4 wheel drive problems

another message from The Disgusting Man

mind you - use the proper lubricant. WD-40 isn't a lubricant. :)

Thanks for the replys. But the 4x4 is now the least of my problems. There is a vacumm in the coolant system that is sucking the coolant into the engine. Ugg this Jeep has been one thing after another. I am going to sell it and try to get enough money to buy something else. Now I see why people say to stay away from Grand Cherokees. I'm going to go back to a Wrangler.

Thanks for the replys. But the 4x4 is now the least of my problems. There is a vacumm in the coolant system that is sucking the coolant into the engine. Ugg this Jeep has been one thing after another. I am going to sell it and try to get enough money to buy something else. Now I see why people say to stay away from Grand Cherokees. I'm going to go back to a Wrangler.

I believe you have bad gasket.

Yes, Grand Cherokees have a lot issue from 90's.

Also, Stay away from 4x4 and get a AWD. Someone own Wrangler and their 4x4 have issue.

I believe you have bad gasket.

Also, Stay away from 4x4 and get a AWD. Someone own Wrangler and their 4x4 have issue.

I use to own a 94 wrangler and I abused the hell out of it. 4 wheeling, jumping, and slamming through snow. It never gave me a problem.

I am going to look at AWD cars first though. I have never owned or driven one so I don't really know what is good or not. Any suggestions on were to start looking. My max money will prolly be around 5 grand.

I use to own a 94 wrangler and I abused the hell out of it. 4 wheeling, jumping, and slamming through snow. It never gave me a problem.

I am going to look at AWD cars first though. I have never owned or driven one so I don't really know what is good or not. Any suggestions on were to start looking. My max money will prolly be around 5 grand.

I did same thing with AWD and no problem so far.

Try cars.com, craigslist, ebay, etc.

Nothing to wrong with Subaru AWD for any models but stay away from 1998-2001 due head gasket issue. Subaru's parts is very cheap than other brand. I dunno about your taste.

Including 2000's too, Grand Cherokee isn't as reliable as I was hoping for. I was waiting to see if Chrysler decided to improve Grand Cherokee. The only Jeep that I know is downright reliable is Cherokee (Not Grand Cherokee) and Wranglers. The rest sucks.

Yup, Wrangler were built to take abuses from off road, depending on which version (SE, X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon). SE, and X may tolerate but not as to degree that Sport and higher can take.

To be honest - I have to disagree with many of the things I am reading in this thread.

Grand Cherokees are reliable... They have the same motor the wranglers/cherokees do, so all this talk isn't making sense to me.

So, Andy - if the coolant is in the motor and you're willing to salvage it for cheap, I'll take it off your hands.

One question though, when you check the oil, what color is it? black, brown, normal oil color, or chocolate milk?

Exhaust having some WHITE smoke? Blue smoke?

To be honest - I have to disagree with many of the things I am reading in this thread.

Grand Cherokees are reliable... They have the same motor the wranglers/cherokees do, so all this talk isn't making sense to me.

So, Andy - if the coolant is in the motor and you're willing to salvage it for cheap, I'll take it off your hands.

One question though, when you check the oil, what color is it? black, brown, normal oil color, or chocolate milk?

Exhaust having some WHITE smoke? Blue smoke?

Umm.. Most Grand Cherokees are L5.2 V8 engine and most wranglers are L4.0 I6 engine. How to be same? I never heard of Wrangler have V8 engine from factory.

Grand Cherokees are reliable? Go research again, I seem they have many problems like water pump, cv joint, axle, fuel injector, fuel pump, etc and it was only 70k miles on (98 I think.) from real world.

Umm.. Most Grand Cherokees are L5.2 V8 engine and most wranglers are L4.0 I6 engine. How to be same? I never heard of Wrangler have V8 engine from factory.

Grand Cherokees are reliable? Go research again, I seem they have many problems like water pump, cv joint, axle, fuel injector, fuel pump, etc and it was only 70k miles on (98 I think.) from real world.

I have extensive experience with grand cherokees. Grew up with them.

The OP has a 1999.. He doesn't have a 5.2l v8. :)

The 4.0 is used throughout these years. The 4.0 is pretty popular because its an inline 6, and it provides 190-200 horsepower, while the v8 provides 225. The trade off for gas mileage has people leaning towards the i6.

lol research? I think you should step aside and let real Jeep guys do the talking.

And I currently drive a grand cherokee that is nearing 300,000 miles. My friend has a grand cherokee that is almost 300,000 miles too. No issues at all either.

lol research? I think you should step aside and let real Jeep guys do the talking.

Real jeep guys said Wrangler same engine as Grand cherokee like L5.2 V8? I don't believe that.

Don't tell me you do believe him? :roll:

I have extensive experience with grand cherokees. Grew up with them.

The OP has a 1999.. He doesn't have a 5.2l v8. :)

The 4.0 is used throughout these years. The 4.0 is pretty popular because its an inline 6, and it provides 190-200 horsepower, while the v8 provides 225. The trade off for gas mileage has people leaning towards the i6.

I6 is not popular anymore. I don't see any newer Jeep with I6. They are I4, V6, and V8. That's it.

Real jeep guys said Wrangler same engine as Grand cherokee like L5.2 V8? I don't believe that.

Don't tell me you do believe him? :roll:

First: Most of them have the 4.0. Similar transmissions, transfer cases, etc.. Let's not forget the 2.5l motor as well.. :aw:

Second: 1999 and on has the 4.7l v8.

Third: A lot of offroading people swap the 5.2 liter v8 to the wranglers.

Back