best hearing aid for reverse slope loss

Gettingby

Reaction score
I am new to this site and was hoping for some insight from others who also experience reverse slope hearing loss. Currently, I am trying to find the best hearing aid to accommodate my needs. However, it seems to be more difficult to find one that will bump up my lows that feel in a comfortable range for me. Ths sound seems like it should be loud but the clarity is still out of reach. I have lost 45db in my left and 60 in my right. This will be my third round of aids (first Siemens then Widex CIC) in the last 10 years and my loss continues to grow. Any ideas, on what might be a good fit? I am looking at Phonak products right now...

Any help would be much appreciated!

RSHL has a group in yahoo, and some are very knowledable and experienced.

Did you join it ?? Basically, it is very difficult to find a suitable HA for our
group.
1 Most are HFHL, and the audiologist has not enough experience.
2 THe manufacturer focus in researching the most best seller HA, which
is HFHL HA.
3 Different settings take long time to evaluate.
I would suggest you to find a HA, which includes the tools that you may
adjust it yourselves.

Good luck!!

Thanks flypig! I am very interested in joining the yahoo group. Do you know what it's official name is? I have to admit, I am a bit internet group challenged :). I will try and search for it too. But if it isn't too much trouble, could you send a link or give me more identifying info.

I really appreciate it!

sorry got wrong group

Last edited:
I've got a reverse slope loss. Can you see a decent audi? Such as one attached to a school for the deaf, or a big city audi?
Dump the dinky aids. They don't give enough power for more then mild losses. Go with BTEs.......the difference is amazing.
I have Oticon Tego Pros and they rock!

Thanks flypig! I am very interested in joining the yahoo group. Do you know what it's official name is? I have to admit, I am a bit internet group challenged :). I will try and search for it too. But if it isn't too much trouble, could you send a link or give me more identifying info.

I really appreciate it!
Hi Gettingby,
You are always welcome.
Please enter the link belows, and at the end of the web page,
there is an invitation to join the RSHL yahoo group.
The Bizarre World of Extreme Reverse-Slope Hearing Losses

Neil,A Ph. D. who worked for Center for Hearing Loss Help is very
helpful and experienced.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Response with aids advice.

I am new to this site and was hoping for some insight from others who also experience reverse slope hearing loss. Currently, I am trying to find the best hearing aid to accommodate my needs. However, it seems to be more difficult to find one that will bump up my lows that feel in a comfortable range for me. Ths sound seems like it should be loud but the clarity is still out of reach. I have lost 45db in my left and 60 in my right. This will be my third round of aids (first Siemens then Widex CIC) in the last 10 years and my loss continues to grow. Any ideas, on what might be a good fit? I am looking at Phonak products right now...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Hello, I currently own two BTE aids by Siemens. Cielo Life 2. both are fantastic aids and one of them quit after one repair. I am hard on them riding mountain bikes and fishing in a boat here in Georgia. I bought a pair 5 to 6 years ago and replaced one just about two months ago. Got the same exact model (diff. color) on an Ebay auction for $200! BTE aids are the way to go my friend. My Chiropractor who is a Veteran listened to my advice and now a year later has BTE's and he and his wife really like their performance. good luck and keep in touch.

Hello Gettingby, I am getting new aids too. I like CIC's, but my audi wants me to get BTE's. I might try them, but don't know if I can stand to wear them. I previously had Phonak. They were just ok.

I am looking at Starkey's and ReSound. My Audi suggested the following.

In the Starkey line

Halo i70
Halo i90
Halo i110

In the ReSound line

Linx 7
Verso 9 Wireless
Verso 5 Wireless

The reason I am looking at these particular aids is that they will blue tooth directly to iPhone. Starkey works with iPhone 4 and above and ReSound works with iPhone 5 and above. The streaming from aids to phone does NOT require a streaming device and that is what I like about it. They will blue tooth to any Apple device. Not sure what other, if any, blue tooth devices will work with these aids.

I am researching these aids today and will make a decision in the next week or so. Will post again to let you know how it all works out.

I am also on my 3rd set of hearing aids. My biggest problem is finding an audi that can get them programmed. On my 3rd audi.

Good luck and I will keep you posted.

Trudie

Fitting reverse slope SNHL is tricky because it's counterintuitive to the training audiologists receive. For much more, join the Facebook Reverse Slope Hearing Loss group and read the pinned post and the comment thread for extensive references.

Dan Schwartz d/b/a Auditory Associates
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
Hearing Aid and Assistive Device Engineer and Dispenser
Editor, The Hearing Blog
E-mail: Dan@Snip.Net
Instant Message: RedStateDan @AOL.com, @gMail.com, @Yahoo.com & @Hotmail.com

Back