My thoughts on Deaf Education

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrzyMeg

Reaction score
:wave:

Hey just my thoughts. Probably mostly rant. Forgive me. But what i learn recently and from my personal experiences. I believe deaf people can raise up to the challenge to higher level standard of education if they put themselves to do it. True it is hard work. From my experience, my two hearing siblings were jealous of me why because they thought i had it easy when i was in mainstream school. I told them no. It isnt that easy. I had note takers, interpreters, closed captions for movies or shows that required for our assignments. It is not easy of course but in my mind and parents behind me supporting me that telling me that i can do it. What the point of us saying that DEAF CAN DO ANYTHING BUT HEAR?! If you say that, then why not set up goal that you think that it is so impossible to achieve and work toward that goal. When i went to Deaf Institute i usually hate English Literature myself and English but when i went to mainstream school. They surprises me so much. I love English Literature than i love math. I read books that i thought i couldnt read. I learn new vocabulary everyday. It is challenges. if you fail, try again. Fail and try again. That what i keep saying myself. I learn that when deaf grauate with elementary reading level plus for math only algreba understanding but couldnt get pass to geometry or higher level math. When i left Deaf institute, i was tested for reading level it wast level 1 plus for math i was on college level. I was suprise myself for math part. I knew so much math. But then i have my parents help me with my reading level which i manage to get it to high school level at my senior year at high school. It took me 7 years to do that. it is challenges for us. if you want something that badly then do it. Just dont tell me if you can do anything but hear. Because my thoughts on that, if you want to to achieve the impossible goal, then work on it. I know few that achieve it. Excuse my rambling about this. I just want you to think that all. if you are hearing parents, sending deaf child to deaf institute. Excuse for this saying. i have hearing family. they thought i would be good at Deaf institute but they didnt know that i have so much potential in mainstream school. I understand deaf culture and such but still. No excuse for lower education level for us. If hearing people can do it, then we can do it too. Thanks for listening to my rambling but if you have anything to say what i said. i will happy to respond it tonight. Cheers.

Hey Meg. From mainstream and my parents help, I have a very high reading and writing level. But I have to tell you my math skills are pretty much only adding and subtracting...

Please clean up your written statement and grammar, especially if you want to convey your apparent intelligence to a bunch of people on the Internet :) But, uh, kudos to you overcoming your challenges.

Please clean up your written statement and grammar, especially if you want to convey your apparent intelligence to a bunch of people on the Internet :) But, uh, kudos to you overcoming your challenges.

You too, Sheila.

:nono:

Where does that sense of superiority come from?:cool2:

Hey Meg. From mainstream and my parents help, I have a very high reading and writing level. But I have to tell you my math skills are pretty much only adding and subtracting...
That i understand. I just frusated about one thing. If i am good in math and i am not that good in reading then i should work on it like as improving it. Instead of just achieve one and not the other. Like Most of us could do math and not so do well in reading and some of others not do so well in math but so good in reading. My point is, why not challenge yourselves to go what you wanted to go or chooses not to?

Look Sheila i aint perfect in grammar and such. But if you could understand me then you should be fine. But if you say clean up your written statement that sound like grammar critic.

People, stop tell people that their grammars sucks. It not mature way. Grow up.

RE: Sheila the Stickler

If you're such a stickler for grammar maybe you shouldn't be on a forum. I believe freedom of speech covers bad grammar too! I'm sure my grammar is far better then yours if you want to put it to a test.

Either way a lot of well educated people don't use proper grammar or punctuation. It doesn't make them less of a person and doesn't qualify them as lazy either.

So really? :gives:

If you're such a stickler for grammar maybe you shouldn't be on a forum. I believe freedom of speech covers bad grammar too! I'm sure my grammar is far better then yours if you want to put it to a test.

Either way a lot of well education people don't use proper grammar or punctuation. It doesn't make them less of a person and doesn't qualify them as lazy either.

So really? :gives:

I would be surprise if someone say that we do our grammar incorrectly make us qualify for laziness.

:nono:

Where does that sense of superiority come from?:cool2:

No kidding!

Nobody on the forum is in a position to criticise one for their grammar. I, for one, have difficulty with grammar, sentence structure, and, punctuation. However, I do the best I can.

Being critical of someone just shows a lack of empathy; especially on a forum such as this. After all, none of us are presenting a college thesis here.

It would have been better to request that the op's post be broken into paragraphs than to comment on grammar.

It would have been better to request that the op's post be broken into paragraphs than to comment on grammar.

Actually JClarke told me how to do that after I got here. So I was pretty old before I learned that.

Meg has a good point that we can all work on our lacking skills. But I do think it is far to late for me to ever learn more than basic math.

Actually JClarke told me how to do that after I got here. So I was pretty old before I learned that.

Meg has a good point that we can all work on our lacking skills. But I do think it is far to late for me to ever learn more than basic math.

Technically it is never too late. I told my father that it is never too late to learn sign language. he is going deaf.

Sheila,

If you took the time to read through the OP, Meg clearly says that she faces all her challenges. Reading and grammatical structure in English is not her strong point so she is still working at it. Her achievement of college level math is what should be commended. I also am a stickler for correct spelling and grammar however I am my own critic. It is only proper to show empathy where it is due. I commend Meg for her efforts in striving for the best in everything.

Sheila,

If you took the time to read through the OP, Meg clearly says that she faces all her challenges. Reading and grammatical structure in English is not her strong point so she is still working at it. Her achievement of college level math is what should be commended. I also am a stickler for correct spelling and grammar however I am my own critic. It is only proper to show empathy where it is due. I commend Meg for her efforts in striving for the best in everything.

Amen!

My ASL is not as great as a native user so Sheila, if you are trying to perfect your skills at a language, does it help when you get criticized harsly?

:hmm: you have a point there.

Sheila,

I, too, am my own worst critic. Therefore, I try never to judge others for the way they write or express themselves. If I can read it, it's good enough for me. Sentence structure and grammar is something that is learned early on. If there was gaps in the learning, there will be gaps in the comprehension. Regardless of cause, though, it should never be criticised; especially on a INFORMAL forum, for pete's sake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back