Vote? ID required....

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do too. Sometimes poor people complain that it is difficult to get those state-issued identification cards, and I'm arguing that accessibility should be made easier. Post offices are usually fairly easy to get to, as compared to DMVs (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) which sometimes are not that easy to reach by public transportation.

So while I think there is no problem with requiring a photo ID, it should also be, in an ideal world, reasonably easy to get to a place that can issue those IDs, to make them more accessible to the population they need to serve.

It's not difficult. They're just lazy. God forbid they can't get a ride or pay for public transportation to the nearest D/BMV office. Use a little creativity. They're even open on the weekends, too!

I haven't gotten my DC identification card. It would be a pain in the ass for me to go to the DMV, but it would not be difficult, at all. I haven't gone because I'm lazy.

Yes, those "poor people" have to find a way to get to the local licensing department, pay the fee, wait in line; all to be allowed to vote. Some of those folks need to skip medications or eat; their choice. Imagine tossing this into their budget. Perhaps they can collect fees at the voting booths as well. :hmm:

Well, the cost of it becomes a different argument than the necessity of it. Maybe the cost could be waived or greatly reduced for anyone receiving welfare benefits, for instance.

There could be ways to address cost and accessibility issues that are separate from the requirement that all voters need a photo ID to verify identity.

We do too. Sometimes poor people complain that it is difficult to get those state-issued identification cards, and I'm arguing that accessibility should be made easier. Post offices are usually fairly easy to get to, as compared to DMVs (Dept. of Motor Vehicles) which sometimes are not that easy to reach by public transportation.

So while I think there is no problem with requiring a photo ID, it should also be, in an ideal world, reasonably easy to get to a place that can issue those IDs, to make them more accessible to the population they need to serve.

I don't see any problem with the ID requirement. Illinois does send voter registration cards (no photo) and State Photo ID cards in place of a drivers license are available for those that don't drive but I am not up-d-date on what it currently takes to register as I first registered so long ago and also have driven for more years than I care to count.

The use of the Post Office for the cards seems like a good idea especially in metro areas. It is another time when it is a matter of location, location, location. But not an issue in the area where I live as the local Post Office and DMV on within one block of each other on a main street!

When you go to the polls in the U.S. they check off your name and address, they already know you exist. If it is to cut down people putting in fake votes, perhaps that's an issue, but nobody can vote twice as far as I can tell, you would already be check off.

It's not difficult. They're just lazy. God forbid they can't get a ride or pay for public transportation to the nearest D/BMV office. Use a little creativity. They're even open on the weekends, too!

I haven't gotten my DC identification card. It would be a pain in the ass for me to go to the DMV, but it would not be difficult, at all. I haven't gone because I'm lazy.

Very poor people tend to work more hours and spend more hours in public transit. it does pose a bit of a problem for them. online voting is not possible?

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by that question? I know we don't use fingerprints on our ID cards.

I mean using fingerprinting as a form of identification for voters, but I just realized right now that many people are not comfortable with their fingerprints being on permanent records. d'oh.

Very poor people tend to work more hours and spend more hours in public transit. it does pose a bit of a problem for them. online voting is not possible?

Voting via the internet is not an option for one of my neighbors. She's not connected to the internet. She can't afford it.

Online voting would be ripe for fraud.

I agree that online voting is just asking for fraud. What's wrong with asking for a legal document such as drivers license, state ID card or passport? Want to vote, then produce it! Show your face too! In Missouri I think a non drivers state ID card costs $8. Public transportation is only a couple of bucks. Less than $10 for a long, long time of use.

I agree that online voting is just asking for fraud. What's wrong with asking for a legal document such as drivers license, state ID card or passport? Want to vote, then produce it! Show your face too! In Missouri I think a non drivers state ID card costs $8. Public transportation is only a couple of bucks. Less than $10 for a long, long time of use.

Can an American vote by mail?

In Canada, you can either vote in person or mail in your vote.

Can an American vote by mail?

In Canada, you can either vote in person or mail in your vote.

You can request an "absentee voter" ballot and vote by mail. My mom did that for years after it was harder for her to get around.

No doubt

There is a free voter ID provision in the Texas voter ID law

Excellent! Voting is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. It should never have requirements that put the vote out of reach of any legal US citizen, regardless of income, race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation. Many of our fathers fought for these rights.

Excellent! Voting is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. It should never have requirements that put the vote out of reach of any legal US citizen, regardless of income, race, sex, religion, or sexual orientation. Many of our fathers fought for these rights.

I agree. :thumb:

Yes, those "poor people" have to find a way to get to the local licensing department, pay the fee, wait in line; all to be allowed to vote. Some of those folks need to skip medications or eat; their choice. Imagine tossing this into their budget. Perhaps they can collect fees at the voting booths as well. :hmm:

Here, I believe you have to pay $35 to get a non-driver photo ID. It has to be renewed every five years. The drivers have to pay $75. To be honest, I think if a person is required to carry a photo ID in order to access government services, the photo ID should be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back