What are some good movies with deaf characters/about deaf culture?

"And Your Name is Jonah" a 70s movie starring Sally Struthers as the mother. Excellent movie.

Just checked both my libraries online for that, and neither has it. Darn!

My lecturer recommended to my class to watch "My Song" on youtube (if you type "my song sign language" it brings it up) - it's beautiful and sad. a 25min movie about a HOH girl who feels unaccepted both in the hearing and deaf world. (in BSL)

I was also recommended to watch Quiet Signs of Love (auslan) about a hearing boy and a deaf girl in love... So far there is 2 eps (I've only watched the 1st one) and it's beautiful!

Just checked both my libraries online for that, and neither has it. Darn!

You can buy the movie. It was a movie made for TV in 1979 I just checked it out on line. Your library may buy it if they have enough people asking for it.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/And-Your-Name-Is-Jonah/dp/B002BTRCUO]Amazon.com: And Your Name Is Jonah: Sally Struthers, James Woods, Randee Heller, Titos Vandis: Instant Video[/ame]
My sister heard of a case like this, it was girl that the doctors said was retarded and her parents put her in a ward .Someone finally realize the girl was deaf!! WTF is wrong with people!

You can buy the movie. It was a movie made for TV in 1979 I just checked it out on line. Your library may buy it if they have enough people asking for it.
Amazon.com: And Your Name Is Jonah: Sally Struthers, James Woods, Randee Heller, Titos Vandis: Instant Video
My sister heard of a case like this, it was girl that the doctors said was retarded and her parents put her in a ward .Someone finally realize the girl was deaf!! WTF is wrong with people!

I do not buy very many movies. I get the majority from the library. I only buy specific ones that are for the family.

I also do not subscribe to NetFlix or use the crappy RedBox stuff. Money being very tight and in a tight budget to allow us to get our own home, dictates that I not buy any movies, books or such.

Beyond Silence is a fantastic German film (English subtitles) about the young hearing daughter of deaf parents. When her aunt gives her a clarinet she finds that she has a talent for it and this eventually causes some issues with her parents. The actors portraying the parents are themselves deaf, one German and one French. Netflix has it on DVD. I don't know other sources.

Yeah, being on a tight budget is NOT fun. Hopefully, you can find a way to get to see it. I just watched it (referring to: And Your Name is Jonah) last evening. Tears were running down my cheeks at the end when Jonah finally was taught how to sign.

There's other one but I don't want people to view it as the Oralism only-AG Bell stuff as what I was feeling some sorts of it from my own view in this movie. But well...it depends on what your perspective in this movie.

Amy (1981)

Amy (1981) - IMDb

My lecturer recommended to my class to watch "My Song" on youtube (if you type "my song sign language" it brings it up) - it's beautiful and sad. a 25min movie about a HOH girl who feels unaccepted both in the hearing and deaf world. (in BSL)

I was also recommended to watch Quiet Signs of Love (auslan) about a hearing boy and a deaf girl in love... So far there is 2 eps (I've only watched the 1st one) and it's beautiful!

I can recommend both of these short films. Just watched 'Quiet Signs of Love' this evening (here's a link to Vimeo Quiet Signs of Love on Vimeo)

I posted a link to 'My Song' on another thread here on AD --->http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-ou...y-girl-stuck-between-hearing-deaf-worlds.html

Switched at birth! I watched it a few weeks ago. It's short but good. I highly recommend it. =D

"Mr. Holland" came out back in 1995 when I was just 18 years old. Let me say that I had a MAJOR crush on teenage Cole. I don't know what happened to the actor that played him (Joseph Anderson i think it was, or something like that). He seemed to drop out of existance cuz I haven't seen or heard anything from him since.

Today I take nephews see Smurfs movie...advertise Spy Kids movie...boy in it wear hearing aids. Nephews think very cool!

Hello,
I am a student Filmmaker currently working on my junior production. The main character is a deaf spy. I was hoping someone could help me out and give me some ideas of how a deaf person might use their heightened senses to help them navigate through an apartment in which they where trying to gather information from. Thank you!

Mosduex- The Deaf Family

you can watch it on youtube:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1uuntQOPnw[/ame]

If you have money to buy DVD movies, try this: ASL Films and there are several movies with all deaf casts. My favorite is "Wrong Game". I am planning on getting "Black Sand" and "Gerald". The latest one "Versa Effect" looks interesting.

Back