Hostile society of the hearing people

Those deaf people who picked on you must have issues with their mentals. They should not have done to you for no reasons.

I know it , and people are usually nicer, that is not that common an occurance.
Just your post reminded me of it. Oh, well. The world isn't perfect yet.

Some hearing are nasty to Deaf but are kind towards wheelchair people etc. Some hearing are nice to Deaf. It depends on the person.

I noticed that when I was growing up, girls was far more nasty and judgmental than boys was and boys was far more accepting with Deaf. Not all girls was like that, some was. All the bullies I had came from the girls, none of them came from the boys. Strange.

I find that the equal amount.

Recently I had two deaf people picking on me for not being deaf enough, and I just kept signing "stop, please stop" with a sad look, and just kept shrinking until I was almost non-existant.

They are just as bad. I already knew deaf people are capable doing that as hearing people. a deaf person (I believe it was Ridor) once told hearing people that if they are allowed to sprew out hateful things then he is too. And deaf people are not sweet and innocent and dumb as hearing people like them to be.

Last edited:
There are far too many rude people in the world. No excuse for it. I suspect that you'll encounter far more rude hearing people than deaf simply by virtue of there being a far larger population of hearing in the world. But I don't think there's a correlation between db loss and kindness. My kid is pretty sweet, though.

I know it , and people are usually nicer, that is not that common an occurance.
Just your post reminded me of it. Oh, well. The world isn't perfect yet.

:( not good. But let's work on fixing that!

Recently I had two rude hearing people and i kept smiling at them.

Yeah. Last month, in a mall, I talked kind of okay but a few strangers suggested me to drop ASL. :roll:

Bah. Of course, I told them off that it is my choice. :)

Yeah. Last month, in a mall, I talked kind of okay but a few strangers suggested me to drop ASL. :roll:

Bah. Of course, I told them off that it is my choice. :)

wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.

wow. the lady got pissy when i signed it and showed the note to her through the window that I wanted to buy the ticket for train. At first, She refuses to do something or make efforts or looking at the note. She kept shaking her head at me. Needless to say that I had to act a friendly and smile, and signed again and showed her the note. :rme: oh boy, She wasn't a happy camper.

Your story reminds me of someone refused to take an order from 'small' woman at mini market. :| Oh yay...

I had similar thing happened to me once when I was trying to get ticket for train to London. I wrote down I want returns tickets to London, I was polite in paper in case some people get annoyed easily. I said "Can I have returns tickets to London please? Thanks". This man refused to look at it and I keep pointing at it and queue was getting longer behind me and lucky man eventually looked at it in end!!

I had similar thing happened to me once when I was trying to get ticket for train to London. I wrote down I want returns tickets to London, I was polite in paper in case some people get annoyed easily. I said "Can I have returns tickets to London please? Thanks". This man refused to look at it and I keep pointing at it and queue was getting longer behind me and lucky man eventually looked at it in end!!

There are just people like that out there. The ones who believe "In America, please speak english only" to immigrants and signers. They are just the hard headed ones. Not much you can do than move on unless you wanna convert them. :|

Do you think that hearing people are less hostile to other hearing people who are blind or wheelchair-bound than deaf?

I feel that way a lot lately.

No, I don't think so...there are some hearing people who are hostile to people regardless if hearing, deaf, blind, wheelchair bound or other...they are truly equal opportunity hostile people.

There are just people like that out there. The ones who believe "In America, please speak english only" to immigrants and signers. They are just the hard headed ones. Not much you can do than move on unless you wanna convert them. :|

Yeah i agree. I just needed the ticket and had to deal with those rude people. :aw:

Well....there are immigrants that do speak English, but will act as if they don't undy or don't speak it....I've had many encounters like this!....Pissed me off, especially when I needed driving directions and the man was on his cell phone, speaking English....and he replied back to me "No speak English"...as my son heard him.....
I don't think I'm being "hard-headed" about it. Was a very rude encounter there.

Well....there are immigrants that do speak English, but will act as if they don't undy or don't speak it....I've had many encounters like this!....Pissed me off, especially when I needed driving directions and the man was on his cell phone, speaking English....and he replied back to me "No speak English"...as my son heard him.....
I don't think I'm being "hard-headed" about it. Was a very rude encounter there.

This is the exact same crappy attitude that a hearing person has when they demand that a deaf person speak instead of sign :roll:

First tell me which you are, so I know whether to tell you to take a flying leap or answer you nicely.

Actually, she has a point.

I can tell you first hand that I'm wheelchair bound, and, people go out of their way to be nice to me; even to the point of pitying me. It's called being FAKE and I can discern the difference between someone who is being genuine and someone who is not.

It may not happen a lot, but it does happen.

Why would you want to tell her to take a flying leap? She is entitled to her feelings based on her experiences.

Exactly, shel. I can also vouch for that kind of attitude she speaks (the part where she says people are sickenly sweet to me ( a wheechair user). It happens. People look at me like I'm defective and need to be pitied for my circumstances. It sucks. As a kid, I was blissfully (somewhat) unaware of it, but as I got older, it started to drive me nuts.

I think hearing people as a whole feel uncomfortable around D/deaf people because being able to hear is something that they cannot minutely begin to comprehend how they can live without. People are generally afraid of things they don't understand and, more often than not, react in a way that is not favourable. I know that there are some hearing people who genuinely do their best to understand, but this is not the majority.

I generally agree with this, but as I hearing person (and speaking solely of myself), it's more a momentary question of "OK, what adjustments do I need to make to communicate with this person?" I would be lying if I said I have never experienced that moment of discomfort between myself and a deaf person, but, I get over it. Then, I figure out what communication method works best for me and that other person (using the sign that I know, some fingerspelling, and, when all else fails pen/paper).

If it is not one excuse, there's always another. like "I don't know where it is"

people have asked me for directions to a well known attraction in my city, I know how to get there visually, but I just didn't know how to explain it. I don't even know the street names like turn left on "MAPLE STREET" and turn RIGHT on "OAK street", I just know how to get there by heart (because I grew up here). So what I do? I told them, "I don't know" I'm really saying, I don't know how to explain it to you--I'll probably make you even more lost. I also tell them "let me find someone else for you" if there someone with me.

Back