Re-defining Deaf - Movie

Mrs Bucket

Reaction score
This metaphysical thinking film draws on the work of cultural studies theorist Stuart Hall in effort to examine the nature of representation and ideology. The goal is for the Deaf community to understand "how we got here" and what we can do about it by seizing control of the media as a means of putting forth a different representation of what it means to be d/Deaf.

Re-defining Deaf

1880... 2008. That's 128 years of advocacy and activism by the Deaf community in USA. Ever since the National Association of the Deaf was founded, Deaf people fought for the right to "just be." Today we have closed captioning, interpreting agencies, video relay service -- auxiliary services. The fundamental question remains: Are Deaf people respected as human beings?

How many deaf people continue to depend on Supplemental Security Income (SSI or SSDI)? How many deaf people are fluent in American Sign Language and English? Deafness and sign language are a multi-million dollar industry; how many of those dollars go to deaf people themselves?

clipfrommovie.gif

The answers are clear. Deaf people continue to be viewed and treated as second-class citizens or worse in this country and abroad.

To fix this problem, we need to use a medium that has proven to be a powerful mechanism in the transformation of perceptions and interpretations of the world: film.

This film draws on the work of cultural studies theorist Stuart Hall in effort to examine the nature of representation and ideology. The goal is for the Deaf community to understand "how we got here" and what we can do about it by seizing control of the media as a means of putting forth a different representation of what it means to be d/Deaf.
Synopsis from Re-defining Deaf.

This supports my belief why we should introduce all literature that speaks about audism; directly or indirectly.

I saw this before, but it seems like we haven't done this yet through media.

I watched it a few times in the past. Very thought provoking, and his call to action is important. I am trying to do my part by writing stories that redefine how audiences think of deafness. Now, if I just had an audience...

I watched it a few times in the past. Very thought provoking, and his call to action is important. I am trying to do my part by writing stories that redefine how audiences think of deafness. Now, if I just had an audience...

You can post it here. We would read it.

You can post it here. We would read it.

I'll post some of my stories one day, but not until I have them published and copyrighted. This forum is way too public, and we all know how many hearing writers come through asking about how to write a deaf character. Imagine one comes through and finds my story: ("Oh, how convenient, I'll just copy this guy, change a few words and characters and slap my name onto it without doing any of my own research or personal discovery because I'm an appropriating, stereotyping jerkwad)

I'll post some of my stories one day, but not until I have them published and copyrighted. This forum is way too public, and we all know how many hearing writers come through asking about how to write a deaf character. Imagine one comes through and finds my story: ("Oh, how convenient, I'll just copy this guy, change a few words and characters and slap my name onto it without doing any of my own research or personal discovery because I'm an appropriating, stereotyping jerkwad)

Have you considered setting up a private group here in this AD community?

You could set up a members group and control who you invite & set the privacy options with a password.

Just sharing this info with you.

Have you considered setting up a private group here in this AD community?

You could set up a members group and control who you invite & set the privacy options with a password.

Just sharing this info with you.

Not a bad idea, but then I have to worry about you schmoes stealing my work. :D

Who, us?

No, never!!

souggy's correct.

I am genuine in my comment about you setting up a secure AD member group here & we could read your work.

I found this profound and deeply moving. And it has helped to change my own stereotypes of what deafness means. Thank you!

Not really funny. I joined a supposedly "safe" online writing group.

Plagiarism is a bitch.

I wasn't intending to make it seem like I thought it was a funny suggestion. I was trying to convery that I was making a funny comment that we would never steal his work. My father was a writer and I know where he is coming from. I apologize if it was taken wrong and I try to figure out how I am supposed to get my point and thoughts across a little better.

Maybe I'll just stop totally!!

I wasn't intending to make it seem like I thought it was a funny suggestion. I was trying to convery that I was making a funny comment that we would never steal his work. My father was a writer and I know where he is coming from. I apologize if it was taken wrong and I try to figure out how I am supposed to get my point and thoughts across a little better.

Maybe I'll just stop totally!!

:laugh2: at you guys. Everyone relax. I am planning to share my work with AD in due time, don't worry. But the time is not right yet. I am still working on the first draft of a collection of short stories. By this time next year, I will have a full book, and I will be looking for feedback from all of you to help me make it better and an important document in bridging the hearing and Deaf worlds.

Back