First appointment

I have my first appointment on Sept 5th to see about getting CIs. What should I expect, and are there questions that I should be asking?

Best success on your visit.

If I recall from my visit a while ago, it is mostly a battery of hearing tests and determining your hearing background.

Yeah, I know from your descritpion that a high frequncy transponder prolly wouldn't work. It does work in cases where there is residual hearing......but seeing as you have none, I'd think that you're a perfect shoo-in. I know some implant centers refuse to implant adults who've been deaf for a wicked long time, but you do have the fact that you had a progressive loss on your side. Definitly good luck!

I have my first appointment on Sept 5th to see about getting CIs. What should I expect, and are there questions that I should be asking?

Damn, I'm anxious! :hyper:

No anti-CI bullshit, please.

Congrats on getting the ball rolling! Yes it's basically a battery of tests and you may also be advised as to realistic expectations of the process etc. My audie told me to remember that it would sound terrible to begin with and then it would improve from there and this has exactly been the case.

Let us know how you get on - it's only next week!!! :hyper:

Yeah, I know from your descritpion that a high frequncy transponder prolly wouldn't work. It does work in cases where there is residual hearing......but seeing as you have none, I'd think that you're a perfect shoo-in. I know some implant centers refuse to implant adults who've been deaf for a wicked long time, but you do have the fact that you had a progressive loss on your side. Definitly good luck!

Thanks, DD! :)

Oh.....another good question......what hearing levels are you hoping to acheive? Have you really really thought it over? Are you positive that you're not falling for the hype that some people have? These are basicily just rhetorical questions........I hope you get implanted, and I hope you get some hearing.....that would be cool!

Also, I think it'd be cool, too, IF you have some or a lot of auditory memory to discern speech. I assume that's what your'e after, right?

Oh.....another good question......what hearing levels are you hoping to acheive? Have you really really thought it over? Are you positive that you're not falling for the hype that some people have? These are basicily just rhetorical questions........I hope you get implanted, and I hope you get some hearing.....that would be cool!

I won't be expecting a lot..probably just enviromental noises and possibly music (I know I won't understand speech or words, though). I've been thinking about this for like 5 years now. I have just recently decided that it is time to get the ball rolling and hopefully make it a reality. :)

AWESOME!!!!!! AWESOME.....sounds like you've got a really realistic handle on this!!! WOOHOO......for once we don't have a Hearing Exchanger or a "I gotta upgrade b/c it's the latest thing! Hearing aids are so 20th Century!" type.

I won't be expecting a lot..probably just enviromental noises and possibly music (I know I won't understand speech or words, though). I've been thinking about this for like 5 years now. I have just recently decided that it is time to get the ball rolling and hopefully make it a reality. :)

Be hopeful, though. With training, you could learn to understand speech. I think it's worth doing!

Good luck! :)

AWESOME!!!!!! AWESOME.....sounds like you've got a really realistic handle on this!!! WOOHOO......for once we don't have a Hearing Exchanger or a "I gotta upgrade b/c it's the latest thing! Hearing aids are so 20th Century!" type.

DD, I've chatted with her, and I feel comfortable in speaking about this. She has a very profound loss and HAs don't work for her anymore. She just wants to be able to hear what she can hear since the HAs are useless to her now. If she can get even the slightest benefit from it, I think it's worth doing.

She is hardly the militant, you're making her out to be.

Congrats on your decision. On your "CI" journey you will feel more and more if this is the way to go for you or not.
Main thing is to start the journey and you just did just that!!.

Regarding the first steps, that will probably be registering how bad you actually hear, condition of your sensory nerves and codition of the cochlea (using scnning).
But then, you allreqady mentioned that you were a candidate, so I guess that it's more a formal "checkup ".
Enjoy the attention!

for once we don't have a Hearing Exchanger or a "I gotta upgrade b/c it's the latest thing! Hearing aids are so 20th Century!" type.

"For once"....is that just hyperbole or do you really believe that the majority of people only get CIs to be trendy? :dunno:

And what is a "Hearing Exchanger?"

"For once"....is that just hyperbole or do you really believe that the majority of people only get CIs to be trendy? :dunno:

And what is a "Hearing Exchanger?"
"Hearing Exchanger" (to describe a member of Hearing Exchange at hearingexchange.com ) like we call those member of AD as "ADer" :)

Yes I agree it is hyberbole to blah blah this stuff... this is because she was kicked out of HE and banned. so you can say she has grudge against those...

I find HE harmless... I would agree with the owner of HE that DD knows nothing because she does not have one or experience one. I do, the owner do and you do. :D

Ohhhhh! Okay. I was beginning to think a "Hearing Exchanger" was someone who exchanged one form of hearing for another in order to be trendy :) I'm glad I asked.

Back