Snow trucks run at red lights

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if snow plows (either city owned or ODOT) have the right to run through red lights? Someone that I know had the right of way (lights were green) and as they try to turn, the snow plowers were coming from opposite side (five of them) going through red lights. City or DOT's law allow snow plow trucks run at red lights??? If accident to vehicle, they are responsible to pay for repairing vehicles. Right?

You live in Ohio for how long? If long enough, you should know that well. :-/

I would say..... they can't stop because if they did - they'll get stuck in snow so they gotta stay in motion :dunno:

I would say..... they can't stop because if they did - they'll get stuck in snow so they gotta stay in motion :dunno:

He is right/

I do plow snow. It really annoy when you need stop at red light then you find that you can't go anymore it just spin like nothing that waste time.

I do know in Missouri, there used to be signs out on billboards and posted on road sides and notices on TV, radio and TV websites that snowplows have the right of way and if in operation they are not bound by all of the traffic rules due to the need to get roads cleared. If you didn't know, it meant that you lived in a cave without going anywhere and you didn't need to know.

Snow plows are exempt because they need to have the speed in order to plow the snow.

Think of this, if your plowing and stop, and there is a pile of snow in front, then start to move again you wont move.

But if you back up then move forward and hit the pile it will move.

Snow plows are emergency vehicles because it is an emergency to plow snow in bad weather to prevent people from being stranded.

Don't they have flashing lights that function as warning lights?

Besides, even if the light is green... drivers still have to drive with caution in the snow.

Don't they have flashing lights that function as warning lights?

Besides, even if the light is green... drivers still have to drive with caution in the snow.

Yes they use orange strobe.

When it snow I alway watch make sure no plow truck come.

DGirl101 is right

here example in your Honda suv. You notice if you try stop in little mud you end stuck but if you keep moving in mud you won't get stuck until you stop in mud.
That what plow truck will do when there are snowpile push their truck to stop then they can't push without put in reverse roll about 5 feet then go forward again to push pile again.

I have no idea because there's no snow plow in south but did noticed when I lived in IL in years ago.

In south, when snow is coming so school will closed.

Recently we had some bad weather. So bad that the police broadcasted that anyone coming in or leaving town will be fined 1,000 dollars.

The reason for this is because the snowplows were not even out at the time, it was that bad.

These drivers are experienced in driving in nasty weather, and they have to keep on their toes at all times and always keep moving. They can't even stop for stranded vehicles because of the "keep moving or get stuck' motto.

They keep moving because it IS an EMERGENCY to move snow or drivers in vehicles will get stuck, or emergency vehicles will not be able to get anywheres.

VamPyroX

They have warning lights going at all times. They run the trucks they gotta have them on, not for their safety but for the drivers. They drive big trucks and it would demolish the little vehicles, not to mention those big plows in front of them and under them.

I seen them stop at the stop light or sign.

but then again, I never drove real early when they first plow. But I think they start plowing soon as it snow so they never have to be stuck in snow.

But 3 times, a snow plow PLOWED down my mailbox. tried to get the gov't to pay the damage but they wouldn't do it. So I had to pay my own mailbox. My first mailbox was a very expensive design with a lock and they plowed it down. yes, I saw it happen as we were excited about snow.

Believe me I know how you feel. They have done it to my mailbox two years in a row.

Only mailboxes....

One time i had snow all over my white car.... Couldnt get it out for a long while... :roll:

but then again, I never drove real early when they first plow. But I think they start plowing soon as it snow so they never have to be stuck in snow.

But 3 times, a snow plow PLOWED down my mailbox. tried to get the gov't to pay the damage but they wouldn't do it. So I had to pay my own mailbox. My first mailbox was a very expensive design with a lock and they plowed it down. yes, I saw it happen as we were excited about snow.

move it closer to your property

It means you will probably need go to court and has put snow plow in liability so they have pay your damage.

I know about how are you feeling so I noticed few brick mailboxes got crashed.

Here in my city, Snow emergency on the highway 24 hours and local every 4 hours.. City trucks using a yellow strobes in front and yellow LED flasher in the back and State trucks using yellow strobe in the front and blue strobe in the back for the highway only.

They use opticom signal (hidden) to hold green light to keep snowplow trucks and city buses in downtown go thru intersections. Except an emergency vehicles (opticom strobes) and light rail trains have a opticom signal (hidden) to activate white light flashing on every intersections.

Back