which insurance will pay for hearing aids ?

radioman

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am curious about my possible options for having medical insurance pay for hearing aids. What were your experience? what are the possible options ? I believe it may be time to gerte my HA replaced. FYI - medicare is not part of my options so I am looking for feedback on anything right now. Can you guys help ?

My HMO paid $400 max on Hearing Aid. I paid the rest.
The HMO covered 100% of both my CIs. I may have to pay a $250 copay for my second CI surgery and maybe cable/phone for the overnight stay. Don't know yet. Surgery was 3 weeks ago.
Steve

My insurance paid nothing at all for either ha. Only wore it in one ear, but the first was useless after 6 months. Second is almost as useless 6 months later.
CI totally covered by insurance, have not had to pay anything other than 3 office visits.

Mine paid nothing also. They said its "cosmetic" what the heck!! Sorry I want to hear! lol

Mine paid nothing also. They said its "cosmetic" what the heck!! Sorry I want to hear! lol

I agree it's BS when they say its cosmetic for HOH to wear hearing aids. HMMM - these are the same people who complain about us not hearing the cars honking at us for saftey issues ? LOL .

My HMO paid $400 max on Hearing Aid. I paid the rest.
The HMO covered 100% of both my CIs. I may have to pay a $250 copay for my second CI surgery and maybe cable/phone for the overnight stay. Don't know yet. Surgery was 3 weeks ago.
Steve

Which HMO are you referring to. And CI's is not a option for me either. Needs to be BTE HA . sorry i wasnt clear on this either.

i have medicaid and when i wore aids, they always paid for them in full.

a lot of insurance companies don't cover hearing aids at all. medicaid/medicare in some states may cover them or help pay for part of them. Insurance companies are tricky like that.

medicare does not pay for hearing aids -- period.

mediciad or medicare not sure which, paid for mine but that was nearly 20years ago. not sure whats the current polciy is now. not sure if I can get my wife's blue choice to pay for it or not or how do i go about saying the right thing ?

mediciad or medicare not sure which, paid for mine but that was nearly 20years ago. not sure whats the current polciy is now. not sure if I can get my wife's blue choice to pay for it or not or how do i go about saying the right thing ?

medicaid pays for hearing aids, but medicare no longer does.

as for your wife's insurance paying for your hearing aids, i don't know if that's an option. i would talk to your audi further about that.

We have Kaiser and we are allotted $1,000.00 every two years towards the purchase of a hearing aid.

aidendad- looks like humana is a medicare plan.

Tousi - looks like kaiser would cost me over 300 a month just for me to pay my own way.. yikes too much !!

I know medicaid will pay for hearing aids in some cases. I am told you have to have like 50-60% or more of total hearing loss across the board and they'll typically only pay for one. Its usually a low powered analog hearing aid too.

I know medicaid will pay for hearing aids in some cases. I am told you have to have like 50-60% or more of total hearing loss across the board and they'll typically only pay for one. Its usually a low powered analog hearing aid too.

not in all cases. medicaid paid for a top of the line set of digitals (oticon digifocus II super power BTEs) for me. then again, i also had severe-profound hearing loss, so i wouldn't have benefitted from low powered hearing aids. since i was totally blind, they paid for two hearing aids instead of one. if the OP has a visual impairment of any kind, i would suggest that they talk to their audi to see if he/she can petition medicaid to cover the cost of two hearing aids.

nope, no visual impairment , although i might need glasses in the future lol! i been doing research on line and came across a couple insurance. now i need to get more info. one of them is called plan plus. at 10 bucks a month you get 10-20 percent off HAand services. you also get to save 20-40 percent on prescriptions as well. This is only a supplemental insurance , not a medical insurance.
The other one i am looking at is ESCO where you pay 220 big ones which is more of extra protection for HA that is in a good shape that "extends" warranties and will replace lost,damaged,stolen hearing aids.

not what i am looking for , but hey its a place to start right ?

nope, no visual impairment , although i might need glasses in the future lol! i been doing research on line and came across a couple insurance. now i need to get more info. one of them is called plan plus. at 10 bucks a month you get 10-20 percent off HAand services. you also get to save 20-40 percent on prescriptions as well. This is only a supplemental insurance , not a medical insurance.
The other one i am looking at is ESCO where you pay 220 big ones which is more of extra protection for HA that is in a good shape that "extends" warranties and will replace lost,damaged,stolen hearing aids.

not what i am looking for , but hey its a place to start right ?

yes, that's a good start. :) another option you might want to consider is contating your local lions club. they have a specific program designed to provide hearing aids for those in need.

not in all cases. medicaid paid for a top of the line set of digitals (oticon digifocus II super power BTEs) for me. then again, i also had severe-profound hearing loss, so i wouldn't have benefitted from low powered hearing aids. since i was totally blind, they paid for two hearing aids instead of one. if the OP has a visual impairment of any kind, i would suggest that they talk to their audi to see if he/she can petition medicaid to cover the cost of two hearing aids.

I assuming you live in a different state. The laws are different from state to state.

Back