Miss Deaf America upset she's unseen at Super Bowl

You know how the leagal justice system favors women in divorce cases. Its why you have Men murdering their wives. Cause they fear the courts will make them pay child support,Court will grant custody of the kids to his wife and his wife takes the house and car. So O.J has a reason to be guilty because of his divorce situtation.. Just like remember Scott Peterson killed his wife and his unborn child? The Jury found him guilty because of he was in divorce situtation. So if they found Scott Peterson guilty they should had found Simpson guilty too.

I don't care if she is on TV or not. Sixty eight thousand six hundred fifty eight attendance saw her using ASL, why need more attention?

We need a deaf miss america that knows how to show some. Cleveage or at a minninum have a dress malfunction. Come on NAD get a little. More media savy

it seems courts are there to make you rich! Because of the stupid juries. How you think o.j simpson got off the hook? Because of his defense lawyers make the juries stupid. They played that tape of mark furhman being racist. That tape gave the jury a reason to free o.j simpson.

palmface

Well, the singer IS a multi-million dollar recording artist, and NBC paid her a lot of money to be there. They are going to have that camera glued on her, get their money's worth. Since the broadcast is captioned, not showing the signer is not an access issue. Granted, the signing was no doubt beautiful and I would have loved to have seen it, but I think our complaint is basically like the mom of one of the backup singers being mad her kid wasn't on TV. The "show", if you want to call our anthem that, was all about Kelly Clarkson. That is where the money is. I think just a few more people tuned in for her vocals...even if only to see if she screwed it up like Christina did last year.

Why isn't NBC network using PIP (picture-in-picture) for signers?

You know how the leagal justice system favors women in divorce cases. Its why you have Men murdering their wives. Cause they fear the courts will make them pay child support,Court will grant custody of the kids to his wife and his wife takes the house and car. So O.J has a reason to be guilty because of his divorce situtation.. Just like remember Scott Peterson killed his wife and his unborn child? The Jury found him guilty because of he was in divorce situtation. So if they found Scott Peterson guilty they should had found Simpson guilty too.

um..... no

Quite frankly, I think this is just ridiculous, immature whining, and I think the Deaf community really needs to let this go before they look worse in the eyes of the hearing world. It was not discrimination. Insensitive? Missed opportunity? Perhaps, but this sort of complaining and saber rattling does more to hurt the Deaf community and reinforce negative stereotypes about Deaf people overreacting to discrimination issues than it does to raise awareness and sympathy.

LET IT GO.

Point is they've been "letting it go" for about 20 years now. Often, in talks prior to the big event, there were assurances of exposure but no cigar......

Point is they've been "letting it go" for about 20 years now. Often, in talks prior to the big event, there were assurances of exposure but no cigar......

Really? She was promised television exposure? I haven't seen or read anything other than people complaining on FB and vlogs. No responses yet from NFL/ABC. Any links? :ty:

Really? She was promised television exposure? I haven't seen or read anything other than people complaining on FB and vlogs. No responses yet from NFL/ABC. Any links? :ty:

Promised exposure? If you read the language, they really don't but the laity's gonna think otherwise. It might take a while but I will try to find this year's "promise".

I don't care if she is on TV or not. Sixty eight thousand six hundred fifty eight attendance saw her using ASL, why need more attention?

I know Rachel M, we went same class from high school, She is very smart, so mature, and respect. So many of our friends can't wait to see her at TV and never happen. They really pissed off big time and blamed to NBC/NFL thru facebook ever I seen. :shock:

Old times, ASL was closer to singer as 10 feet. Now pretty far away like 50 feet away.

Ok, here's an article. Click on the NAD Press Release link when you get to the lower half of the body of the article. Then come back to the article and see a 20 year history of this.

ASL National Anthem at the Super Bowl | Amanita.net

Fantastic article and a great resource. Thanks. However, it doesn't change my opinion. In fact, it just reinforces it. What I see now is that ASL has been featured prominently many times during the National Anthem telecast in the last twenty years, but Deaf are basically complaining that they don't get a prime spotlight each and every year. Good grief.

What exactly does showing the ASL version of the National Anthem do? I saw all this complaining about how if Rachel had been featured, the world would know that Deaf can do anything just like hearing, etc. etc. How does it prove to hearing people that we are capable of doing everything that they do? Of course we are, but signing the National Anthem doesn't prove that at all.

Marlee Matlin's rendition in 93 was absolutely beautiful, and I gained more respect for Garth Brooks knowing that it was because of him that she was featured the entire time.

I had to totally LOL at the "artistic rendition" by the Speaking Hands troupe. Their signing was way overdone and they looked absolutely ridiculous in contrast to Cher's singing. I'm sure many hearing people were laughing like crazy watching it. If I were a TV producer, deaf or hearing, I would never want that situation repeated.

I definitely think that it would be nice if an ASL version were featured every year, but there should be better coordination between the singing performance and the ASL performance, and Deaf should not just expect to get prominent TV time and then stir up a shitstorm when it doesn't happen. There are far more important issues facing the Deaf that the community should be focused on. Like employment discrimination and Deaf-on-Deaf discrimination, which are both rampant.

Heather Whitestone in dazzle, it look awful. I'm sure it's normal in 90s. ewww

Back