How to fix sounding like you are "talking through your nose" when you talk?

skunker

Reaction score
I'm HoH. I have a bit of a "deaf accent" I guess, but not monotone..rather..I've been told I sound like I have severe allergies when I talk (or I guess another way of saying "talking through my nose").

Does anyone know how to fix this? Any tips aside from going for speech therapy?

Thanks.

Try taking the straw out of your nose after drinking and before you talk.

I'm HoH. I have a bit of a "deaf accent" I guess, but not monotone..rather..I've been told I sound like I have severe allergies when I talk (or I guess another way of saying "talking through my nose").

Thanks.
first option: be proud and accept as you are.

Second option: You can try saying a word many different ways, and have a hearing person tell you that you got it.

Third option: cochlear implant so you can hear yourself better (I see that you are HOH, so I take it that you wear hearing aids. If you wear hearing aids, you are more likely be a candidate if you are severe to profound deaf)

The CI as a third option mentioned above, strictly for purposes of this specific topic isn't the solution. Skunker already knows he's talking like he says he does so it isn't a matter of hearing, per se; it is a matter of harnessing the diaphram or some other "remedy".

The CI as a third option mentioned above, strictly for purposes of this specific topic isn't the solution. Skunker already knows he's talking like he says he does so it isn't a matter of hearing, per se; it is a matter of harnessing the diaphram or some other "remedy".

*inhaling helium* Shame on you for not pushing CI's!

My voice sound that way too but I live near Boston and a lot people talk with a whiny voice so I fit right in. I know some hearing people that sound like they're talking through their nose and their ass!

Off topic, I KNOW! But i'm looking for someone to help me with a project i have for my Sign Language class. Any takers? : )

Yes, take speech therapy lessons for 15 years. Every little mis-pronunciation and every little "sh" "ch" dialect was a big pet peeve of my parents, so I had speech therapy daily at school for one hour for 15 years.

After my parents met our deaf friends at the wedding & baby showers, etc, they never said a word or corrected me again. Guess my speech wasn't so bad after all.

-____- I actually enjoy ASL, but there are just some things you can't get from a dictionary or whatever source you use. Sorry if this offends you in any type of way :)

nope, just that you hijacked someone's thread instead of introducing yourself.

you're probably right.

I used to have a problem with sounding nasal, but it's mostly gone after a fairly significant amount of drilling/speech therapy.

One thing you can do when practicing talking is to touch your nose with your fingers and make sure you don't feel any vibrations unless you're saying "m" or "n" sounds.

-____- I actually enjoy ASL, but there are just some things you can't get from a dictionary or whatever source you use. Sorry if this offends you in any type of way :)

No, just that we get a ton of these " i'm looking for someone to help me with a project i have for my Sign Language class. Any takers?" type of threads. (We literally do get a lot of these requests each week, where someone wants to ask questions for their class, and then never come back after. You should go out into your own community (city, wherever you live, even if you have to post signs or whatever looking for places to go to -- hint: do some work in finding where the deaf people are in your area -- instead of going online and hoping for a quick answer. ) Anyways, Botts has the link where they can go to for the answers to your questions! :)

Thanks.

You might have an issue with a short flap (the part that separates your nasal cavity and your oral cavity) and it will require surgery...only a doctor who specializes in ear/nose/throat will be able to tell you. :/

Thanks.
I've been told by my therapist to practice "whispering" which is something you can do on your own in your home.

You may want to see a therapist, not necessarily to see her or him every week, but just to get some tips or advice on the different methods you could do on your own. Then occasionally check with your therapist on your progress and so forth.

Hope this helps?

Back