea..especially the parents always complaining about what we arent doing for their kids. That is what makes my job so hard. They refuse to accept responsibility for their part...communicating and working with their kids.

I love the kids and I would keep on doing it but the constant struggles with my finances is really getting to me especially that it has been 8 years since I graduated with my Master's Degree...when is this gonna stop? I do not want to struggle with finances for the rest of my life. This is not what I asked for when I went to college..I asked for a job I love that I can support myself on.

Honestly, I would LOVe to be a teacher's aide more than a teacher..but I cant afford that salary.

Yea..especially the parents always complaining about what we arent doing for their kids. That is what makes my job so hard. They refuse to accept responsibility for their part...communicating and working with their kids.

I love the kids and I would keep on doing it but the constant struggles with my finances is really getting to me especially that it has been 8 years since I graduated with my Master's Degree...when is this gonna stop? I do not want to struggle with finances for the rest of my life. This is not what I asked for when I went to college..I asked for a job I love that I can support myself on.

Honestly, I would LOVe to be a teacher's aide more than a teacher..but I cant afford that salary.

It is hard. It is not the fault of the economy. It has always been this way with teachers.

It is glamorous. It is rewarding to see the smiles on the kids faces. but... It does not pay as well as teachers should be paid.

Funny thing it is.. Basically teachers are working the front line of making successful future successful people.

So, should we keep on giving and giving and giving with a BIG smile on our faces?

So, should we keep on giving and giving and giving with a BIG smile on our faces?

As rewarding as putting a big smile on someones face. It does not pay the bills.

The electric company will not keep your lights on to just see a smile on your face... You got to pay them!!!!

As rewarding as putting a big smile on someones face. It does not pay the bills.

The electric company will not keep your lights on to just see a smile on your face... You got to pay them!!!!

Thank YOU!!!

When that person told me that life isnt about money, I wanted to tell her to shut UP!

I had to stop payments to my 401K plan so I can have enough money for gas and food from each paycheck. Not what I envisioned while I was working my ass off in college to get that dream job. :roll:

Thank YOU!!!

When that person told me that life isnt about money, I wanted to tell her to shut UP!

I had to stop payments to my 401K plan so I can have enough money for gas and food from each paycheck. Not what I envisioned while I was working my ass off in college to get that dream job. :roll:

Don't feel bad I cashed mine in too and closed it off. Hoping I will be able to get it started again soon.

Life is not about money... But money is what will get my kids in college when it is time for them to become successful little beings. Along with paying the bills and making sure they are provided for. It is not all materialistic, Is is basically about surviving this expensive world.

Don't feel bad I cashed mine in too and closed it off. Hoping I will be able to get it started again soon.

Life is not about money... But money is what will get my kids in college when it is time for them to become successful little beings. Along with paying the bills and making sure they are provided for. It is not all materialistic, Is is basically about surviving this expensive world.

I think it would be more appropriate to say Life is not about being Super Wealthy!!! :lol:

I think it would be more appropriate to say Life is not about being Super Wealthy!!! :lol:

:lol: Dammit!! I would not mind that either.. But just being able to be comfortable with out having to worry about the bills would be GREAT!

:lol: Dammit!! I would not mind that either.. But just being able to be comfortable with out having to worry about the bills would be GREAT!

That's all I want. I am willing to work hard for it but when I work hard and still struggle to make ends meet, I do not like it. Maybe to some people, that's being a good citizen. To me, it is just not a fun way to live. That's who I am..I believe to get what you want, work hard for it but not work hard for nothing. Sorry.

That's all I want. I am willing to work hard for it but when I work hard and still struggle to make ends meet, I do not like it. Maybe to some people, that's being a good citizen. To me, it is just not a fun way to live. That's who I am..I believe to get what you want, work hard for it but not work hard for nothing. Sorry.

We should become good citizens, and be doctors to save people lives. to put a smile on their faces.. :shock:

Does this person have children?

I found those who don't worry about money don't really pay their bills and it is usually the responsible one who have to pay the price.

We should become good citizens, and be doctors to save people lives. to put a smile on their faces.. :shock:

My cousin who is a foot doctor (poidiatrist) said that doctors dont get paid what they are worth. I was like :shock: WTF?! I am thinking maybe she is only 28 years old and fresh out of medical school so she may not be seeing the moola yet. I have been a teacher for EIGHT YEARS and I am still at square one! :mad:

Does this person have children?

I found those who don't worry about money don't really pay their bills and it is usually the responsible one who have to pay the price.

Yes, she has two childrne with her partner. They are both deaf. She is a stay at home mom.

ok, I do see her point, we ought to work together in a community, devote our time helping people, but at the same time we also want to pay for things that help our life easier (car, washing machine, etc.) I do not think anyone want to work double shift and miss out their family just to pay shelter and food.

I know this guy, who have a slight learning disability, and yet he is married and have children.Because of his learning disability, he can't get paid very good. This guy had to work TWO jobs (and his wife work too) just to make it. The sad thing is that he hardly ever see his family :( Who want that? I bet this partner of her have to work a lot since she is a stay at home mom.

Yes, she has two childrne with her partner. They are both deaf. She is a stay at home mom.

So it was easy for her to make the comment she made.. :roll:

Does she do any volunteer work to get that special rewarding feeling of putting smiles on people faces???

Back