How do you sign "you're welcome"?

mbrek

Premium Member
Reaction score
I've seen several ways, and wanted to get more input:

Thank you and you're welcome, same sign.
(This always seems awkward/repetitive.)

Signing W with two bounces down from your chin.

Flat hand open, palm up, sliding forward and backward.

Are there any I missed?:hmm:

We just do the normal welcome sign over here, but then we abbreviate everything. :)

OK, this thread should have been titled, "Which way are you signing you're welcome". Right now it looks like a "duh" question...

In the Deaf culture, we don't generally say "you're welcome" in any instances other than welcoming someone into their place/home.

In a response to a "Thank you" it would be "No problem" "Next time" "See me if you need any more help" *thumbs up* ... etc etc...

This is helpful PFH! I'll need to relearn what momma taught me...

Whatever you do, don't use the one with the "W." That makes me cringe.

Open palm. Please.

(Hope none of the SEE signers see this! HA!)

What is the literal meaning of the open palm?

And just for you, I will never sign the W version!

That's a bit longer than I was expecting. Ha, ha!

Thank you for posting this... I have this argument all the time.

I have never seen anyone in the Deaf community sign "welcome" in that context. They acknowledge the thank you, as said before, but there's no specific "You are welcome" sign.

I cannot convince my hearing friends that I'm right on this one... Maybe that video will help. (I posted a similar video from Deaf Red Bear's YT channel on FB with a caption saying basically see? He agrees with me... and then realized they didn't understand enough sign to understand it. Doh)

... and then realized they didn't understand enough sign to understand it. Doh)

Yes, I'm afraid that's where I'm at. I don't understand much of the video.

Right now I can sign pretty well, but I cannot understand as much signed to me. I'm thinking of adapting "sure" to fill in for where I would normally say "you're welcome". But repeating the same sign for "thank you" and "you're welcome" just feels odd. And as a hearie, it's hard to get out of the habit!

Hello question to posts cocern I can help you courage to you I best to your teach I am experience ASL strong my advise expression deep basic easy lesson!

Back