! PSA: Watch your torrenting !

Status
Not open for further replies.

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Not sure how many of you guys torrent things out there.. this is just a heads up as a Public Service Announcement.

Internet service providers and movie publishers are following up on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) the past few years, most beginning to take more action this year. Some are within negotiations, some have specific policies regarding pirating.

About 2+ weeks or two ago, all people who had torrented a version of the movie "Hurt Locker" have had their IP's requested by Voltage Pictures Inc., and are in the process of getting sued. There's a story here.

They did this by acting as a seed themselves, and logged all the IP's they could see while seeding.

Many ISPs these days have begun taking action, some have a 1 or 3 strike policy.

So watch what you're doing out there.:wave:

Not surprised, our ISP doesn't care about piracy.

I have encryption on torrent so ISP won't find out about what I'm doing.

uuummmm... not good for me. Over 500 gigs and counting.

But this has been reported so many times in the past

Not surprised, our ISP doesn't care about piracy.

I have encryption on torrent so ISP won't find out about what I'm doing.

that doesn't help much

that doesn't help much

I never experience any throttle or get email from ISP after heavily torrent user, especially tv shows.

I never experience any throttle or get email from ISP after heavily torrent users, especially tv shows.

just matter of time. btw - the ISP will warn you thru WWW, not email.

just matter of time. btw - the ISP will warn you thru WWW, not email.

They did email to some people like one of my friend got warned from Comcast via email about downloaded the movie so I told him to use encryption so no more throttle or email after that, also some members in piratebay said that they got email from cable companies about download the files from torrent so called us to be careful.

I'm not worried because I already know about my DSL ISP doesn't care and I know someone in my area is heavily torrent user without encryption for years so they never get warned or throttled.

They did email to some people like one of my friend got warned from Comcast via email about downloaded the movie so I told him to use encryption so no more throttle or email after that, also some members in piratebay said that they got email from cable companies about download the files from torrent so called us to be careful.

I'm not worried because I already know about my DSL ISP doesn't care and I know someone in my area is heavily torrent user without encryption for years so they never get warned or throttled.

a little better but still not secured.

a little better but still not secured.

Ok but I'm not worried because our ISP isn't throttle/warn infested, unlike Comcast does.

Nah, to be technical they're discussing security.

:hmm: Talking about theft?????

The problem with piracy, people don't think of it as theft; that's why it's a rampant problem. It's hard to explain that "copying isn't theft" is not always true.

So something need to be done to turn that mentality into a profitable measure.

The problem with piracy, people don't think of it as theft; that's why it's a rampant problem. It's hard to explain that "copying isn't theft" is not always true.

So something need to be done to turn that mentality into a profitable measure.

Yeah I would like to see the laws tightened up and enforced....Piracy is without a doubt theft. If people wanted to give their work away they would make it easy

It really depends on where you are from. Certain parts of the world couldn't care less for how much the entertainment industry earns their profits. Canada, Russia, Ukraine etc

There are parts of the world where they can't even have that form of distribution, such as dvds blurays, tv shows aren't even shown or released there. So you got to think what you're talking about if you want to ban piracy once and for all.

It's already getting fairly strict in the USA as of recent.

Yeah I would like to see the laws tightened up and enforced....Piracy is without a doubt theft. If people wanted to give their work away they would make it easy

"without a doubt theft"

Yeah... explain that to the torrent users. They don't think of it as stealing because they didn't shoplift it or pay for someone to copy it or steal it. They think it's free, and everyone else is "sharing" it as well therefore there's no moral wrong. Try explaining to your average Joe that "sharing" is wrong.

I am not saying it's right, but when the general public don't see a moral wrong-- they will go ahead and do it anyway; especially if they justify it as being anti-capitalist or anti-consumerist. It's kinda hard to toughen up laws that are not targeted toward criminal minorities with similar mindsets.

Yes, I know they're undercutting companies' profits, but... hey, your costumers control your products. I means look at iTunes, they capitalized on digital distribution and took away the reasonings for people to pirate (ie. only wanting individual songs and such.)

"without a doubt theft"

Yeah... explain that to the torrent users. They don't think of it as stealing because they didn't shoplift it or pay for someone to copy it or steal it. They think it's free, and everyone else is "sharing" it as well therefore there's no moral wrong. Try explaining to your average Joe that "sharing" is wrong.

I am not saying it's right, but when the general public don't see a moral wrong-- they will go ahead and do it anyway; especially if they justify it as being anti-capitalist or anti-consumerist. It's kinda hard to toughen up laws that are not targeted toward criminal minorities with similar mindsets.

Yes, I know they're undercutting companies' profits, but... hey, your costumers control your products. I means look at iTunes, they capitalized on digital distribution and took away the reasonings for people to pirate (ie. only wanting individual songs and such.)

Don't know if I agree that there is "no moral wrong"....Kinda like taking towels from a hotel....everyone does it (I don't BTW)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back