Suing a parent for back child support?

PhernettonN

Reaction score
So, I have a question...I am sure it's been asked before and if so, I apologize...please dont hate me for it.

I am 21 years old. My parents divorced when I was young and my father DID have a child support order, he was legally required to pay but never did. Is it possible for me to collect on this now that I am over 18? I am asking because he DID have the order to pay it back then, but I've read conflicting information and I can't find any really good sites that I feel are legit. on the matter.

Thanks in advance!

If your father have a order to paid then you are entitled to the money that he owe you!! You should find out first from the legal advice coz you might have to bring your dad to court to get all your money back..

Honestly, since your over 18 there isn't much you can do... I've been through the same situation that you have been through... My dad was a pain in the ass and wouldn't pay any child support for me and both of my sisters. He was ORDER by the judge to pay child support but never did and OWNED us over $700 in child support... When I was over 18 I still recived child support as long as your living with your parents or still in High School.. But the thing is We never got our $700 back but he did start paying child support finially... But is it worthed all the trouble to get the money from your dad who didn't care to pay child support to his own kids? I personally didn't bother it to get the $700 back because I asked a lawyer all about it she said it would be a hard case to fight all the money back and you can't aways think your going to get the money back asap.. Most of the time any parents who doesn't pay child support their asses are in jail for a certain amount of time... But if you do this I wish you all the luck!! Good luck in everything you do!!

Cassbugs is right..

so its like your dad got away from it.. you might not get it at all..

I hate that ... I didnt get any child support from 2nd daughter's dad.. and
my 2nd ex started finally paying last year... but its been on and off.. nothing you can do, I am not going to waste my time and hound him.. let the child support service do the work.. and.. let it haunt the dads or moms who didnt pay child support.. for life..

:) hang in there..

Not necessarily.... I really suggest you consult with an attorney on this matter, because it may be that the statute of limitations has not yet expired in your location. And, since it was an on-going contempt of court, there may be some serious legal action that could be taken against him. Please let us know if you are able to collect anything because I would be curious, as my daughter's father hasn't paid a penny in child support in the past 8 years. I have no intentions of collecting now, because he may then be inclined to have contact with my daughter and I believe that would be detrimental to her welfare. But, the moment she turns 18....well, that would be another story. Let us know.

PhernettonN said:
So, I have a question...I am sure it's been asked before and if so, I apologize...please dont hate me for it.

I am 21 years old. My parents divorced when I was young and my father DID have a child support order, he was legally required to pay but never did. Is it possible for me to collect on this now that I am over 18? I am asking because he DID have the order to pay it back then, but I've read conflicting information and I can't find any really good sites that I feel are legit. on the matter.

Thanks in advance!

If there was really an establishing on back in child support before you reached the age of 18, You can still collect child support, but the child support would have to go to the mother, not you. Why don't you go down to your local Child Support Enforcement with your case number or a court order number to find out more information about your father, and they can help you enforce the order by going to court. ;)

Back