The benefits of Lemon Water

About Dr. Reams and Lemons

From a Reams practitioner on lemon:

Lemons are the only food which are purely anionic. The catch is that this is only true of fresh lemons.

After about 30 minutes of exposure to air (oxygen), lemon juice becomes cationic. The confusion comes when one thinks in terms of acid and alkaline. Lemon juice would always be thought of as acid, but, while fresh, is anionic (which corresponds to alkaline). If you had an acid urine pH and you used Dr. Reams' lemon/water drink as he suggested, your pH would become more alkaline. This seems illogical when you think of lemon juice as acidic. But it's not, its anionic. In addition to fresh lemon juice, the only other thing that is purely anionic is pure calcium.

To explain anionic and cationic... an ion is a molecule with an electric charge. An anion contains the smallest amount of energy known to man. One anion will contain from 1 to 499 Milhouse units of energy. It is a negative charged ion. Anionic corresponds to alkaline. Its electrons orbit around the nucleus in a clockwise direction.

A cation corresponds to acid. One cation will contain from 500 to 999 Milhouse units of energy. It is a positive charged ion. Its electrons orbit in a counter-clockwise direction. When a cation gains more than 999 Milhouse units of energy, it splits into two anions.

According to Reams, the key issue here concerns our digestive process. The gastric juice produced by the liver is anionic. All foods (except fresh lemons) are a varying mixture of cationic and anionic. When the anionic gastric juices come into contact with cationic foods, the two ions react to each other, much like vinegar and baking soda, and energy is released to be used by the body. Let me quote from Dr. Reams, ''We do not live off the food we eat, we live off the energy from the food we eat. The anion rotates in a clockwise direction. The cation in a counter-clockwise direction. Resistance is created when these two moving forces, rotating in opposite directions, collide. The measure of the resistance, in chemistry, is called ''pH''. When a person gets sick, there are not enough anionic substances present to supply the energy he needs from the cationic foods eaten.'' Add to that the issue of the foods being demineralized, and the problem becomes more serious.

I don't understand. Anions are negatively charged. Example: I- (iodide), Cl- (chloride). In our stomachs are HCl = H+ and Cl- = hydrochloric acid = one positively charged and one negatively charged. pH is measurement of H+ = hydrogen cation. pH is not "measure of the resistance". High pH is alkaline (little H+) and low pH is acid (lot of H+). If you have stomach acid you have HCl and both negative and positive charge in HCl. Not all sickness makes less stomach acid. The blood pH is 7.4 +/- 0.1. Change more than 0.1 means very sick or dead.

:confused:

You are correct in what you have said. However the blood itself
has to be "slightly" alkaline ph for maximum health. PH neutral
is positive 7 as you know. (Why silly scientists did that instead
of 0 I don't know) If your blood 7.35 it is too acid for good health
If your blood is 7.4 ph that is considered normal. If is 7.45 it is too acid.

Read this persons comment on ph and then read what I have to say.

." But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists "

This is theory and does not work in real life. This was written by a well
educated doctor who says anyone that believes different does not
understand biology.

Well I have studied many doctors views on this and many dieticians
views and they are about equally divided on the issue. Think about
this though If you supposedly can not change your blood ph by
what you eat, if the body maintains it no matter what, then why
would they bother to check your ph as a sign of wellness or
illness? Your ph can vary on either side of acid or alkaline
very slightly. And what you eat can affect it. The reasons
for it being affected my not be accurate. I think the reason
you can vary ph with food is because the protiens in your
food affect your amino acid pool which then affects what
critters, germs, bacteria and viruses, can gain a foot hold.
And they in turn will affect your ph levels. So you see both
sides are using science to promote their viewpoint when
the reasons may lie elsewhere. You can change your ph
(slightly) by what you eat and drink. How or why this
occurs is unclear in the scientific community.

I have heard many nutritionists state that taking individual
amino acids can not improve health related problems because
of the "amino acid pool". This is patently untrue and I have
saved my own mothers life with "amino acid therapies"

I hope I explained clearly. Please, please ask for clarification
on anything I said if I was unclear.

I like to drink water with lemon...yum! My mom is allergic to curtis (sp) fruits (such as lemon, oranges etc) so she sometimes give me her lemon. :)

You are correct in what you have said. However the blood itself
has to be "slightly" alkaline ph for maximum health. PH neutral
is positive 7 as you know. (Why silly scientists did that instead
of 0 I don't know) If your blood 7.35 it is too acid for good health
If your blood is 7.4 ph that is considered normal. If is 7.45 it is too acid.

Normal blood pH has a range from 7.35 to 7.45, not just 7.40 exactly.

From Nursing: "pH (normal range, 7.35 to 7.45). - Normally, blood pH is slightly alkaline, with a normal range of 7.35 to 7.45."

From MedLinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: "The pH in blood is maintained within the narrow range of 7.35 to 7.45."

From Merck: "A pH of 7.0, in the middle of this scale, is neutral. Blood is normally slightly basic, with a pH range of 7.35 to 7.45. To function properly, the body maintains the pH of blood close to 7.4."

." But your blood never becomes acidic because as soon as the proteins are converted to organic acids, calcium leaves your bones to neutralize the acid and prevent any change in pH. Because of this, many scientists "

This is theory and does not work in real life. This was written by a well
educated doctor who says anyone that believes different does not
understand biology.

I agree the theory is wrong. The big blood buffers are carbonic acid from dissolved carbon dioxide and bicarbonate, not calcium.

From Merck: "Yet another mechanism for controlling blood pH involves the use of buffer systems, which guard against sudden shifts in acidity and alkalinity. The pH buffer systems are combinations of a weak acid and weak base that exist in balance under normal pH conditions. The pH buffer systems work chemically to minimize changes in the pH of a solution by adjusting the proportion of acid and base. The most important pH buffer system in the blood involves carbonic acid (a weak acid formed from the carbon dioxide dissolved in blood) and bicarbonate ions (the corresponding weak base)."

Also the body control of pH is mainly lungs (blow CO2) and urine, not bone.

From Wikipedia: "Together with the lungs, the kidneys are major players in the regulation of acid-base homeostasis. Because the pH of the blood is determined in large part by the levels of carbon dioxide and bicarbonate in the blood, control of acid-base balance is achieved by regulating the blood levels of these compounds. The lung contributes to carbon dioxide balance, while the kidney regulates bicarbonate levels. Whereas carbon dioxide levels can be rapidly adjusted by changing respiratory rate, adjusting bicarbonate concentration is more time-intensive. Thus the lung contributes to short-term regulation, while the kidneys contribute to long-term regulation of acid-base balance."

Well I have studied many doctors views on this and many dieticians views and they are about equally divided on the issue. Think about this though If you supposedly can not change your blood ph by
what you eat, if the body maintains it no matter what, then why
would they bother to check your ph as a sign of wellness or
illness?

pH needs check because variation with illness. If you can't breath you can't blow CO2 = more acid and pH below 7.35. Diabetes can get diabetic ketoacidosis = pH below 7.35. Kidney failure patients can be acidic because the blood isn't buffered.

Your ph can vary on either side of acid or alkaline
very slightly. And what you eat can affect it. The reasons
for it being affected my not be accurate.
I think the reason you can vary ph with food is because the protiens in your
food affect your amino acid pool which then affects what
critters, germs, bacteria and viruses, can gain a foot hold.
And they in turn will affect your ph levels. So you see both
sides are using science to promote their viewpoint when
the reasons may lie elsewhere. You can change your ph
(slightly) by what you eat and drink. How or why this
occurs is unclear in the scientific community.

I have heard many nutritionists state that taking individual
amino acids can not improve health related problems because
of the "amino acid pool". This is patently untrue and I have
saved my own mothers life with "amino acid therapies"

I hope I explained clearly. Please, please ask for clarification
on anything I said if I was unclear.

pH for amino acid varies. Basic amino acid group is neutral, a zwitterion. Functional group makes each amino acid different and changes pH = different isoelectric group.

From Chemguide: "The pH at which this lack of movement during electrophoresis happens is known as the isoelectric point of the amino acid. This pH varies from amino acid to amino acid."

From About.Com Chemistry: "Nonpolar Side Chains
There are eight amino acids with nonpolar side chains. Glycine, alanine, and proline have small, nonpolar side chains and are all weakly hydrophobic. Phenylalanine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, and methionine have larger side chains and are more strongly hydrophobic.

Polar, Uncharged Side Chains
There are also eight amino acids with polar, uncharged side chains. Serine and threonine have hydroxyl groups. Asparagine and glutamine have amide groups. Histidine and tryptophan have heterocyclic aromatic amine side chains. Cysteine has a sulfhydryl group. Tyrosine has a phenolic side chain. The sulfhydryl group of cysteine, phenolic hydroxyl group of tyrosine, and imidazole group of histidine all show some degree of pH-dependent ionization.

Charged Side Chains
There are four amino acids with charged side chains. Aspartic acid and glutamic acid have carboxyl groups on their side chains. Each acid is fully ionized at pH 7.4. Arginine and lysine have side chains with amino groups. Their side chains are fully protonated at pH 7.4.
"

Amino acid is broken up in a body with metabolism. A body doesn't keep extra amino acid - no pool. Part of amino acid are used for energy, muscle etc.

From THe Biology Project: "Unlike fat and starch, the human body does not store excess amino acids for later use—the amino acids must be in the food every day."

Some amino acids are bad for the health if excessive. No problem with others.

From JOurnal of Nutrition: "Adverse effects are apparent in animals when most (if not all) amino acids are taken in amounts that are disproportionate to the normal diet composition. In growing animals, this is generally apparent as a reduction in growth rate, but the magnitude of this effect and the ability of the animal to compensate vary widely. Also, large variation exists in the incidence and nature of adverse effects that are observed with different amino acids in adults. Moreover, no general rule or mechanism appears to account for the effects of all amino acids or even groups of amino acids. Neurological effects occur with a range of amino acids, but there appears to be no uniform mechanism. The most toxic amino acids for both animals and humans appear to be methionine, cysteine, and histidine. Not only do these amino acids have acute adverse effects, but evidence exists that they can cause tissue damage and increase homocysteine and/or cholesterol levels and so may be associated with chronic diseases if taken over long periods of time. However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans from most amino acid supplements. Nonetheless, for many amino acids, the data relevant to humans are very limited, so unanticipated adverse consequences of consuming large amounts cannot be ruled out. In particular, there are no data that would enable an upper level of safe intake to be established with confidence for any amino acid."

I know more about pH than amino acid. I don't know if we agree about amino acids - hope so! :)

Excellent research!

CFrom JOurnal of Nutrition: "Adverse effects are apparent in animals when most (if not all) amino acids are taken in amounts that are disproportionate to the normal diet composition. In growing animals, this is generally apparent as a reduction in growth rate, but the magnitude of this effect and the ability of the animal to compensate vary widely. Also, large variation exists in the incidence and nature of adverse effects that are observed with different amino acids in adults. Moreover, no general rule or mechanism appears to account for the effects of all amino acids or even groups of amino acids. Neurological effects occur with a range of amino acids, but there appears to be no uniform mechanism. The most toxic amino acids for both animals and humans appear to be methionine, cysteine, and histidine. Not only do these amino acids have acute adverse effects, but evidence exists that they can cause tissue damage and increase homocysteine and/or cholesterol levels and so may be associated with chronic diseases if taken over long periods of time. However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans from most amino acid supplements. Nonetheless, for many amino acids, the data relevant to humans are very limited, so unanticipated adverse consequences of consuming large amounts cannot be ruled out. In particular, there are no data that would enable an upper level of safe intake to be established with confidence for any amino acid."

This is "Western Medical Theory" Yes excess amino acid consumption
can be toxic and there for should only be done under the supervision
of a qualified medical practitioner. Many nutritionists are at odds over
the amino acid question and the pool does not exist."
I was taught that it did and then 24 years later taught that it didn't. However the statement that, "However, in general, there is little evidence of serious adverse effects in humans" is not true and in
addition there is much "relevant data to humans"

I am not on my own computer right now so I can't figure out how to
find the links and put them here, but google a search "amino acid
therapy" and you will find a lot of info.

For the average person it is safer to do amino acid therapy by
using foods. IE if you want to help get rid of a herpies out break
on your lip then you would eat foods high in L-lysine while avoiding
foods high in argenine. Again you would not do this for very long
if pregnant because this would theoretically inhibit nitric oxide in
your blood stream and make you more likely to have preeclampsia.

Because I am familiar with the therapy and have a medical background
I just buy individual amino acids and take those to help specific
conditions. like L-Taurine will help with migrane headaches and
has an anti seizure effect. L- Carnitine combined with L-Taurine
will help relieve symptoms of congestive heart failure. Some people
on certain anti depresant meds should never use amino acids
on their own.

Like ph the changes are very subtle and our western nutrition books
and even good ole Merk has some predjudices. To be fair source of
info even non western has its good and bad and me personally, if
I try something I give it two weeks to work and if not I chuck it.
Thats just me.I've never been good with decimals thanks for the
precision. But you can see that there is room for variance and
good health favors the alkaline over the acid however minute the
changes.

Again you did awsome research and I love this discourse!

:ty:

Interesting! I studied pH and buffer in chemistry and wrote 2 papers on body's ph and buffer system for a summer job to get lab credit.

I don't know much about amino acid. Thank you for the information. I will study it more. :)

Drinking lemon with my water is one of my favorite drinks. Lemon actually burns fat as well. It also gives it flavor to help you drink water more. The advantage of lemon juice also helps your avocado and guamole from turning brown.

Vitamin C

Vitamin C, one of the most important vitamins for human being, can be found in all green plants, especially citrus fruits.

Symptoms of Vitamin C deficiency are weakness, loss of appetite, loss of immune functions (particularly in kids), cold and flu, painful bones, joints and muscles.

Moreover, the lack of this vitamin can cause slow healing and upset the digestive system and mucous membranes.

That’s why Vitamins are essential…

Ascorbic acid, commonly known as Vitamin C, is functionally most relevant for collagen synthesis, that assists connective tissue integrity (by hydrogen bond between collagen proteins) of bone tissue , dentine and teeth, wound healing and burns, because it helps scar tissue formation. Furthermore, it enhances intestinal iron absorption, it’s essential to the synthesis of carnitine, in folic acid conversion into its active form THFA and in adrenalin and noradrenalin synthesis, which are two neurotransmitters of sympathetic nervous system, release in stressing circumstances and elaborated in medullary region of suprarenal glands.

Vitamin C is water-soluble nutrient; exposed to metals, alkalis, light or oxygen it easily oxidizes and its chemical formula is C6H8O6. Ascorbic Acid acts as an antioxidant, scavenging potentially harmful molecules called free radicals.

How, when and why intake vitamin C
The human body lacks the ability to synthesize and make Vitamin C and therefore depends on exogenous dietary sources to meet vitamin C needs, through a daily intake. Vitamin C can be found in all green plants, particularly in Citrus (Citrus Fruits). It’s useful for intracellular oxide reduction processes, causing an enhanced of aromatic amino acid metabolism and the leakage of some intracellular substances.

Overdoses: Vitamin C exhibits remarkably low toxicity, cause it is water-soluble. So it could cause diarreha but it won’t be absorbed by our tissues.

Recommended daily allowance (RDA): 50-75 mg per day, in adult and healthy people.

Pregnancy, lactation, hypothyroidism, surgery, inflammatory and chronic diseases request a major intake of Vitamin C. It’s worth to mention that boiling temperatures will destroy Vitamin C rapidly: in other words in any foodstuff a large percentage is lost on cooking. Smoking, stress, fever or gas inhalation do not allow a complete absorption of Vitamin C.

Sulfa drugs increase vitamin elimination, sodium bicarbonate, which create an alkaline environment, destroy Vitamin C and also too much water can damage our Ascorbic Acid body store.

The lack of Ascorbic Acid, in children from 2 to 20 months, is sometimes referred to as Barlow’s Disease, named after the physician who described it, rarely seen today in occidental countries.Basically, bottle-fed infants (with artificial milk poor in Vitamin C) suffer from fetid breath, coated tongue and subperiosteal hemorrhages. In adults, Vitamin C deficiency is often due to a wrong diet. Severe cases are know as a scurvy disease.

Focus on 100 gr. of Lemon
Vitamin C: 60 mg
Vitamin B1: 0,04 mg
Vitamin B2: 0,01 mg
Vitamin PP: 0,3 mg
Calcium: 14 mg
Phosphorus: 11 mg
Iron: 0,1 mg
Citric Acid: 6 g

Vitamin C

Everything about lemon.
Succo di limone Limmi.it

I made my own hot lemon when I get flu, fever and cold.

Drinking lemon with my water is one of my favorite drinks. Lemon actually burns fat as well. It also gives it flavor to help you drink water more. The advantage of lemon juice also helps your avocado and guamole from turning brown.

Yes but avacado have healthy fat and low cholesterol. I love avocado. I made my own avocado with seasoning including lemon juice, raw onion and garlic to spread on the rye bread...yummmmyyy

I always drink water with fresh lemon squeeze in the glass at the restruant or my house. I love it. I didnt realize, it is very good for my health. :)

Thanks for sharing the information.

Yes but avacado have healthy fat and low cholesterol. I love avocado. I made my own avocado with seasoning including lemon juice, raw onion and garlic to spread on the rye bread...yummmmyyy

What ?? Doctor told me avocado has high cholesterol and fat. That is why, I stop to eat it. * confuse*

What ?? Doctor told me avocado has high cholesterol and fat. That is why, I stop to eat it. * confuse*

Yes avocados has high in fat, but healthy and good fat. You has to limit it when you want to eat avocados.

No, there're no cholesterol in avocados but very low cholesterol.

Oh, i love water with lemon...
Whenever we go out to eat and if they dont have Iced
tea (unsweetened) or if i dont feel like Iced tea, then i ask for water
with lemon...I dont drink any kind of pop...not even
diet pop anymore..its not really good for you but thats
my doctor and my opinion, heh.

Yes avocados has high in fat, but healthy and good fat. You has to limit it when you want to eat avocados.

No, there're no cholesterol in avocados but very low cholesterol.

Yes, you are right, its a good fat and just have it in small amount
and of course, not every day. I love avocados! yummmmy! lol!

I am aware of avocado being fat cholesterol, this little recipe sounds good. Do I use chopped raw onion?

SHHHHHHHHH liebling, you making me hungry and you are so right avocado is a good fat just use it sparily.. more garlic please... lol smile..

yes lemon in water is great... I usually get that when I go out as well if I ordered a pepsi I will ask for Lemon to put in my pop.. it's good.. My grandma swore by the lemon and hot water is great just like when you have a cold it's just like neoitrin (I HATE THIS STUFF) but I can handle real lemon and hot water... Also I love Honey and Lemon in my Tea sometimes.

Well it's confusing as one will say it's bad and the other say it's good... I think you just go by your judgement as I wouldn't be able to not eat it... just eat it once awhile to savouring the taste. I don't see anything wrong with it...

I am aware of avocado being fat cholesterol, this little recipe sounds good. Do I use chopped raw onion?

I do chopped raw onion very finely for guacamole, don't forget to put in lots of garlic (fresh) for me.. smile

I love this when I go to Texas Longhorn for steak/chicken Fajitas, I must have lots of guacamole..

I love drinking lemon water and they are still healthy to drink. Buy them all the time at the store and stock them up, even when I go into a resturant to get water and always add lemon in my water. It better than drinknig soda.

Back