ABC/Classifiers Game

AlleyCat

Reaction score
Hey! As some of you know, my SO is taking his ASL classes. He has to sign the ABC's in classifier form (and as a story), and we are really stumped on a couple of letters. I'm trying not to help him -- all the words he has on his list he has learned from his classes already.

So, for example, for "A" (it cannot represent a word beginning with A such as Apple), he is considering "live", "B" for "door", "C" for "strange", etc. We are stumped on "E". I cannot think of a single sign using "E" without representing a word beginning with E. Same for Z.

Ideas, anyone?

Hey! As some of you know, my SO is taking his ASL classes. He has to sign the ABC's in classifier form (and as a story), and we are really stumped on a couple of letters. I'm trying not to help him -- all the words he has on his list he has learned from his classes already.

So, for example, for "A" (it cannot represent a word beginning with A such as Apple), he is considering "live", "B" for "door", "C" for "strange", etc. We are stumped on "E". I cannot think of a single sign using "E" without representing a word beginning with E. Same for Z.

Ideas, anyone?

E for emotional? For emergency? There's a whole host of others but I'm afraid they'd be SEE, :lol:

Hmm ... I wonder if I'm not explaining this right. You know how if you make an "A" you can sign "live" with that, or "help". Or "Y" can be for "party" or "play", etc. I need a word that can be signed with the "E" handshape without it being a word that starts with E. We simply cannot think of one. So it can't be "electricity", or "email". I'm starting to feel like one doesn't exist :lol:

Hmm ... I wonder if I'm not explaining this right. You know how if you make an "A" you can sign "live" with that, or "help". Or "Y" can be for "party" or "play", etc. I need a word that can be signed with the "E" handshape without it being a word that starts with E. We simply cannot think of one. So it can't be "electricity", or "email". I'm starting to feel like one doesn't exist :lol:

:lol: Sorry......

For Z, you can start with doing concepts for reading a book, but with one finger. Looking at four places, representing a Z shape, etc.

As for E, do some sort of concept. Like a biting motion, but thats usually the letter O. Opening a jewel box, using the thumb to "unlock" or "unlatch" it.

For Z, you can start with doing concepts for reading a book, but with one finger. Looking at four places, representing a Z shape, etc.

As for E, do some sort of concept. Like a biting motion, but thats usually the letter O. Opening a jewel box, using the thumb to "unlock" or "unlatch" it.

Ok, interesting ideas, thanks. E doesn't seem as easy as most other letters are. I may go sit in his class when they do their presentation and see what the kids come up with!

E--nervously biting your fingernails? :Ohno:

E--brush fingertips up and down on chest then examine their shine; like someone does when displaying pride in an accomplish.

Z--a variation on PFH's suggestion. Make the Z at eye level, and follow the movement of the finger with your eyes as though you're reading a posted notice and tracing the lines with your finger.

Hmm, you could combine the above with the nailbiter. Suppose the important notice that you're reading is an eviction notice? :Ohno:

Two-handed Z's parallel can describe a zigzag.

The thing that concerns me is that I think the teacher is looking for a specific word that uses a letter, rather than a concept. I told him to ask his teacher tomorrow about that.

All in all I think he had fun with this. We walked through the entire house and when I saw an object that I knew would use a letter to form a sign for that object without it starting with that letter (like I found a fork in the kitchen, I knew that would use the "v" and not "f" for fork), I would point it to him and had him think about what the sign and letter would be. We got through the whole alphabet with lots of possibilities except for E, Z, and also M and N. Even I can't think of anything for M and N either. The kids in his class are going to definitely tell some interesting stories! :lol:

Back