Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have noticed in some posts that there are some people who believe that all Deaf schools will shut down in the future. I would like to know your opinion if they should be shut down and why. If u dont want to state why, that's fine.

My opinion is no because there are so many children who do not get the education or their needs met in the public schools and if all Deaf schools were to be shut down, where would they go? Also, many deaf people would lose their jobs. By shutting down Deaf schools, many deaf people who are working, paying their taxes, not collecting SSI, and contributing to the economy will be without a job and you know how the job market is not that friendly to many deaf people by underpaying them or not promoting them.

I don't think deaf schools should be shut down. If I had gone to a deaf school growing up, I wouldn't be in this undesirable situation I am in now.

Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.

No, I don't think that the Deaf Schools should be shut down. I think it is unrealistic to think that the mainstream will ever be able to fully meet the needs of some deaf/Deaf students.

No, I don't think that the Deaf Schools should be shut down. I think it is unrealistic to think that the mainstream will ever be able to fully meet the needs of some deaf/Deaf students.
Yes but a deaf program in the home district would not be a mainstreamed program.

I voted no and agreed the same as what Shel90 said.

Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.

I voted not sure, because I don't want to say YES but I think we should strive for what Bottesini said. However, I do not think we should shut down deaf schools without a complete plan for programs for the deaf children in mainstream schools.

Yes but a deaf program in the home district would not be a mainstreamed program.

Self contained programs are considered to be mainstream programs. They are just not fully integrated programs.

I agree with Shel and I might add that here in So CA, for example, of the 500 students we have enrolled, there are 350 day students because parents have moved to our area (the rule is to live in a 25 mile or less radius from the school) so the students have the best of both worlds.

What typically happens at mainstream schools, at least here in CA, is that the local districts (called LEAs) are required by law to pay 10% to the State for the education of their district students who go to our school. Because these LEAs generally know nothing about deaf education, they are so reluctant to pay this 10% that they slap together a "program" for these students and oftentimes this is nothing more than putting the students in a regular classroom with an interpreter. And before you say, "Aha, but you have 450 students", let me point out 2 things: We have sophisticated and caring enough parents who have moved within the 25 mile radius of our school for their children to be day students and the remaining 100 or so day/residential students are from LEAs that "can't educate" them".

At the same time, our curriculum has vastly improved and so have the teachers we have hired the last several years. Even better is a new law that became effective over the summer which states: During intake at the LEAs, the LEAs MUST mention to parents about our school as a choice for their childrens' education. This new law should help our program in getting the more educable student, the "cream of the crop" so to speak and in a few years' time, we should have an astounding 7-800 students.

And just to indicate how much of a "sacred cow" deaf education in CA is, our 55 year old school is currently about 1/3 into rebuilding new buildings (looks like a war zone now) to the tune of approximately 200 million dollars.

Hehe, I only wrote this to entice Shel and some others here to apply at our school. :lol: J/K but hey, its a thought!

I agree with Shel and I might add that here in So CA, for example, of the 500 students we have enrolled, there are 350 day students because parents have moved to our area (the rule is to live in a 25 mile or less radius from the school) so the students have the best of both worlds.

What typically happens at mainstream schools, at least here in CA, is that the local districts (called LEAs) are required by law to pay 10% to the State for the education of their district students who go to our school. Because these LEAs generally know nothing about deaf education, they are so reluctant to pay this 10% that they slap together a "program" for these students and oftentimes this is nothing more than putting the students in a regular classroom with an interpreter. And before you say, "Aha, but you have 450 students", let me point out 2 things: We have sophisticated and caring enough parents who have moved within the 25 mile radius of our school for their children to be day students and the remaining 100 or so day/residential students are from LEAs that "can't educate" them".

At the same time, our curriculum has vastly improved and so have the teachers we have hired the last several years. Even better is a new law that became effective over the summer which states: During intake at the LEAs, the LEAs MUST mention to parents about our school as a choice for their childrens' education. This new law should help our program in getting the more educable student, the "cream of the crop" so to speak and in a few years' time, we should have an astounding 7-800 students.

And just to indicate how much of a "sacred cow" deaf education in CA is, our 55 year old school is currently about 1/3 into rebuilding new buildings (looks like a war zone now) to the tune of approximately 200 million dollars.

Hehe, I only wrote this to entice Shel and some others here to apply at our school. :lol: J/K but hey, its a thought!

Looking for a counselor?:giggle:

I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

I have more to say, but I want to think more carefully before I do. :)

I was a student at a residence school for the deaf though I never had to live at the school. The school wanted my parents to put me in the dorms so they could see more money coming in from the State, but they didn't want me to live at the school. I lived about 45 miles from the school, the daily commute was boring but it was worth it.

I used to believe all deaf schools should be closed, but I thought if every State will shut the dorms down and open regional day deaf schools, the children will be home with their families daily like hearing children do.

In many cases, the dorms are what makes it possible for children to receive full access to language/communication since many of their parents do not learn sign language and cant communicate with their children at all. Sure, in some cases, some children are better off at home with their families but in other cases some children are better off in the dorms. I know of a few students who are lucky to be in the dorms cuz where their family live are in the neighborhoods where violence is rampant (gangs, drugs, and etc).

It just depends on each individual. I do not propose drom life for all children which is why I encourage the families to be involved with their children's language needs, education and etch before I recommend dorm.

In many cases, the dorms are what makes it possible for children to receive full access to language/communication since many of their parents do not learn sign language and cant communicate with their children at all. Sure, in some cases, some children are better off at home with their families but in other cases some children are better off in the dorms. I know of a few students who are lucky to be in the dorms cuz where their family live are in the neighborhoods where violence is rampant (gangs, drugs, and etc).

It just depends on each individual. I do not propose drom life for all children which is why I encourage the families to be involved with their children's language needs, education and etch before I recommend dorm.

The problem with student residental facilities is that it encourages experiments in same-sex relationships.

The problem with student residental facilities is that it encourages experiments in same-sex relationships.

That would be illegal and if anyone is doing that, they should be fired and banned from working with children.

Is it GA school for the Deaf? If you don't want share it then that's fine or you can PM me.

You're the only one. I commuted to a school for the deaf on a daily basis too as well. With the daily traffic, it usually took around 50 to 70 minutes one way. Without traffic, easily 40 minutes or less if you speed.

That would be illegal and if anyone is doing that, they should be fired and banned from working with children.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant it encourages same-sex experimentation among the students.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant it encourages same-sex experimentation among the students.

Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.

Back