Which is best dsl or cable?

web730 said:
To add .. remember that DSL has offers of vary speed and prices.

You need to pay telephone service thus DSL subscription both.

Cable subscription costs you both for tv and high speed Internet service.

I cut off telephone service. Still able to use vp with the same telephone numbers even (odd yet true) while use cable for both tv and high speed internet.

you said Cable subscription costs you both for tv and high speed Internet service. it is wrong, Time Warner and Cox Commucation Inc. can Cable Modem subscription without TV, it is Yes but extra cost months $5-$10 without TV

Exp:
only TV $40 and Internet $40 = $80 Months
only TV $40 months
only Internet $40 plus $10 = $50 months

FYI These phone numbers you see on VP have got absolutely NOTHING to do with phone company!!! The reason for phone number used on VP is that it makes alot easier for everybody to remember and use. In reality, when you dial a phone number in your VP, what did the device do at the moment you click ok? It calls the server at Sorenson (If Dlink VP, then it is Dlink's server) and ask for the IP address of this number then the server looks up the ip address in their database, if there is IP address associate with the phone number you requested, then they get you connected to THAT VP for u.

You can choose ANY phone number you want! You can even make up one as long as no one else gets it listed in Sorenson server (Dlink server for Dlink VP). Now you see why you can not use phone number from Sorenson VP to Dlink VP, they got seperate server, that is why they can't find the information you needed when calling other brand of VP. So again, it got NOTHING to do with phone company and that the Phone companies do NOT work for Sorenson, nor Dlink! It is just entirely seperate communication system. I don't know why people thinks it got to do with phone company.

I personally got three VP, and no phone line and I have all three seperate phone number made up by myself. And whenever I get annoying prank or harassmen t from somebody, I just simply go to set up and get in personal information and change the phone number and reboot the VP, Viola! that jerk stopped bothering me.

web730 said:
I cut off telephone service. Still able to use vp with the same telephone numbers even (odd yet true) while use cable for both tv and high speed internet.

For me 5 dollars extra for stand alone Roadrunner Internet.

Reality my area Time warner wants 45 dollars for RoadRunner, and if want to add CATV, then there is 5 dollars discount for RoadRunner.

I don't have CATV at all, I love DirecTV and ain't giving up DTV for 5 dollars discount, hell no!

Very true have to have phone service in order to get DSL, that is part of reason why I decided to go for RoadRunner... Roadrunner wants 59.95 for three WAN IP addresses (That is how I can have three VP), comparing to DSL wants 70 dollars a month for everything and only 1 IP address. I waited til right time when the deal was offered by Time Warner for 29.95 a month for 12 full months subscription to RoadRunner. So now it is over.

rhr said:
you said Cable subscription costs you both for tv and high speed Internet service. it is wrong, Time Warner and Cox Commucation Inc. can Cable Modem subscription without TV, it is Yes but extra cost months $5-$10 without TV

Exp:
only TV $40 months

Cable is definitely easier to set up and is much more reliable than DSL.

DSL uses your phone line, which, depending on where you live, could be used by many different phone companies. If something goes wrong, it could turn into a finger-pointing nightmare.

Cable's speed depends on how many people in your neighborhood are accessing the cable Internet at the moment. DSL can be faster than cable because you can get your own line, but it may interfere with your normal telephone service.

Coming from a networking class, these are some of the main points of each. Basically cable is easier and more reliable while DSL tends to be faster.

Neo said:
Umm. There is no best DSL or cable. It'S YOUR AREA!

Wireless is better than DSL and cable for speed and price.

10MB up/down and just $55 per month.
You DO mean cellular wireless and not WiFi, right? (and I don't mean phones either)

WiFi is a local (single-location) network while cellular is wide-area.

Neo said:

:werd:

PurrMeow said:
Oh well cant answer about DSL and cable. But I really wanna T1 so badly
Cable services exceed the speed of a T1. T1's are about a meg and a half where cable can reach speeds in excess of 4 meg and cost a hell of a lot less. You will pay around 5 or 6 hundred a month for a T1 depending on how far it is to the POP.

Neo said:
This is partially correct because depending on your provider, they should be segmenting the network to relieve congestion. This only applies to cable. DSL is not a shared bandwidh until you go beyond the CO. 10MB wireless. I have never heard of this. Are you talking about wifi or microwave or cellular or what??? Wireless is convient but by nature and by default, it is not secure. I would be interested to know more about this 10MB wireless you speak of.. Please advise.

rockdrummer said:
This is partially correct because depending on your provider, they should be segmenting the network to relieve congestion. This only applies to cable. DSL is not a shared bandwidh until you go beyond the CO. 10MB wireless. I have never heard of this. Are you talking about wifi or microwave or cellular or what??? Wireless is convient but by nature and by default, it is not secure. I would be interested to know more about this 10MB wireless you speak of.. Please advise.

You should know about wireless because I live near Chicago.

ideafspy said:
Mean that you have one more than 5 computers? Just wonder.

Okay. T1 is business only. T1 is not really faster than DSL and CABLE.
My workplace have T1 and more than 100 computers and internet speed still slow to me because traffic.

I use SBC (AT&T) DSL and 5 computers (My desktop, my laptop, my bros's desktop, my father's desktop, and my computer server.) So No problem with DSL. My bro and I play game online and still smooth.

rhr said:

Exp:
only TV $40 months

You can't tell anyone about price because almost all state are not same price.

diehardbiker65 said:
For me 5 dollars extra for stand alone Roadrunner Internet.

Reality my area Time warner wants 45 dollars for RoadRunner, and if want to add CATV, then there is 5 dollars discount for RoadRunner.

I don't have CATV at all, I love DirecTV and ain't giving up DTV for 5 dollars discount, hell no!

Very true have to have phone service in order to get DSL, that is part of reason why I decided to go for RoadRunner... Roadrunner wants 59.95 for three WAN IP addresses (That is how I can have three VP), comparing to DSL wants 70 dollars a month for everything and only 1 IP address. I waited til right time when the deal was offered by Time Warner for 29.95 a month for 12 full months subscription to RoadRunner. So now it is over.

Yes, Of Coruse, my member is cox commucation months $74.95, that $5 discount off

who have WOW (Wide Open West) at only Ohio and Michigan
http://www1.wowway.com/
they are very cheap and free three IP Address!!! that my friends have both SorensonVRS VP-100 and DLink

gnulinuxman said:
You DO mean cellular wireless and not WiFi, right? (and I don't mean phones either)

WiFi is a local (single-location) network while cellular is wide-area.

yes, correct but Wireless is limit miles
if 10mbips, must near ISP service up to 5 miles will work speed up to 10mbips, if 20 miles to Service, they will low about up to 5mbips, if over 30 miles, up to 1mbips

DSL is limit too, up to 20,000 feet will fast, over 20,000 feets will very slow

Cable is very fast any miles! but some town don't have service
Cox Commcation is city only but east have many state

DSL is limit wire only two
choose two - Phone, DSL or TV
if three, must two phone number

Cable is ANY!!! ANY MULTI each ONE cable
Internet, Phone, TV, On Demand, more future becuase cable is Fiber (EMI) same Multi Network

DSL's cable only limit up to 10mbips
Cable is any very fast 25mbips, 1000mbips, etc.. becuase they have Fiber (EMI) becuase you know Analog Channel same time fast 1 to 99 channels!

rhr said:
Yes, Of Coruse, my member is cox commucation months $74.95, that $5 discount off

who have WOW (Wide Open West) at only Ohio and Michigan
http://www1.wowway.com/
they are very cheap and free three IP Address!!! that my friends have both SorensonVRS VP-100 and DLink

Are you sure? I rememeber my old coworker's friend have WOW cable and he live in Westmont,IL.

Neo said:
Are you sure? I rememeber my old coworker's friend have WOW cable and he live in Westmont,IL.

I don't know WOW have state, they only east
I am sure about 3 ip address are free that my friends live california, he moved to Ohio for job, he use two VP same time one for Living (upstair), one for office (downstair)
he give me two number like (123) 123-1234 (real) and he idea another (123) 123-1235 (not real) I test call to him 1234 then 1235 work that he have three ip address!!! he use HUB only not router

rhr said:
DSL is limit wire only two
choose two - Phone, DSL or TV
if three, must two phone number

What about a router that has 4 or 8 ports for DSL? I am not sure about that.

Neo said:
HA, I knew I said "wireless" and everyone think i talk about "wifi"
Nope. Here a link. Time to learn for you.http://www.dls.net/services/wireless.phtmlYou have behind a high-tech.
I wasn't sure what you were talking about which is why I asked. Based on the link, the answer to my question is "microwave" This is microwave wireless which requires line of site between the antennas. They only guarantee 256kbs throughput and there are many environmental conditions that will affect signal quality and performance including wind, rain, and anything that obstructs the line of sight between the antennas. 10MB throughput is one of the many offerings but again they will only guarantee 256kbs speeds. Obviouisly for the reasons of the environmental conditions. Thanks for the info.

Back