HDMI and Component/HDTV not support captioning?

I'm planning to subscribe the HD channels on Directv but I need looking at contract, that probably require to sign or not, if it does then forgot it cuz I don't have time to keep with contract.

Plus, I need HD receiver too, I only have SD receiver, ugh.

Hello,

Something new is out that I have got word of...A few new DVD players are now on the market so I hear that will let you use the HDMI and they have a decoder in the DVD player
that will let you use the CC........... I am going to look into that very good...
Also I have my DVD player set up with my Philips HD TV and I am using the the GREEN, BLUE, and RED Cables for my hook up to the TV... The C.C. comes in just great...
But you know it would of been so much better if the HDMI would of been set up to use the C.C. like the everyday DVD players do......And ones again people....you see it is all about ... MONEY!!!! They have everything then need to set up the C.C with the
HDMI...They just did not want to spend the money to do it....
Sorry!

Hello All,
Well I have looked into the DVD player from PHILIPS. and it will work with a HDMI cable and give you Closed Captions. It has the Captions Decoder in the DVD player.And for $130.
it is not a bad deal. And I also have found about five more players that do the same thing...
So people we are not out of luck... The Philips 5960 DVD player will do what you need...
Be well and safe all..

Mr.Moore

Is there a Samsung model that does the same thing as the Philips DVD player? Thanks.

HDMI And Closed Caption......

Hello All.

Well l I see there is all kind of talk about Closed Caption andthe HDMI cable....

1. I have a DVR Cable Box From Time Waner. THe Closed Caprion Comes In Jjust fine through the HDMI cable. I did have to set it with the Cable Box...
But I see when I use the HDMI cable with the cable box, my TV pitcher goes to the left about 1 foot???? ..Got me on that one. Going to take to the cable people about that......

2. They have out now DVD players that have a DE-Coder in them and will show the Closed Caption with the HDMI cable.. but you must look for them.. Online is a good place to start.....

Be Well.:ugh3:

Sorry if this is a repost. I have seen a few threads about DirecTV issues and HD broadcast issues and I discovered some hardware issues and closed captioning.

I just recently purchased a Samsung 50" 1080i DLP HDTV and was shocked to find out that the CC does not work via HDMI or Component connections (options on the TV are grayed out for CC using those connections).

I purchased an upconvert DVD player, hooked it up via HDMI and sure enough, no CC. Then I tried the crappy old composite (Y-R-W) cables and the captions work, but the picture is of course horrendous.

Apparently it seems that HDMI and Component video were never meant, or even made to transmit closed caption data. With all of the legal work that has been going on with pushing CC to be required, it seems technology has failed us again.

I also called my local cable provider (Time Warner Cable) inquiring about an HD package and their HD tuners use either component or HDMI hook ups... and they said their HD tuners to not have caption decoders!?

Ridiculous. So now, I'm not sure what the next step would be to enjoy anything in HD :pissed:

HDMI and Closed Caption....

Hello,

There should be.... ? Look very good, it is a new thing coming out.. more and more will do it...

Be well....

Is there a Samsung model that does the same
thing as the Philips DVD player? Thanks.

Spreading the wor

Hi, I'm new to this site and I wanted to spread with you about HDMI not supporting CC.
I'm Deaf and my husband grew fond of CC with me even though he doesn't read but likes to know that we are on same page as we try to follow what the show/commercials are saying.
You can look at this site and my husband posted last message on that forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=699933

As you guys can see that the forum has kept going on to solve the problem, but if there is anyway to make the message a lot bigger that hopefully will call attention to the companies.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a new DTV and turned on captioning. Actually the captioning on the digital channels is quite impressive. It is in real time instead of lagging as I have always seen on conventional tv's. I was impressed. I have yet to try it out on the component inputs. I know that's what the original post was about. Sorry for being off track.

In order to use CC decoder inside the TV and see CC using Component inputs, the source (i.e. DVD player) must be in interlaced (non-progressive) mode and 480 lines or less. 480i is not high definition. Also, the CC decoder must be analog, not digital.

I assumed you were watching HDTV programs using OTA antenna and were able to see CC. This is digital CC which is very different than analog CC. Digital CC decoder inside TV is only available from OTA inputs, not HDMI, Component or any other inputs.

In order to watch CC and HDTV using HDMI or Component inputs, you will need an external source like HDTV cable box or computer using special PVR like Media Center Edition. The external source must transmit CC through HDMI or Component cables. Also, you will have to enable digital CC via menu setup of external source. I do not know any DVD makers that transmits CC over HDMI or Component cables. Plus, DVD players are NOT high definition.

Personally, I prefer sub-titles (or SDH) when watching DVD movies. I like the transparent background of sub-titles as opposed to CC with solid black background. CC in DVD movies are slowly disappearing because sub-titles are easier and cheaper to make. As time goes on, the content of sub-titles are improving. We have to be patient.

Peter

After reading this thread, I had a thought. Could it be that things are different for digital because they are building CC into the technology and trying to improve things. Analog was around a long time before they added CC. They had to find a way to make CC work around a technology and they did that by adding the signal onto a line that is not visable on tv. That's why we had problems with them in the past. Now they are changing them to try to make them work better and more in time with dialog on tv. They are just doing it in a way that's so different that it's throwing us off on how to turn it on? Example

CC on analog is built in tv due to law passed few years ago.

now CC is now being decoded by cable box or etc before being delivered to TV. We are so used to turning it on using tv that the new way is throwing us off on how to make it work?

Also because it is new, they are probably experimating at our expense the best way to handle CC or subtitles. As said in last post, give them time.

I would appreicate any thoughts or comments. Like I said, it was just a thought and wanted to put that out. I am not saying I'm right or wrong. Just an observation.

Sorry if this is a repost. I have seen a few threads about DirecTV issues and HD broadcast issues and I discovered some hardware issues and closed captioning.

I just recently purchased a Samsung 50" 1080i DLP HDTV and was shocked to find out that the CC does not work via HDMI or Component connections (options on the TV are grayed out for CC using those connections).

I purchased an upconvert DVD player, hooked it up via HDMI and sure enough, no CC. Then I tried the crappy old composite (Y-R-W) cables and the captions work, but the picture is of course horrendous.

Apparently it seems that HDMI and Component video were never meant, or even made to transmit closed caption data. With all of the legal work that has been going on with pushing CC to be required, it seems technology has failed us again.

I also called my local cable provider (Time Warner Cable) inquiring about an HD package and their HD tuners use either component or HDMI hook ups... and they said their HD tuners to not have caption decoders!?

Ridiculous. So now, I'm not sure what the next step would be to enjoy anything in HD :pissed:

I have a plasma, hooked up with HDMI with both the DirectTV and the DVD player, and both do CC... maybe you have a setting wrong... I know the captions suck on HD right now bec it is a new format, and they are working on fix it... keep complain to FCC, and the cable company, get them to improve.

I have a plasma, hooked up with HDMI with both the DirectTV and the DVD player, and both do CC... maybe you have a setting wrong... I know the captions suck on HD right now bec it is a new format, and they are working on fix it... keep complain to FCC, and the cable company, get them to improve.

What is the model of your DVD player?

From what I know, the CC signal is stripped through the cable. They designed it to transmit only the video and audio, not a third signal. The only way to get CC is to have a DVD player with a CC decoder built-in, or in the DVR, HDTV receivers, etc.

I have heard that Panasonic DMREZ28, the DVD recorder/player is capable of overlaying the CC signal onto the video signal.

What is the model of your DVD player?

From what I know, the CC signal is stripped through the cable. They designed it to transmit only the video and audio, not a third signal. The only way to get CC is to have a DVD player with a CC decoder built-in, or in the DVR, HDTV receivers, etc.

I have heard that Panasonic DMREZ28, the DVD recorder/player is capable of overlaying the CC signal onto the video signal.

Yes HDMI is only there for 2 signals but CC is required by law to be part of the video signal. It is not and never has been a 3rd signal. according to law: (from the FCC.gov website)

(4) Closed captioning. The visual display of the audio portion of video programming contained in line 21 of the vertical blanking interval (VBI) pursuant to the technical specifications set forth in Section 15.119 of this chapter or the equivalent thereof.

They did this on purpose so it would be stuck inside of the video signal so broadcasters could not use any excuse for not sending through the captions.

Yes HDMI is only there for 2 signals but CC is required by law to be part of the video signal. It is not and never has been a 3rd signal. according to law: (from the FCC.gov website)

(4) Closed captioning. The visual display of the audio portion of video programming contained in line 21 of the vertical blanking interval (VBI) pursuant to the technical specifications set forth in Section 15.119 of this chapter or the equivalent thereof.

They did this on purpose so it would be stuck inside of the video signal so broadcasters could not use any excuse for not sending through the captions.

So in other words, the caption has to be decoded by whatever is sending the video to television instead of television doing the decoding as in past?

if DVD Movie with CC support on Blu-Ray Player, avaiable?

So in other words, the caption has to be decoded by whatever is sending the video to television instead of television doing the decoding as in past?

No, it has never changed. The decoding is done by the last item in the chain (in most cases by the TV itself).

Right now I have DishNetwork using their HD receiver, and with that the receiver is the part that decodes the CC, and sends it over the HDMI to the TV. It is not perfect (the SD channels get good CC, but some of the HD channels the CC can be jumpy).

True for analog or SDTV

But in HDTV CC is completely different and is in binary format rather than in analog so it is *not* supported in HDMI at all because when they set up the HDMI proctol to standardized it they assumed that the STB's end does the decoding and overlaying on the video instead of the TV itself and did not include the CC to the HDMI supported protocol.

Even on HDTV only way to watch SDTV or Analog programming "line 21" in CC is to use s-video or composite cable which defeats the purpose of owning a HDTV if you couldn't use any upconvert players to play them at higher reslotions. Because line21 is stripped when upcoverted. DVD player need to preserve the line 21 and convert it into a digital CC or overlay them before sending it out via HDMI.

Some HDTV like Vizio is allowing CC pass thur via compoments cables but it still HD to Analog to HD which really not a true HDTV however just as good as it can get.

I am just angry that they have so many bandwidth spaces avaible in HDMI for like broadcast flag or DRM etc to prevent you from copying their movie or show but they don't want to make room for a simple CC and tells the STB or provider it their end that they have to do the decoding .. not the TV end which is pretty stupid IMO. I rather see the DVD distribtors worry about putting CC in it than having cable company or DirectTV or Dish Network try to add the CC with their HDTV shows because it doesn't come with it embedded or they are trying to us it from analog shows and the timings are way OFF too that why you see problem or late CC on HDTV show since they are "borrowing" from the analog SDTV show rather than redoing the CC in HDTV format ie "Digital CC" or DCC

Back