Top 10 Reasons for Learning Sign Language

You can statements about people you know in sign that they cannot understand and likely never will. You can be truthful and blunt without getting your ass kicked.

You can have a 'private' conversation in public places as long as there are no other fluent signers around.

It can be way to teach others about Deaf culture if they see you signing in public.

sometimes you just cant describe something in words and you need a visual aid.

:werd: Signing is great for all these reasons and more. :)

My favorite use for sign is with toddlers (Hearing, I have yet to meet a Deaf or Hard of Hearing toddler), especially at that stage when they can't quite vocalize, but can move their arms just enough to begin to sign. They are so very cute to watch when they sign. Just today I asked a boy if he wanted "more" cheerios "please". He didn't get the "please" part down, but when I said can you say "thank you", he turned around to look at me and signed it while he vocalized it, and smiled. Soooooooooooooo cute.

Everyone,

If you are ever asked this, we all need to deny Dixie said it or any of us agree. What we don't admit to won't hurt us!!:D

Pfft, I'll admit to it. My best friend from my ITP and I were at a gym where they had completely screwed us over on our contracts (in fact everyone associated with our accounts ended up getting fired). We were having a meeting with the incredibly sleazy manager who was giving us the runaround and so forth. Every time he had to take a phone call or go talk to someone else or whatever, she and I would start up a conversation in sign all about him and what a jerk he was and what we should do about it.

It obviously threw him off because here we were, clearly not deaf (nor, of course, pretending to be), and yet we were having these signed conversations in front of him. But we were more than happy to unnerve him since he was bilking us out of our money.

I can only imangine the look on his face. lol. nicely done interpretrator. :D

pek1: I wont repeat it! :lol:

You can statements about people you know in sign that they cannot understand and likely never will. You can be truthful and blunt without getting your ass kicked.

So very, very true. It's amazing how easy it is to tell people they got fat in sign. :giggle:

And yes Interpretrator, I HATE going somewhere noisy with people who don't know sign. :roll:

I agree with Sheila. I hate going into noisy places where people don't know sign too. I've hated it since before I learned sign. Talking over other sounds in certain places is one of the many facts of the nature of speech that really suck:mad:! I am so glad I became a signer in 1997:). I am hearing but I believe I have Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD).

Many people tell me I "shouldn't limit myself to only signers when looking for people to relate to professionally or as friends". Umm...I refuse to believe I am "limiting myself". I am a proud signer and I find it highly offensive when people tell me that:mad:! I love signing:)! I hate speaking so bad that I will make sure I forget how to speak someday cuz I want places to start providing me interpreters at their expense. Their top reason for refusing is "that I can hear and that I can talk". I cannot afford to take them to court. I should NOT have to take them to court & NOR should I have to pay my interpreter $100s or $1,000s that I will NEVER have.

You seem weird. And hostile. And out of place here.

Uhh

I did not join to be misunderstood. I have already been diagnosed with a developmental disability called Asperger's Syndrome (AS), which is a form of autism. There is plenty of research proving the benefits of signing for people with all forms of autism. I joined this site to meet other proud signers. I don't want anyone here to feel afraid of me or uncomfortable with me. I've read plenty of posts by hearing people on AllDeaf.com & so I don't know why I'm being labeled "out of place here". As for "hostility", I NEVER intend to be taken that way. I don't know what thread to introduce myself on, so if the admins see this post, they should feel free to move it to wherever it belongs.

[Mod Edit - removing personal attack comments]

Interpreters are a limited in time and abundance, why should a business pay and an interpreter waste their time interpreting for you when you understand spoken English? IMO your sign pride is misplaced and you're awkward. Don't blame your hostile nature on a disability diagnosis (which is relatively new and harbors a crap load of skepticism at that)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not join to be misunderstood. I have already been diagnosed with a developmental disability called Asperger's Syndrome (AS), which is a form of autism. There is plenty of research proving the benefits of signing for people with all forms of autism. I joined this site to meet other proud signers. I don't want anyone here to feel afraid of me or uncomfortable with me. I've read plenty of posts by hearing people on AllDeaf.com & so I don't know why I'm being labeled "out of place here". As for "hostility", I NEVER intend to be taken that way. I don't know what thread to introduce myself on, so if the admins see this post, they should feel free to move it to wherever it belongs.

I have Asperger's too. I don't seem to have so many problems making friends as you. Quit trying to get attention for it.

I agree with Bottesini. We all have to put up with anyone who has a mean altitude and we still go on discussing. If you want to rant, that is okay as far as you don't get out of control. We are just discussing what we feel and you have a right to feel what make you unhappy what the ADers said. I do that sometime when I had a bad altitude with someone but I did not want to go far into making trouble. When we discuss, we want to let them know how we feel. So just ignore them when they make a negative remark to you. Just have fun discussing with us.

I came up with few reasons of learning sign language. You did a beautiful job on your ten reasons of learning sign language.

1. Very happy to learn that ASL help me open door to communicate

2. So relieve to learn new signs with Deaf signers in Deaf Club

3. Learn that I can have ASL interpreters in community college instead of mainstream schools where they don't allow ASL

4. Make new friends who might sign differently than I sign so I learn from them

5. I learn to associate with Deaf signers and get along with them in spite of their altitudes

1. I have progressive hearing loss and very poor speech discrimination. Sign helps me understand when I miss words; I can't wait until I am fluent enough to be able to understand sign alone.

2. I have two daughters with hearing loss and want them to learn sign.

3. Sign gave me back my worship experience. I was at the point I couldn't understand in church, but now by using ALD's and watching our interpreters, I can follow the sermon. The act of signing during the songs of worship is incredibly moving for me!

4. I know people who sign that are just really cool individuals and I would love to be able to communicate with them in their prefered language!

ASL is so EXPRESSIVE!

You can say something in a million spoken languages but it doesn't have the feeling signing has. I think it'd be hard to tell a lie in sign.
Its easier to understand sarcasm and play in sign. With spoken language (especially over the phone) its hard to tell when someone is joking.

you can talk about people right in front of them if they do not know sign.

So true. But, what would you say?

For me, I'd sign, "Shipped you on a plane to Japan for a vagina." I wanna do something confusing that one would get overwhelmed by the signs.

[Mod's Edit - previous quote removed - provoking and refuting]

Have no fear. I said what I wanted. You are free to go about making friends and enjoying the site. Good luck.

[Mod's Edit - First paragraph removed due to off topic statement.]

Now, I'd like to get back ON topic. I was initially looking for the Top 10 Reasons for Learning Sign Language that are on the T-shirts that are sold around Cincinnati, OH, but when I did a Google search, I found this forum. I only stated my input on the benefits of signing being far more than those of speech & I just happened to get bashed in return. I just believe I deserve I deserve the benefits of signing at all times no matter who knows sign language & who doesn't...that's the only reason I mentioned an interpreter. In Hamilton County, OH, there are zero hearing people who want to learn it who regularly come to the Signing Community events here. Sure, there are hearing people who want to learn ASL in Hamilton County, OH, but they're rarely @ the social events where I can meet 'em & get to know 'em. Plus, not all of 'em stay with it like I have for the past 11 years.

(Mod's Edit: Comments removed)

Usually meeting hearing people who wants to sign always end up dating, perhaps you should go to OTHER events such as expos and gatherings from Department of Rehabilitation.

For the bashing, that's a normal thing on a forum. You should see the thread they made for ME. It's weak, but hey, that's a way of making friends or rivals, haha.

[Mod's Edit - Previous Quote removed - Off Topic Post]

[Mod's Edit - First paragraph removed - off topic statement]

Now, I'd like to get back ON topic. I was initially looking for the Top 10 Reasons for Learning Sign Language that are on the T-shirts that are sold around Cincinnati, OH, but when I did a Google search, I found this forum. I only stated my input on the benefits of signing being far more than those of speech & I just happened to get bashed in return. I just believe I deserve I deserve the benefits of signing at all times no matter who knows sign language & who doesn't...that's the only reason I mentioned an interpreter. In Hamilton County, OH, there are zero hearing people who want to learn it who regularly come to the Signing Community events here. Sure, there are hearing people who want to learn ASL in Hamilton County, OH, but they're rarely @ the social events where I can meet 'em & get to know 'em. Plus, not all of 'em stay with it like I have for the past 11 years.

Until 4 years ago, I attended deaf events in Hamilton County all the time. And I am hearing. I stopped attending because I moved.

You cannot expect anyone to be there for you all the time. People have their own lives to live, whether they are deaf, deaf/blind, or hearing.

Back