Can a person be profoundly deaf with residual hearing?

QuietlyAnointed

Reaction score
My doctor told me that my last hearing test indicated that I am profoundly deaf, however, I hear (barely) my own voice which sounds ver distorted, and I hear when the music begins and ends at church. I have no clue what they are saying but it sounds like a bad radio station.

I thought profoundly deaf means you cannot hear anything. I feel like I still have some hearing even if it is next to none.

No....

Profoundly deaf means totally deaf; unable to hear anything.

Is your doctor on crack? :roll:

If the church music is LOUD with alot of bass, you probably can hear the music in muffled. I could.

I can't hear my voice all that much but in a way I can. I think it is just the vibration I'm hearing.

My loss is in the profound range yet I can still hear some very loud noises without my CI. Total deafness is rare even among the profoundly deaf.

sometimes yes and sometimes no. See below.

Quantification of hearing loss

An audiologist conducting an audiometric hearing test in a sound-proof testing boothThe severity of a hearing impairment is ranked according to the loudness (measured in decibels (dB)) a sound must be before being detected by an individual. Hearing impairment may be ranked as mild, moderate, severe or profound as defined below:

Mild: for adults: between 25 and 40 dB
for children: between 20 and 40 dB
Moderate: between 41 and 55 dB
Moderately severe: between 56 and 70 dB
Severe: between 71 and 90 dB
Profound: 90 dB or greater
Source: Hearing impairment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

yes and no.

I was born profound deaf. I can't hear my own voice without hearing aid. But i can hear any dogs' barking that is too close to me or airplane fly over me that is close to me.

yes and no.

I was born profound deaf. I can't hear my own voice without hearing aid. But i can hear any dogs' barking that is too close to me or airplane fly over me that is close to me.
And there are also cases that are diagnosed as profound loss that are as deaf as a piece of wood. Can't hear anything.

Well, I think absolute ZERO hearing is pretty rare in the population.

And there are also cases that are diagnosed as profound loss that are as deaf as a piece of wood. Can't hear anything.

I know one deaf guy who can hear nothing. He says he has no ear bones anymore as they crumbled away years ago.

yes and no.

I'm like you. In order for me to hear loud sounds, it have to be close to me. But even with that, it can be kind muffled.

I was diagnosed with a severe to profound deafness but with HAs, I can hear environmental sounds and voices pretty well. :dunno:

When my HA comes off, it is complete utter silence.

Last edited:
yes and no.

My deafness is profund as well. can't hear planes but I can sometime hear people snap their fingers and I can hear a toilet flush.

I am one of the very rare and few total deaf. I had SNL all my life, but with another problems, I have no eardrums left, and am total deaf. I cannot hear anything. Not even the planes overhead, the loudest bass at church, or my children fighting with screams or yells.

The only sensation I get with my ears is sometimes an earache or sometimes pain. I can "hear" from memory music I have heard all along my life, but anything new that I haven't heard is beyond me. Right now, I have Pink Floyd's "The Wall" going round and round in my head, and I never liked rock music. That was my brother's thing. :giggle:

I've been profound and now I am legally deaf. I sing and still listen to music, just don't understand speech from songs I never herd before, and do hear people sometimes, but not often. My ears don't work, my brain does.

I've been profound and now I am legally deaf. I sing and still listen to music, just don't understand speech from songs I never herd before, and do hear people sometimes, but not often. My ears don't work, my brain does.

never been legally deaf in the past while you were profoundly deaf?

Interesting

I am one of the very rare and few total deaf. I had SNL all my life, but with another problems, I have no eardrums left, and am total deaf. I cannot hear anything. Not even the planes overhead, the loudest bass at church, or my children fighting with screams or yells.

The only sensation I get with my ears is sometimes an earache or sometimes pain. I can "hear" from memory music I have heard all along my life, but anything new that I haven't heard is beyond me. Right now, I have Pink Floyd's "The Wall" going round and round in my head, and I never liked rock music. That was my brother's thing. :giggle:

Can you hear with hearing aids?

Back